House Price Crash Forum

Will Rental Contracts Contravene Human Rights

Rain'ard

HOLA441

I wonder how long it will be when some AST contracts will contravene European Human Rights. The fact, that in most agreements, of keeping pets, smoking musical instruments etc, are restricted.

The above choices are open to the owner occupier, and to bear in mind that statuary law supersedes the law of contract.

HOLA442

I wonder how long it will be when some AST contracts will contravene European Human Rights. The fact, that in most agreements, of keeping pets, smoking musical instruments etc, are restricted.

The above choices are open to the owner occupier, and to bear in mind that statuary law supersedes the law of contract.

Might do now?

Any legals can say?

However, it would probably require a test case which might have to go all the way to Europe and take years.

Whether a class action could be taken out I don't know.

Then cost, whether legal aid would be granted, because this wouldn't be cheap.

Cherie, for instance, not on mimimum wage.

And, as so many see renting as "temporary", who would want the hassle?

I suppose it might boil down to whether the courts viewed the house as a "home" for the tenant or a "property" of the landlord.

If you lease a car you can do what you like with it, but will have a bill to pay at the lease end if you have damaged it.

HOLA443

All it takes is one landmark case to shift the power base from the landlord to the tennant.

Anyone want to take their landlord to court for such a purpose?

Any hero types out there?

HOLA444

The situation I'd like to see tested is when Bertie BTL goes bung, the lender repos and then chucks out the tennant with a month regardless of the duration of the original let. I see no reason that if lenders want to use the BTL playground as a source of funds that they should have to adhere to as strict if not stricter terms if they go lending out money without due care and attention.

HOLA445

Human rights legislation mostly affects your relationship with government, not with what can and can't be specified in a private contract entered into freely and without duress.

HOLA446
Human rights legislation mostly affects your relationship with government, not with what can and can't be specified in a private contract entered into freely and without duress.

that is, provided the actual private contract signed is not in breech of the human rights act.

any conditions assigned to the contract which break the guidelines can be acted upon later.

for instance.

you couldnt come up with a private contract for live liver donation for money or a contract to supply under age workers with signed parents consent. you can write what you want on a private contract, but the jurisdiction of law precedes it.

HOLA447

I don't really think anyone has the right to smoke their landlord's musical instruments.

HOLA448