House Price Crash Forum
dom

Grand Designs

Anyone see it tonight?

Bizarre polystyrene and concrete monstrosity that was supposed to cost £200k, ended up costing £400k

I could not believe the incompetence of the 'experts' when they decided to fill the 'Lego' blocks with concrete in one go, then cut up the £8k stair case to make it fit!! What did they think would happen?

Mentalists!

Anyone see it tonight?

Bizarre polystyrene and concrete monstrosity that was supposed to cost £200k, ended up costing £400k

I could not believe the incompetence of the 'experts' when they decided to fill the 'Lego' blocks with concrete in one go, then cut up the £8k stair case to make it fit!! What did they think would happen?

Mentalists!

Yeah I watched that too. I've seen the polystyrene system before. Did he say something about it being 2.5x stronger and 1.5x more insulating than a equivalent block wall. I think its a great invention, as I've just finished a 'monster' build of an extension myself. Blocking is a whole world of pissyness, and to think, using the poly system I could have built the structure up in a day, and filled it the next.

Bit dodgy of him to fill it in one go though. Thats a hell of a lot of weight in concrete, I thought it would never take it, and it did blow in one place. I remember when I made some channels out of plywood to get ready-mixed concrete from one end of the house to other. The operator sent it down too fast and it piled up halfway and blew the sides of my channel out. Bloody concrete was all over the place, we were wading through it in the middle of the house... what a mess!

Seriously thinking of using that poly system to build my dream home... Hmmmmm

Yeah I watched that too. I've seen the polystyrene system before. Did he say something about it being 2.5x stronger and 1.5x more insulating than a equivalent block wall. I think its a great invention, as I've just finished a 'monster' build of an extension myself. Blocking is a whole world of pissyness, and to think, using the poly system I could have built the structure up in a day, and filled it the next.

Bit dodgy of him to fill it in one go though. Thats a hell of a lot of weight in concrete, I thought it would never take it, and it did blow in one place. I remember when I made some channels out of plywood to get ready-mixed concrete from one end of the house to other. The operator sent it down too fast and it piled up halfway and blew the sides of my channel out. Bloody concrete was all over the place, we were wading through it in the middle of the house... what a mess!

I only caught the end of it, but I did get the feeling, that the lady was getting ripped off big style. That window firm should definately have been paying for the mistakes they made.

You are optimistic about a day. We were told two people, two weeks for a typical house. The concrete fibre was a great addition but pouring the concrete in one load was always going to be a false economy.

As for the windows why on earth wasn't the project manager chasing them for the cost overruns?

I only caught the end of it, but I did get the feeling, that the lady was getting ripped off big style. That window firm should definately have been paying for the mistakes they made.

Yep, my brother in law and I watched it and both got that impression.

I think she only let it slide as she was very pragmatic and old and as a result didn't need the aggro.

As an Engineer, I couldn't believe that they were going to fill it all in one go. I was amazed that the building maintained it's integrity.

Shame the house looked like Archie's house out of Balamory in the end!, (for all you parents out there!) :rolleyes:

Yep, my brother in law and I watched it and both got that impression.

I think she only let it slide as she was very pragmatic and old and as a result didn't need the aggro.

As an Engineer, I couldn't believe that they were going to fill it all in one go. I was amazed that the building maintained it's integrity.

Shame the house looked like Archie's house out of Balamory in the end!, (for all you parents out there!) :rolleyes:

I didn't see the concrete pooring fiasco, but I guess that explains the bowing effect in the tower.

I hope the architect's reputation is destroyed as it deservs to be. Often when builds go over budget it is largely down to the client changing the spec, or unavoidable factors such as weather... the client here changed nothing therefore the architects estimate of cost (and she said it was 'more' when Kevin suggested the 400K figure) was so far out as to be laughable, I think he was taking advantage of a little old lady client to experiment with some products/methods that interested him. As architects are usually paid a percentage of the final cost something of a conflict of interest can creep in... the architects involved in the building of the scottish parliament made huge profits due to the mismanagement and massive overspend on that little project..

Did you notice how they were blurring out the faces of the workmen as they were repairing the leaky windows.

It felt like a bit of a 'Yes Card Credit' moment.

Yes and I also noticed we didn't see much of the architect on screen towards the end - could it be he was hiding? No doubt he didn't want to face awkward questions about the massive overspend from Kevin..

I think this program is middle class elitist nonsense for people who have more money than sense.

As far as the old lady was concerned it was all monopoly money, she had a bridging loan from the old house and that would sell for more than £400k, so nobody actually had to find any real money.

Anyone see it tonight?

Mentalists!

I like grand designs.. sometimes they achieve great things..:)

I think this program is middle class elitist nonsense for people who have more money than sense.

Correct!

I like grand designs.. sometimes they achieve great things..:)

I agree apom, some of the people on it are building genuinely interesting structures and allowing architects and builders to experiment with things that may end up benefiting loads of us in the future, so I'm all for it ... as long as they're using their own money I can't see that it hurts anyone