House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CommonSense

Archimedes, Ipods And The Disintegration Of Sympathy

It is obvious to me that those who have purchased recently are going to get stung and stung badly.

My question is whether I should extend any sympathy for these poor lambs.

Additionally, should I extend more sympathy for those who were led blindly than for the others those who proudly wore ‘£-sign’ contact lenses and listened to what must have been a seemingly endless loop of ‘Yakety-Axe’ ringing through their credit bought ipods?

Well to me, they are no different, as their collective stupidities have helped exasperate this farcical economic pile-up to the point of astonishment.

Will I shed a tear for these idiots & vultures, who, through their ineptitude & gluttony scripted the prologue to their own economic disintegration?

Erm … no.

For these deceived and deceivers now need buckets of my money, your money, our money to bail the putrid shark infested water already seeping over the hull of their boat we so ‘comically’ missed. A boat that now exists outside the buoyancy rules of Archimedes' principle.

And yes, I am in a strange mood.

It is obvious to me that those who have purchased recently are going to get stung and stung badly.

My question is whether I should extend any sympathy for these poor lambs.

Additionally, should I extend more sympathy for those who were led blindly than for the others those who proudly wore ‘£-sign’ contact lenses and listened to what must have been a seemingly endless loop of ‘Yakety-Axe’ ringing through their credit bought ipods?

Well to me, they are no different, as their collective stupidities have helped exasperate this farcical economic pile-up to the point of astonishment.

Will I shed a tear for these idiots & vultures, who, through their ineptitude & gluttony scripted the prologue to their own economic disintegration?

Erm … no.

For these deceived and deceivers now need buckets of my money, your money, our money to bail the putrid shark infested water already seeping over the hull of their boat we so ‘comically’ missed. A boat that now exists outside the buoyancy rules of Archimedes' principle.

And yes, I am in a strange mood.

Now you, back to writing the novel!

Remember, in bad times people like happy stories.

:)

Thats what I think until things such as this happen:

A freind who is high up in Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward (large London E/A) has just informed me completed sales ytd are 20% up on last year, and last year was pretty good!

He has never bull3hitted me in the past, there is absolutely no reason for him to, and in the past when it has been quiet he's always been first to say so.

In conclusion he said that the HPC site must be full of perma - bears who will have a life - long bleak outlook.

He may have a point. I remember the 1970s - total economic turmoil yet life went on, people made extravagent films, bought houses, started business's, went to concerts, opened Indian Restaurants, bought Morris Princess's, holidayed in Spain etc - you get my drift. Despite the Dr Bubbs of this world - humans overcome and life goes on.

Some of you really seriously ought to consider whether your current flirtation with bearishness will be life - long. I guarantee for many of you bearishness will become part and parcel of who you are. Always seeing danger on the horizon. Twas ever thus.

Now you, back to writing the novel!

Remember, in bad times people like happy stories.

:)

Indeed, I'm trying to imagine how 'It's a Wonderful Life' would have panned out if George Bailey had been an Estate Agent.

Hmmm

A freind who is high up in Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward (large London E/A) has just informed me completed sales ytd are 20% up on last year, and last year was pretty good!

He has never bull3hitted me in the past, there is absolutely no reason for him to, and in the past when it has been quiet he's always been first to say so.

In conclusion he said that the HPC site must be full of perma - bears who will have a life - long bleak outlook.

He may have a point. I remember the 1970s - total economic turmoil yet life went on, people made extravagent films, bought houses, started business's, went to concerts, opened Indian Restaurants, bought Morris Princess's, holidayed in Spain etc - you get my drift. Despite the Dr Bubbs of this world - humans overcome and life goes on.

Some of you really seriously ought to consider whether your current flirtation with bearishness will be life - long. I guarantee for many of you bearishness will become part and parcel of who you are. Always seeing danger on the horizon. Twas ever thus.

yes, dogbox, i remember (1976 i think!) the then chancellor Dennis Healey going to the IMF for a loan something only the likes of Argentina would normally do......the country was controlled by the Trades unions.....and Germany and Japan were powering ahead of us with their industrial might ......Doomsters at the time were predicting economic meltdown...

Some of the perma bears in here will never buy ......as they will always see any potential future economic woes as an impending disaster and there are always to some degree these economic dark clouds on the horizon...........They are by nature pessimists

Edited by Michael

Indeed, I'm trying to imagine how 'It's a Wonderful Life' would have panned out if George Bailey had been an Estate Agent.

Hmmm

You pen today's version of that and retirement beckons.

Feelgood, that's what'll be needed.

Aah.

I'm not a permabear, I just refuse to buy into property now. If I do, I feel I'll live to regret it, my circumstances suit me renting for the moment. Living life? I'm getting on with it, moving forward in my career, doing the best I can for the missus and the kid, training for a marathon.

Life doesnt revolve around houses, it never did.

I'm not a permabear, I just refuse to buy into property now. If I do, I feel I'll live to regret it, my circumstances suit me renting for the moment. Living life? I'm getting on with it, moving forward in my career, doing the best I can for the missus and the kid, training for a marathon.

Life doesnt revolve around houses, it never did.

Well said murpaul. I think you echo the sentiments of the (sometimes silent) majority on this site.

dogbox et al are being bearish themselves in picking up only on the "permabears" (are there any???)

Financial responsibility isn't pessimism.

NDL

yes, dogbox, i remember (1976 i think!) the then chancellor Dennis Healey going to the IMF for a loan something only the likes of Argentina would normally do......the country was controlled by the Trades unions.....and Germany and Japan were powering ahead of us with their industrial might ......Doomsters at the time were predicting economic meltdown...

Some of the perma bears in here will never buy ......as they will always see any potential future economic woes as an impending disaster and there are always to some degree these economic dark clouds on the horizon...........They are by nature pessimists

Not in my case.

I own a property outright and have a nice stash of cash/share exposure at present so am in a very nice situation (and appreciate being very lucky without trying to sound like an arrogant tw@t)........but I am extremly bearish on property as I can see how ludicrously over priced it currently is (IMO).

This crazy economic cycle we are in fueled by consumer debt (my mum always told me money doesn,t grow on trees) has to end somewhere the sooner it does the better & the less sharp the pain and believe me its going to be painful.

Call me an uber-bear or whatever you want but to me its simply related to basic values I was lucky enough to be bought up with that have given me the common sense to see that this is a complete charade and somewhere down the line we will have to pay the piper.

As a semi-bear, i'm viewing the whole house purchase thing as a cost/benefit decision.

For price X I can buy a grotty 2 bed flat in a lousy area; or I can rent a very nice one in a good area. I earn enough to be able to stock up my pension and save up for the inevitable rainy day. So, I rent and save.

In event of HPC, I will break the glass on my savings box and buy. But if there really is a 'new paradigm' then I don't mind. Having rented and owned, I have to say I prefer renting. Way less hassle.

Some members get carried away on here; some to gloat, some reeking of desperation. They need to get out more. Neither Avarice nor Envy are admirable traits.

I am currently an uberbear on housing and stocks, but never a permabear.

I was wary of UK housing in 1989, and was the only one of my friends not to buy. I was investing in China in 1992. I rode the UK housing boom up, and got off just after the top. I rode the US dot com boom up and got off quite a bit before the top (no good at timing bubbles). I'm currently riding a gold boom up. I'm nosing around the ground floor of an alternative energy boom. I also think there is value in German and Japanese property, and even remote, low-flood risk UK rural property with land in National Parks and unspoilt areas.

I expect to be riding a nanotechnology, machine intelligence and consumer robotics boom up in about four or five years. I think there is value in wasteland sites considered too degraded ever to be reclaimed, like Chernobyl (but a political risk of being forced to carry out premature cleanups before the technology is cheap enough).

Then I expect an economic explosion of money, similar to the dawn of the industrial age, in a decade or two (or three) when smarter-than-human machine intelligence kicks in with full molecular manufacturing nanotechnology.

I also expect dismay and decline amongst the unemployable Western general human population as their jobs are shipped abroad and then globally as jobs go to machines, and as peak oil fears hit, which is why I want to ensconce myself somewhere quiet and safe. (I also hope politicians will spread out the benefits from nanotech, and give people the financial security to find out what they want to do in a world that doesn't need their labour. Joyful artist scientists hopefully. But look at the mirror of the web to see the likely wild choices.)

Finally I expect to transcend into a techno-rapturous glorious Technological Singularity (click link). Or meet Jesus/Allah/the void/whatever.

:D:D:D

Durch - you have a beautiful mind. :)

I am currently an uberbear on housing and stocks, but never a permabear.

I expect to be riding a nanotechnology, machine intelligence and consumer robotics boom up in about four or five years. I think there is value in wasteland sites considered too degraded ever to be reclaimed, like Chernobyl (but a political risk of being forced to carry out premature cleanups before the technology is cheap enough).

Then I expect an economic explosion of money, similar to the dawn of the industrial age, in a decade or two (or three) when smarter-than-human machine intelligence kicks in with full molecular manufacturing nanotechnology.

I also expect dismay and decline amongst the unemployable Western general human population as their jobs are shipped abroad and then globally as jobs go to machines, and as peak oil fears hit, which is why I want to ensconce myself somewhere quiet and safe. (I also hope politicians will spread out the benefits from nanotech, and give people the financial security to find out what they want to do in a world that doesn't need their labour. Joyful artist scientists hopefully. But look at the mirror of the web to see the likely wild choices.)

:D:D:D

I've seen that future, nanomachines that will detoxify contaminated land.

Consumer goods, made by nanotechnology before your eyes.

Download the specification.

I also remember some 20 or so years ago we were told that computers would mean untold leisure for most with the income for it.

Hasn't happened has it?

Computers have enslaved many.

As will nonotechnology.

However, find a safe, secure, reasonably remote place.

That I can go with.

not just manomachines.....

mighty digital aluminium armadillo's, each with the brute force of 16 men. (22 nanobots). each able to move 5 tonnes of contaminated land with one scoop of its teflon coated front claws. if 4 mighty digital aluminium armadillo's stood end on end, they would be as tall as nelsons column, or half a blackpool tower.

the mighty digital aluminium armadillo's are programmed with the internal workings of Simon - the 1980s battery powered memory game. green for left, red for right. yellow start digging. blue destroy all humans. (taped up).

also. carbon fibre upside down pyramids. made from moulds, these are placed into square holes in the floor to make stylish, movable seats.

I actually think AI could be an incredible prospect.

Think about it - something that cleaned the toilet for you, and then cleaned itself. Amazing.

Think about it - something that cleaned the toilet for you, and then cleaned itself. Amazing.

No offence, RichM, but that sound like the cleaners we have today (unless you know one with a personal hygiene problem?). :P

No offence, RichM, but that sound like the cleaners we have today (unless you know one with a personal hygiene problem?). :P

Yeah but the wife is getting really hacked off with doing it all the time...

Cleaning the toilet, that is

Guest Bart of Darkness

So did I until I saw it. I think Spielberg's done far better films IMO.