House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Joe

Stock Markets Today?

What is causing the fall in the stock markets today? FTSE etc seem to been spooked by something?

Any ideas?

Mr Joe.

The BOE latest minutes reported 9-0 to leave rates on hold, the market had priced in a rate cut in November, also alot of the FTSE has just gone ex-dividend.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dicky

What is causing the fall in the stock markets today? FTSE etc seem to been spooked by something?

Any ideas?

Mr Joe.

According toBBC news website, so far FTSE down 1.47% on the day, Dax down 2.04%, CAC 40 down 1.76% AEX 1.44% down, and even Brussels down 1.30%.

One of the benefits of european integration (tongue in cheek!)

According toBBC news website, so far FTSE down 1.47% on the day, Dax down 2.04%, CAC 40 down 1.76% AEX 1.44% down, and even Brussels down 1.30%.

If the expected change in the market is approx plus or minus 15% a year, then the expected daily change is plus or minus 1% I think, isn't it?

US indices fell yesterday on worries about the prospect of faster inflation in the USA following news of a 1.9 per cent rise in producer prices. This probably increases the chances of US higher interest rates and a stronger dollar. The pound is also climbing, presumably on the reduced chance of an interest rate cut here as minutes of the MPC meeting, released this morning, showed arguments for a rate cut were not even discussed. :o:o

US indices fell yesterday on worries about the prospect of faster inflation in the USA following news of a 1.9 per cent rise in producer prices. This probably increases the chances of US higher interest rates and a stronger dollar. The pound is also climbing, presumably on the reduced chance of an interest rate cut here as minutes of the MPC meeting, released this morning, showed arguments for a rate cut were not even discussed. :o:o

It's a hard life being an MPC member. Rates held for over a year, one change and then there's nothing to discuss again :)

BTW, the "cause" of this fall in stock market was:

Overvaluation, and excessive bullish sentiment, these began to fade weeks ago,

I'm not sure I agree entirely with that. Overvaluation is certainly not the case wrt gilts, UNLESS gilt yields rise rapidly (and I'm suspecting you might be thinking this). Gold, maybe.

Excessive bullish sentiment? Can I ask you whether you are making a distinction between market regulars and the man on the street here Doc. As far as you and I might be concerned, yes the market has been going too far too fast, but the man on the street barely knows stocks exist.

HOWEVER, I agree your views make more sense than the countless "media packaged" views ie:

Wilma cat 5, stocks down, missing oil installations, oils down

Black Monday Anniversary (18 years ago)

Techs off (intel)

US inflation

UK MPC minutes

Refco being fire sold today

All mean nothing without sentiment and valuation - look at 7/7's immediate bounce.

Meanwhile, I thought you might be amused by this. Poor old Tom. He's only got to stand up and lecture on TA in 2 days time!

"Tom Hougaard was once introduced at a seminar as the "man with off-the-wall trading techniques". "

Two points of view here:

"right, buying att he top: that is off the wall"

"buying at the top: what's so "off the wall" about that?"

:P

Edited by Sledgehead

It has lost more in the last 10 days than it did on "black monday".

Is this not a crash? Albeit a slow one......

The reality is sinking in slowly. IQ 160 and above have sold. Next week IQ 158 and above....

I have to agree with this and Sledgehead’s sentiments about market “news”. A few weeks ago I felt that we could see the FTSE running up “unchecked” to 6500. The problem was that I wasn’t thinking at all. It’s easy to be hypnotised by poor analysis and seeing bad news as good news. (Indeed I think I was giving too much attention to events loosely linked, or even external, to the reality of the situation). I’m disappointed with myself. I should know better! – Been here before.

In any event I’ve significantly reduced all of my holdings, leaving very long term positions for income, (and CGT) reasons.

Notice that the Dow closed up:

10,414.13[ + ]

Change 128.87

% Change 1.25%

Another victory for sentiment over news. FTSE will rally tomoroow too.

Some Dow calls that I bough on the opening closed up with 200%+ gains on the day

Doc, you're a site treasure and an exceptional trader. And you're making me feel bad. So why do I love it so much?

Also a good excuse to take profits on some sectors. After Wall St last night, the FTSE will probably rise, but the overall trend looks bearsih at the moment. Over sold perhaps, but I don't see any real strength in the market at the moment.