HOLA441
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Ah, the residents of my home town on form. Will "chain themselves to the railings" apparently, to prevent 99p store lowering house prices...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2115498/Haywards-Heath-residents-outraged-opening-99p-shop.html

They have a point, youd expect it to be a bit more upmarket, Maybe a poundland might be more appropriate?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

They have a point, youd expect it to be a bit more upmarket, Maybe a poundland might be more appropriate?

:lol:

"This is shocking news, it'll bring down house prices! ..."

How obsessed is this country with their precious house prices.

I really thought that headline above was a joke when I first read it. :rolleyes:

HOLA446

Surely any trader should be able to setup business, and if there is sufficient local demand for his products then the business will survive. If not it will close down. Let the free market decide. Just how it should be.

It disturbs me that I live amongst people who would apparently prefer a society where force is used to prevent two perfectly legal parties (the retailer and their customers) from trading, by a completely unconnected 3rd party, just because it "offends" their misplaced and ignorant sensibilities. That's a pretty scary society that they seem to want.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I am a resident of this wonderful place. I reproduce below the text of a reply I sent to the Haywards Heath Society, when they asked the residents’ opinion about the proposed redevelopment in 2006.

Dear Haywards Heath Society

Haywards Heath is a London suburb plonked down in the middle of the once lovely Sussex countryside. Parts of it do look like Walsall after a nuclear strike, but sneaking in loads more housing under the guise of redevelopment will make little difference. It will be just as horrible but in a different way.

Most of it will never happen anyway, as they will never be able to develop the station area. There is simply no need for a new station, just a properly maintained one. Their record of redevelopment trade-offs does not impress. When will the relief road be finished? Somehow the houses got built and infilled anyway. Funny that. Now Haywards Heath is joined up with Burgess Hill [Ferretville] in one ugly sprawl.

If they really think a few naff bars in the Broadway are a mark of civilisation, then they are even more deluded than their plans imply. No wonder young Haywards Heathian sensation-seekers head off to Brighton [bougreville] and even Crawley [words fail] for a night of pleasure, a thing never known in Haywards Heath [the arm-pit of West Sussex.]

Thank you for your kind offer to join the Haywards Heath Society. However, I shall reconsider your proposition only when Haywards Heath is finally demolished and returned to pasture, and neighbouring Burgess Hill razed to the ground and the earth sown with salt.

Yours, in Satan

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I am a resident of this wonderful place. I reproduce below the text of a reply I sent to the Haywards Heath Society, when they asked the residents’ opinion about the proposed redevelopment in 2006.

Dear Haywards Heath Society

Haywards Heath is a London suburb plonked down in the middle of the once lovely Sussex countryside. Parts of it do look like Walsall after a nuclear strike, but sneaking in loads more housing under the guise of redevelopment will make little difference. It will be just as horrible but in a different way.

Most of it will never happen anyway, as they will never be able to develop the station area. There is simply no need for a new station, just a properly maintained one. Their record of redevelopment trade-offs does not impress. When will the relief road be finished? Somehow the houses got built and infilled anyway. Funny that. Now Haywards Heath is joined up with Burgess Hill [Ferretville] in one ugly sprawl.

If they really think a few naff bars in the Broadway are a mark of civilisation, then they are even more deluded than their plans imply. No wonder young Haywards Heathian sensation-seekers head off to Brighton [bougreville] and even Crawley [words fail] for a night of pleasure, a thing never known in Haywards Heath [the arm-pit of West Sussex.]

Thank you for your kind offer to join the Haywards Heath Society. However, I shall reconsider your proposition only when Haywards Heath is finally demolished and returned to pasture, and neighbouring Burgess Hill razed to the ground and the earth sown with salt.

Yours, in Satan

+1

Average* price of properties for sale in Haywards Heath: £301,335

Average* price of properties for sale in Potters Bar: £833,121

Potters Bar had a poundland 15 years ago...perhaps they are behind the curve :lol:

HOLA4411

99p stores are excellent value. id like one in my town...................different if they are building right next door to your property, coz whether its a shop of block of flats that would cause a problem with its value.

Move to Huddersfield. Its pretty much all Poundlands and Poundworlds here, interspersed with such leading brands as "Scope" "Barnardos" and "British Heart Foundation." Recovereh!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Ah they sneaked a 99p store into Lymington (average HPI £350K+), the town too posh for Argos and Wetherspoons. Mr Lalani remarks that this store is one of the busiest on his books.

A little bird tells me the large Cancer Research charity shop there is closing down as the rents are too high - not even the charity shops are surviving.

HOLA4414

Lucky for me the nearest 99p store is five miles away, no way do I want them to lower the tone of my area. We have always been a Waitrose area and just tolerate Tesco and Sainsburys but are easier on Morrison the upmarket of the other two. I despair as I see the country going to the dogs. I bet Cameron would not stand a 99p store in his road. :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

This comment seemed to sum up the piece:

It seems to me that the joke is on the Mail - Haywards Heath certainly has more than its share of snobs, but all the comments quoted are clearly ironic. Cos if there is one thing more common than snobbery in HH it is a sense of irony. (PS. I live just to the right of the lower picture...)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least a slight underbelly of "this development will lower house prices" in some parts of town.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm with the NIMBYs basically, but not because of house prices, but the fact that there's no need for these cheap and nasty shops. You can get tat from the internet, this will only draw the uncouth into your highstreet. Fair enough open then in a sink estate, next to the Odd Cod or whatever. But seriously, keep town centres respectible, or else you get what you deserve. Many English town centres are already no go areas after dark. Keep some classiness in them or they'll become no go areas in broad daylight as well, I've seen it having lived in several towns or varying levels fo social decay. It takes surprisingly few years for a town to really go downhill fast.

HOLA4419

I'm with the NIMBYs basically, but not because of house prices, but the fact that there's no need for these cheap and nasty shops. You can get tat from the internet, this will only draw the uncouth into your highstreet. Fair enough open then in a sink estate, next to the Odd Cod or whatever. But seriously, keep town centres respectible, or else you get what you deserve. Many English town centres are already no go areas after dark. Keep some classiness in them or they'll become no go areas in broad daylight as well, I've seen it having lived in several towns or varying levels fo social decay. It takes surprisingly few years for a town to really go downhill fast.

I don't have a problem with the store, but I do have a problem with the signage it is garish and in your face.... ;)

HOLA4420

I don't have a problem with the store, but I do have a problem with the signage it is garish and in your face.... ;)

Not only £1 shops, check out this deviant:

12505208.jpg

Literally shopfronts like this should be banned, they are worse than flytippers, as they are persistently an eyesore.

HOLA4421

Not only £1 shops, check out this deviant:

12505208.jpg

Literally shopfronts like this should be banned, they are worse than flytippers, as they are persistently an eyesore.

Shopfronts are subject to planning so I'm afraid your local council tax in return for lavish pensions brigade are to blame - government of one sort or another almost always is, in fact - for anything.

HOLA4422

This has a serious logic flaw, if there was no need they would make no profit and go out of business.

What you're advocating sounds like some sort of Chav pogrom.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Ah they sneaked a 99p store into Lymington (average HPI £350K+), the town too posh for Argos and Wetherspoons. Mr Lalani remarks that this store is one of the busiest on his books.

A little bird tells me the large Cancer Research charity shop there is closing down as the rents are too high - not even the charity shops are surviving.

Good riddance to the charity shops completely distort the economics of the High St

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4425

I think that I agree. The 99p shop marks a high street as going downhill. Upmarket shops will be less willing to open there and it will being to attract other low budget shoppers. Places will start to close, unbranded pop-up shops and charity shops appear in their place, along with other tat and fast-food places. The 99 shop is very much the thin end of the wedge. Resisting it now will be better for the long-term future of the high street, otherwise it will infect it like a virus.

I appreciate that there is a place for these shops, but it needs to be the right place.