House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Home Retail Urges Help For Middle Classes As Sales Drop Sharply At Homebase And Argos

These were dire sales numbers.

Electrical sales are imploding at Argos (-20%). Profit forecast is half last years though this is no change from expectations.

My local Homebase is very expensive (probably +20% on B&Q prices and they themselves are not cheap).

These were dire sales numbers.

Electrical sales are imploding at Argos (-20%). Profit forecast is half last years though this is no change from expectations.

My local Homebase is very expensive (probably +20% on B&Q prices and they themselves are not cheap).

...+1....Homebase must be the most expensive place you can shop for DIY and garden paraphernalia......

I am not surprised both are doing badly....home ware, furniture and anything to do with improving and doing up a home will do badly when a) people are not buying B) people can't afford to buy c) people are looking at prices and where to shop more carefully...convenience is not everything d) the internet can revel better prices for the same thing and the same price for something better. ;)

...+1....Homebase must be the most expensive place you can shop for DIY and garden paraphernalia......

I am not surprised both are doing badly....home ware, furniture and anything to do with improving and doing up a home will do badly when a) people are not buying B) people can't afford to buy c) people are looking at prices and where to shop more carefully...convenience is not everything d) the internet can revel better prices for the same thing and the same price for something better. ;)

We used reserve and collect at Homebase. Firstly, the guys in the store picked out the wrong stock that did not match the order. Then we realised that the instore price was infact 30% more than the online price so we dumped the trolley and left.

Yup, been discussed on here many times. I remember watching a short feature on TV about it, a woman working in a Greggs bakery and a male taxi driver, both described themselves emphatically as middle class.

An alternative definition would be the whole name thing. Name on shirt/tag = working class. Name on door = middle class. Name on building = upper class. Or something like that.

Edit: Not that I really care, mind. Just find the psychology interesting.

The last word. Don't know how to embed this from phone but maybe someone else can do it.

Amazon for both of those. Why actually venture into a shop?

How much would it cost to deliver a proper dehumidifier?!

Also, with toys you need to look at the thing before you buy it. Certain things require visualisation, which B&Q and Toys R Us are good for, before you buy them online of course. :)

Edit: re: the above video HAHAHAHAHAHA The very very last line made me spill my beer! Classic!!!!

Edited by Lagarde's Drift

Prescott: so what class are you then?

Girl: middle class, i'm not poor or got loads of money

Prescott: i think you're the first one i've met that says you're middle class when you're working class?

Girl; but i don't work!

The lols.

We used reserve and collect at Homebase. Firstly, the guys in the store picked out the wrong stock that did not match the order. Then we realised that the instore price was infact 30% more than the online price so we dumped the trolley and left.

When money becomes tighter and innovation becomes cleverer, with the marketplace of prices at your fingertips on the smartphone....retailers will have to become smarter themselves.

Look years ago people trusted the firms and companies they did business with, until the companies stopped caring for their most important customers by extracting more money from them and providing a worse service....they in their infamous wisdom decided the new customer was of more value, so the new customer got the better deals, cheaper prices, the top notch treatment, the regular customer was pushed aside, neglected, taken for granted, used and abused.....now we are fighting back...loyalty has flown out the window....they started it. ;)