House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bankrupt Idiot

Deposit

I need some advice.

I have given my notice on the property that I am in. I leave the property on the 17th November 2005.

The rent was due on the 18th October 2005 via a Standing order on the 15th of October 2005.

I had to cancel the Standing order as I did not have enough money to pay the rent due to unforseen circumstances.

I want have enough money until the 26th October 2005 to pay the rent. Should I make every effort to pay the rent or insist they take the rent from the deposite?

I always pay my last rent. I would only not pay it if I thought my bond was at stake.

I think mine might be. Also, I have a Guarantor. Can they chase the Guarantor for money if I say that they money they demand is not justified?

For example if I damage a £300 carpet and they want £800 to replace it and I say no, it is only worth £300, I will pay that. Where would the guarantor stand?

I think mine might be. Also, I have a Guarantor. Can they chase the Guarantor for money if I say that they money they demand is not justified?

For example if I damage a £300 carpet and they want £800 to replace it and I say no, it is only worth £300, I will pay that. Where would the guarantor stand?

Depends on the agreement your guarantor signed.

- As stated above, whether the guarantor could be chased for damages is entirely dependant upon what kind of agreement they signed. However it is worth noting that the vast majority of guarantor agreements are done incorrectly and do not stand up in court.

- Unless the deposit is a stakeholder deposit, you do not have the choice of saying that they cannot deduct such-and-such from the deposit. The landlord can deduct, but you must challenge and sue him for the return of parts of it in small claims court.

- I would advise using the deposit as the final months rent, but only if your tenancy agreement does not explicitly state that the deposit can only be used against damages, or does not state that the deposit can not be used for rent. However if you do this, bear in mind that the landlord has every right to sue you afterwards for any damages.

Edited by MrShed