House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

A Depressing Visit To Llanelli

Could a visit to that place be anything but? A bit like hell! Was glad to escape back to West Wales! On the way home I stopped by at a chapel in rural Ceredigion and was glad the minister brought up 'the obscenity of financial speculation in housing' in his sermon!

Anyway, back to Llanelli - visited a couple of EAs - one was staffed by really revolting slimeballs - the other was OK. Well Mr Slime from EA1 told me they had experienced very good sales over the last month - everything selling. I questioned him on whether he was selling in the middle price-bracket (see below) and he wouldn't answer. He also mentioned several local BTL landlords who were seeking large numbers of properties - one was seeking 50 properties under 100k! I asked him what return you'd expect on an 80-90k home - the EA said £250-£300 a month - £350 if you're very lucky :blink:

Went to a second EA - she admitted that the bottom price bracket was still very busy - nothing was selling in the middle bracket (anything over 115k and under 350k wasn't selling - confirming my suspicions).

Edited by gruffydd

The market has gone nuts in Llanelli. I am not sure why this is.

Perhaps one reason is the vast amount of EU money being pumped into the area by the Welsh Assembly. An awful lot of new homes are going up. I was told that alot of stores like Next are about to move into the shopping centre next to Tesco.

I think another reason is that as Swansea City Centre has died off the centre of Swansea, for shopping, has basically moved to that shopping centre in Fforestfach and so Llanelli, just a couple of miles away, is benefitting. Also, and I wish I could get my Mother to consider it, you get an awful lot more bang for buck in terms of housing around places like Cross Hands these days - actually quality new houses built by somel local builders.

However, Llanelli is Llanelli which is... no comment.

And Cross Hands is Cross Hands! The things about Llanelli is it has recently been likened to an economic black hole in the papers - terrible unemployment - inactivity rates - poor wages, etc., loads of factories have closed down over the last couple of years - and this process is ongoing - another closure announced last week, the MOD are pushing through job cuts at Llangennech. EU money has been pouring in to W and S Wales over the last few years - most of this funding appears to have been wasted / swallowed up by the public sector.

Edited by gruffydd

Yeah, Cross Hands is where that bloke lives whom that dating site banned after complaints from women that he had just used them for sex. The boy has about 500 pairs of knickers that he has collected from women he has 'met' online. Bizarre thing is, he is, IMPO, no looker but has had stunners sleep with him after making contact via the dating sites.

However, some really good quality houses have gone up in and around Cross Hands in recent years. In FFOREST there are INCREDIBLE new houses - well built, great design and HUGE - that cost 450K now but when built were going for about 200K 3 years ago.