House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rain'ard

Is There Anything To Be Said For Minimalism

Is there something to be said for minimalism? My wife and I were thinking about buying one of those dedicated photo printers. In the end we decided against it, as it yet more stuff to clutter up the home and only to be used on occasions.

At the moment we live in Two bedroom service accommodation, and the time will some come for us to move on. The second bedroom is home to all my computer accessories and discs and her craft stuff.

When we move would it be sensible to ditch all the cr-p and move into a one bedroom flat and saving myself a borrowed 50 grand or so.

After having the luxury of a spare room, somewhere to go for respite, would I be making a mistake going for one bedroom. I know only I can realistically answer my own question. Any thoughts?

Is there something to be said for minimalism? My wife and I were thinking about buying one of those dedicated photo printers. In the end we decided against it, as it yet more stuff to clutter up the home and only to be used on occasions.

At the moment we live in Two bedroom service accommodation, and the time will some come for us to move on. The second bedroom is home to all my computer accessories and discs and her craft stuff.

When we move would it be sensible to ditch all the cr-p and move into a one bedroom flat and saving myself a borrowed 50 grand or so.

After having the luxury of a spare room, somewhere to go for respite, would I be making a mistake going for one bedroom. I know only I can realistically answer my own question. Any thoughts?

When the 2 of you argue you'll be made to sleep on the couch instead of in the spare bed. That's quite uncomfortable when you have to be up for work in the morning.

Her make-up, shoes and clothes means you will have to throw away half your clothes if you have no spare room for YOUR wardrobe.

The bedroom in 1 bed flats is usually next door to the living room. Do you sometimes like to watch TV after she's gone to bed? Tough!

If her mate comes round complaining about her other half, you'll be sent out while they chat. She won't have her mate feel like their conversation is being heard through the living room wall.

Fancy a nice lie down to clear that hangover? The sounds of Trisha coming through the bedroom wall might be worse!

It's up to you though!

When the 2 of you argue you'll be made to sleep on the couch instead of in the spare bed. That's quite uncomfortable when you have to be up for work in the morning.

Her make-up, shoes and clothes means you will have to throw away half your clothes if you have no spare room for YOUR wardrobe.

The bedroom in 1 bed flats is usually next door to the living room. Do you sometimes like to watch TV after she's gone to bed? Tough!

If her mate comes round complaining about her other half, you'll be sent out while they chat. She won't have her mate feel like their conversation is being heard through the living room wall.

Fancy a nice lie down to clear that hangover? The sounds of Trisha coming through the bedroom wall might be worse!

It's up to you though!

A man after my own heart. You may as well start divorce proceedings right now! :o

From one who knows.

Irrespective of the strength of your relationship, the space for each of you to have some "respite" is very important.

Thus the garden shed for some.

Could be worth the money in the emotional long term.

Just mho.

Minimalism?

Lovely ideal and one I've always aspired to but never achieved.

Easier the more space, especially storage, you have.

minimalism is good. clutter bad.

if i buy anything, i generally get rid of something else. i hate tat and clutter.

A fine example of a minimalist response.

Photo printers - Waste of money! Upload your pics to Bonusprint and pay approx 15p each, that's cheaper than what you'd be paying in ink costs.

Sentimental computer junk - I was in the same boat until recently. Catalogue all your stuff, write down the date you bought it, what you use it for and the date you last used it. Also note if the item has been obsoleted by a new piece of kit. If you're too sentimental to simply whizz it, sell it on eBay as a "collector's job lot", or offer it all to your local TV repair shop.

Second room - no idea!

i think i dont like clutter because my mum had a pottery chicken that was sat on a pottery basket. you lifted up the top half to see what was inside (expecting eggs), but it was my mums clutter store.

the chicken often conained. needle and thread. loose buttons. dust. bits. 3 loose matches. a lighter that was out of gas. 2 old coins. a pen that did not work. a flat battery. the broken knob from the cooker. various fuses. used train tickets. paper clip. steel clips (not sure from what). thebattery cover from an old walkman. more old buttons.

Thanks Guys, Some good advice coming in here. I don’t think I’ll ever think for myself again. Any problems in future I’ll just upload them on Bonusbrains c/o HPC

i think i dont like clutter because my mum had a pottery chicken that was sat on a pottery basket. you lifted up the top half to see what was inside (expecting eggs), but it was my mums clutter store.

the chicken often conained. needle and thread. loose buttons. dust. bits. 3 loose matches. a lighter that was out of gas. 2 old coins. a pen that did not work. a flat battery. the broken knob from the cooker. various fuses. used train tickets. paper clip. steel clips (not sure from what). thebattery cover from an old walkman. more old buttons.

Oh my God! You're not one of the Boswells are you?

:lol::lol::lol:

Just thought, you can't be...they had money in theirs!