House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim M

Hurricane Wilma Now Cat 5 Monster

'Extremely dangerous' storm has top sustained winds of 175 mph

CNN story

they say that small effects can produce large changes in the weather.

the butterfly effect is one we are all familiar with,.

i wonder what effect war has on the weather ?

we dropped 100,000 tons of explosives on Iraq during its ahem liberation.

could the effects of SHOCK UND AWE not feed back into the weather system ?

they say that small effects can produce large changes in the weather.

the butterfly effect is one we are all familiar with,.

i wonder what effect war has on the weather ?

we dropped 100,000 tons of explosives on Iraq during its ahem liberation.

could the effects of SHOCK UND AWE not feed back into the weather system ?

I don't think the weather has a sense of moral outrage.

btp

I don't think the weather has a sense of moral outrage.

btp

but it is affected by our activities.

so what effect does detonating 100,000 tons of excplosives including MOAB and Depleted Uranium and Napalm have on the weather ?

it must have some effect.

IN ADDITION TO THE SPECTACULAR CLOUD PATTERN OBSERVED ON SATELLITE

...AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE MEASURED 168 KNOTS AT 700 MB

AND ESTIMATED A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 884 MB EXTRAPOLATED FROM 700MB.

UNOFFICIALLY...THE METEOROLOGIST ON BOARD THE PLANE RELAYED AN

EXTRAPOLATED 881 MB PRESSURE AND MEASURED 884 MB WITH A DROPSONDE.

THIS IS PROBABLY THE LOWEST MINIMUM PRESSURE EVER OBSERVED IN THE ATLANTIC

BASIN AND IS FOLLOWED BY THE 888 MB MINIMUM PRESSURE ASSOCIATED

WITH HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988.

This is VERY SERIOUS.

Only 48 hours ago they were saying it most likely would not make hurricane levels. Oh dear.

Yes, as I've said before their models are outdated, and are only reliable on short timescales. The climate is changing faster than people can measure the input parameters.

IN ADDITION TO THE SPECTACULAR CLOUD PATTERN OBSERVED ON SATELLITE

...AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE MEASURED 168 KNOTS AT 700 MB

AND ESTIMATED A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 884 MB EXTRAPOLATED FROM 700MB.

UNOFFICIALLY...THE METEOROLOGIST ON BOARD THE PLANE RELAYED AN

EXTRAPOLATED 881 MB PRESSURE AND MEASURED 884 MB WITH A DROPSONDE.

THIS IS PROBABLY THE LOWEST MINIMUM PRESSURE EVER OBSERVED IN THE ATLANTIC

BASIN AND IS FOLLOWED BY THE 888 MB MINIMUM PRESSURE ASSOCIATED

WITH HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988.

This is VERY SERIOUS.

is the normal pressure about 1000 milibars ?

when air pressure is high it means there is a large column of air above the ocean pressing it down.

when air pressure falls it means there is a smaller column of air above the ocean pressing it down. this causes the sea level to rise dramatically and hence the flooding etc

is the normal pressure about 1000 milibars ?

when air pressure is high it means there is a large column of air above the ocean pressing it down.

when air pressure falls it means there is a smaller column of air above the ocean pressing it down. this causes the sea level to rise dramatically and hence the flooding etc

The change in pressure causes both the sea and air to move. Larger the change in pressure, the larger the winds and storm surge in general. Yes, atosphereric pressure is about 1 bar.

The change in pressure causes both the sea and air to move. Larger the change in pressure, the larger the winds and storm surge in general. Yes, atosphereric pressure is about 1 bar.

yes but what most people dont realise is that a lower atmospheric pressure leads the sea level to rise a lot.

higher air pressure forces the sea levels down.

but it is affected by our activities.

so what effect does detonating 100,000 tons of excplosives including MOAB and Depleted Uranium and Napalm have on the weather ?

it must have some effect.

Miniscule compared to decades of sustained rainforest destruction and global combustion of fossil fuels, one would have thought.

I always remember the pressure systems by comparing them to someone holding you down in a chair.

If they use a lot of pressure, you'll hardly be able to move and will be fully controlled. (good weather)

Lower pressure lets you do what ever the heck you like.

Just thought I'd post this as I've always found it helpful in understanding the rules of which pressure groups lead to which weather.

:)

it must have some effect

WW2 weather was normal despite the huge amounts of ordnanace. this isnt the fault of bombs. it might not be the fault of global polution - though it could be.

wha - where did this new one come from ? 175mph - its a monster -

Blinking eck! I posted that the other day the bullseye was only at 1007 mb... and a tiddler it was! Now its a proper bullseye. By the way, I wouldnt go flying in the gulf of mexico, as pilots altimeters dont go that low when they set them up for landing!

884 Mb... now someone was saying about rising sea levels. imagine a straw sucking at the eye of the storm, at a reduced pressure of 0.8 Bar. Now imagine the atmosphere pushing down on the surrounding water and massively rising sea levels. THis is what really caught New Orleans out. Any sign its headed for the gulf of mexico?

Unamerican, can you please stop your uninformed pinko sissie left wing rants that honestly no-one cares about? Anyone suggesting Napalm was used in GW2 is frankly loony. Oh yes, neither Depleted uranium or Napalm detonate anyway. so get your facts straight. You frankly come across as a bit of a walter mitty type,besides this forum is for house prices, not focussing on the moral aspects of UK foreign policy.

WW2 weather was normal despite the huge amounts of ordnanace. this isnt the fault of bombs. it might not be the fault of global polution - though it could be.

dont debate the weather with us. we know what we are talking about.

stick to sardonic barbs and stay away from the HPC weather control room where the experts can discuss falling millibars in peace.

Anyone suggesting Napalm was used in GW2 is frankly loony.

what a complete and utter idiot you are.

i love people who parade their ignorance for all the world to see.

US admits it used napalm bombs in Iraq

The Independent August 10, 2003

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/200...palm-iraq01.htm

American pilots dropped the controversial incendiary agent napalm on Iraqi troops during the advance on Baghdad. The attacks caused massive fireballs that obliterated several Iraqi positions.

The Pentagon denied using napalm at the time, but Marine pilots and their commanders have confirmed that they used an upgraded version of the weapon against dug-in positions. They said napalm, which has a distinctive smell, was used because of its psychological effect on an enemy.

They said on the Financial Sense Newshour that there's some long term (several decades) cycle for these hurricanes that is increasing for the next few decades. So expect more storms but this is NOT proof of global warming and even the hurricane experts seem to agree on that.

Listen Unamerican I dont really care. someone who doesnt know the difference between fuel-air explosives and Napalm yet spouts out uninformed crap left right and centre to support their communist pinko tree hugging views should be ashamed...

I believe you have been banned off this site once before for carrying along in the same vein? This is going to be my final post on the matter, this forum is titled main discussion on house prices and not "Pinko sissie communist whinges" so can we please remain on topic? Frankly, no one gives a crap.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/track...00524_5day.html

So far it's predicted to hit Florida, probably around a Category 3. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Fingers crossed it hits, or misses? Not winding you up, but we have to be careful here. Not long before this site becomes very significant in the media i believe, and the last thing we want is the VIs defacing us by accusing us of being a bunch of bloodthirsty, doom mongering Goons! :D

Listen Unamerican I dont really care. someone who doesnt know the difference between fuel-air explosives and Napalm yet spouts out uninformed crap left right and centre to support their communist pinko tree hugging views should be ashamed...

I believe you have been banned off this site once before for carrying along in the same vein? This is going to be my final post on the matter, this forum is titled main discussion on house prices and not "Pinko sissie communist whinges" so can we please remain on topic? Frankly, no one gives a crap.

Fingers crossed it hits, or misses? Not winding you up, but we have to be careful here. Not long before this site becomes very significant in the media i believe, and the last thing we want is the VIs defacing us by accusing us of being a bunch of bloodthirsty, doom mongering Goons! :D

What does "Pinko" mean? FT reader?

Fingers crossed it hits, or misses?

Short of an act of God it's going to hit _somewhere_ now, no matter what we may want. A low-powered hurricane hitting Florida would be bad, but insignificant on a global scale compared to hitting the oil rigs (or New Orleans) again at category five.

What does "Pinko" mean? FT reader?

Pinko (noun) .

One who shows a distinct lack of backbone by demonstrating pie-in-the-sky help everyone politics in a distinct commie hippie manner (peace man) whilst completely forgetting about the requirements of ones own nation state and face the fact difficult decisions have to be made in effecting our foreign policy

Short of an act of God it's going to hit _somewhere_ now, no matter what we may want. A low-powered hurricane hitting Florida would be bad, but insignificant on a global scale compared to hitting the oil rigs (or New Orleans) again at category five.

I was in the states a week after Katrina (about 120 miles up the road on the coast), and was amaed at the lack of leadership and general panic amongst the locals. It was honestly like that superman film where he turns evil and shuts off the petrol pumps! Panic buying, bedlam, stocking shelves. It was like living in a disaster movie!

someone who doesnt know the difference between fuel-air explosives and Napalm

the pentagon have admitted it was Napalm in all but name.

they were going to rebrand it for obvious reasons .

as a matter of fact it was an upgraded version of Napalm they used which was even more devastating.

they changed its name to fuel-air-explosive which is exactly what Napalm was.

so anyone who deosnt know Napalm is a fuel-air explosive (petrol and soap slurry) is either being untruthful or is in a position of ignorance regarding the subject .

which is it with you ?

note for the editor

why can he call me a whining sisse pinko and you dont edit his text ?

[ Please do not remove Moderator`s editing as this will lead to your posting ability being disabled ]