House Price Crash Forum

Hebden Bridge

HOLA441

Sister's selling her house in Hebden. Bought for pennies,selling for millions. Not quite, but you get the idea.

The main occupation of Hebden's population is doleys or lesbian social worker.

Anyhow, I've been using rightmove for comparing sister's overpriced house with the competition.

The initial conclusion is that the she's grossly overpriced - much better, bigger places for 50K less.

The next observation is that the towns full of empty houses.

There's no tape over the bog -classic repo sign.

But a lot of the places are ****** empty. Some look like the occupants have just disappeared.

I cannot work out is they are repos, ex-rentals, or development properdees gone wrong.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The main occupation of Hebden's population is doleys or lesbian social worker.

The main occupation for people buying expensive houses in Hebden involve commuting to Leeds or Manchester. Hebden is really a place of 'haves' and 'have nots'. Lots of the town itself has a fairly downtrodden population, although the shops/coffee places etc are kept busy by visitors/tourists.

Within a 3-5 mile radius of Hebden are all your converted barns/farmhouses etc and many of these are commuters to higher paid jobs in the cities, I know of two couples that have those houses where they are second homes.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Hebden Bridge had a lot of Halifax staff living there, including many well paid IT staff - so when the head office had it's major headcount reduction (involving a lot of well paid IT staff) a lot of people needed to find a new local job or move on.

Not a good market for sellers, but it's a nice place to purchase in, as long as you do not need a retail banking job.

HOLA447

I thought Hebden Bridge was at one time cheap and this encouraged a lot of arty types to locate there. Looking in a Hebden Bridge estate agents window last summer I couldn't believe the prices! I do like Calderdale though and one of my favourite cycle rides.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA448
HOLA449

My old man lives in the next village. I despise 'ebden for the reasons others cite, a no-mark Northern town appropriated by the Guardianistas pricing-out the locals fecking double standard liberal tw*ts.

Oh, good luck to your sister, mind.

Not Mergatroyd or something? :P

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hebden Bridge had a lot of Halifax staff living there, including many well paid IT staff - so when the head office had it's major headcount reduction (involving a lot of well paid IT staff) a lot of people needed to find a new local job or move on.

Not a good market for sellers, but it's a nice place to purchase in, as long as you do not need a retail banking job.

And Bradford and Bingley.

Are they doing OK?

HOLA4412

My old man lives in the next village. I despise 'ebden for the reasons others cite, a no-mark Northern town appropriated by the Guardianistas pricing-out the locals fecking double standard liberal tw*ts.

Oh, good luck to your sister, mind.

Hebden has some very strange house building styles.

Can't remember hat they are called -the houses that have a flat above them.

A lot of places were unmortgable until the mid 90s.

Not sure if ive got the name right but the Pennine Society lobbied Bradford and Bingley to get them to allow mortgages on them.

I think my sister got her place for under 30K in the early 90s.

She's trying to flog in for 140K.

Just as well B+B was not sold to some scammy Spanish bank who are probably bust.

Personally, I don't like Hebden. Its nice on a warm summers day but cold and miserable in from Oct thru to April.

And the constant right-on wimmin get me down.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

When looking to buy some years ago, I had a policy of automatically ruling out anywhere that had moss growing on the buildings.

Pleasant though it may be on a nice Summer's day, frankly that rules anything out in the lee of the Pennines.

Compare the monthly stats for Hebden versus York for instance:

2zp1e04.jpg

9t287p.jpg

Good graphs but have I got this right?

Just choosing Jan as an example:

York had 49mm of rain in 22 days

HB had 91mm of rain in 15 days

So overall, for Jan, it chucked it down more in HB but rained for 7 days less than York?

With these stats I am not sure if you would choose HB or York, the choice being either more rain or less rainy days?

Edit,take the point made about HB being dank but not much you can do about the topography.

Edited by Bootsox

HOLA4416

Yes - I spotted that after I had posted it, and actually I sort of didn't believe it.

Maybe the air just doesn't move very much in Hebden...it just hangs.

Depends. All Rain is not equal.

York may have a number of rain showers that are heavy and quicks.

Hebdens could fall as heavy mist all day.

Places with damp air feel a lot colder - evaporation and all that.

Still stand by my original comment.

I'm checking a number of places using Rightmove. Hebden still stands out for the number of empty places.

Here's the article I read a few years ago (2009):

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/story-of-a-pennine-revolution-1-2355264

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4417
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4418

I think you'll want to revise those rainfall figures...

3 floods in 2 weeks.

Apparently Noah's been spotted in the High Street.

Just wait til he finds out his two of every species are all wimmin.

Hope he packed a turkey baster.

• 3 years later...
HOLA4419

I think you'll want to revise those rainfall figures...

3 floods in 2 weeks.

Apparently Noah's been spotted in the High Street.

Just wait til he finds out his two of every species are all wimmin.

Hope he packed a turkey baster.

Bit too frequent fro me

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/picture-special-warning-over-danger-to-lives-as-severe-flooding-hits-yorkshire-and-lancashire-1-7643371

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Cheers, just curious. :)

When its nice, I could almost seing me living in Hebden.

When its not nice the Calder Valley is like a lomg, depressive funk.

Despite me whinging at the wimmin, I have no real problem with the Hebden's inflows ove the last 30 years - although it does seem to have come at the expense of the people who lived there - yes, I know there wa a lto of empty properties.

I'm pretty sceptical that a public sector wage funded idyll can survive the future - these peole are going to have go go out and earn money a the whole tax credits and public sector job job jubilee has long ended.

HOLA4424