House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Road Tax Clever Eh

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Just renewed my Road Tax online.

No MOT or Certificate of Insurance required.

Magic. :D

Don`t tell Brainclamp. <_<

How long has that been an option for , its the first ive heard of it?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Insurance Companies download the data to DVLA everytime you renew your insurance cover.

The new MOT test at the garage does the same immediately the test is completed.

Pay by Debit Card, disc in post.

Police car takes your Reg, computer say OK no problem.

Checks driving licence, insurance, road tax, and MOT in seconds.

<_<

Pay Online

Me too. Road tax is a pain (financially and administratively). It's the one that you need both the other documents for, which are usually stuffed in a drawer or the glove compartment or in a big box with other unsorted letters.

I wonder how the DVLA will deal with the MOT station or insurance company if for whatever reason our details aren't sent to the DVLA!

We get walloped with an £80 fine (I think) if we don't declare our vehicles are off public roads, and do not require tax.

The pain is taking the car for it's MOT. I have 3 vehicles and always seem to be taking time off work for this, even when they are obviously sound. Now that cars are living much longer, perhaps they should extend the no MOT needed period from 3 to 5 years.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The disc came through the post 36 hours are ordering it.

No more long queues at the post office. :D

The disc came through the post 36 hours are ordering it.

No more long queues at the post office. :D

I hate those post office queues, I always seem to time it perfectly for either pension day or dole day. Or if I leave it until Saturday the queues still out of the door.

:rolleyes:

What happens if the disc gets lost or delayed in the post?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

What happens if the disc gets lost or delayed in the post?

Now this is the classic.

I was told to still display the old disc and tell them it`s in the post ( Del Boy classic ) if you are pulled by these roadside checks by the police and DVLA inspectors. They can check on the spot and send you on your way with a curtesy salute. :D

If any other agency reports it to DVLA they check and no action taken.

This will cause a price crash in the second hand car market as all those thousands of seized jam jars come up for auction. :(

Insurance Companies download the data to DVLA everytime you renew your insurance cover.

The new MOT test at the garage does the same immediately the test is completed.

Pay by Debit Card, disc in post.

Police car takes your Reg, computer say OK no problem.

Checks driving licence, insurance, road tax, and MOT in seconds.

<_<

Pay Online

I guess this is what they meant by "joined-up government". Too bad it is only implemented on the "stick" side and not the "carrot".

It is going to be a few years before all MOT stations are online. In the meantime you can, as I did, waste an hour of your life trying to do it online. Then another hour ringing their premium number and listening to a VERY LONG voice message which, right at the sodding end, tells you that not all MOT stations are online.

Guest growl

It is going to be a few years before all MOT stations are online. In the meantime you can, as I did, waste an hour of your life trying to do it online. Then another hour ringing their premium number and listening to a VERY LONG voice message which, right at the sodding end, tells you that not all MOT stations are online.

I think it may also depend on the age of the car. I taxed my newish car online a couple of months back, but I cannot tax my husbands old banger in the same way. I will have to go to the post office with documents. If you can do it online there will be a number in the yellow box on the V11. if not then you will probably have to go to the post office.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I think it may also depend on the age of the car. I taxed my newish car online a couple of months back, but I cannot tax my husbands old banger in the same way. I will have to go to the post office with documents. If you can do it online there will be a number in the yellow box on the V11. if not then you will probably have to go to the post office.

Providing you have the new type MOT certificate you can still do it online.

If you do not have a number in the yellow box on the V11, there is an alternative box online where you insert the reference number of the registration certificate which I had to do. My Volvo is 1991.