House Price Crash Forum

Good, Cheap Reliable Printer?

pl1

My multi-function device has stopped printing, it will be too expensive to repair etc. I'm looking for a printer that is cheap to run, not after a bulky mfd. Main criterion is cheap to run (i.e. ink costs) and if possible durability.

My multi-function device has stopped printing, it will be too expensive to repair etc. I'm looking for a printer that is cheap to run, not after a bulky mfd. Main criterion is cheap to run (i.e. ink costs) and if possible durability.

Not enough info. Do you need A3 ? Colour or BW only ? Is print rate important ? Do you go long periods without printing anything ? Do you want to print photos ?

FTR I prefer lasers (as stated before on previous threads) because they are relativley cheap, the cartridges don't seem to go wrong whereas the inkjet ones always do and you can leave them for long periods without printing anything.

Cheap laser printer afaik, ink costs are crippling on anything else.

A good bet is the auction houses that flog off old office equipment for peanuts.

FTR I prefer lasers (as stated before on previous threads) because they are relativley cheap, the cartridges don't seem to go wrong whereas the inkjet ones always do and you can leave them for long periods without printing anything.

yep

samsung have some nice domestic and v compact ones for £50 ish on amazon with free delivery, very economical and reliable compared to clunky old inkjets

yep

samsung have some nice domestic and v compact ones for £50 ish on amazon with free delivery, very economical and reliable compared to clunky old inkjets

We have a HP P1005 laser which has been really good and was only about sixty or seventy quid

Sorry there is no such thing.

Cheap printers are subsidised by the the sale of expensive consumables.

Expensive printers are subsidised by the sale of expensive consumables.

The manufacturers have tried all sorts of tricks to make sure you can't use cheap consumables.

Free recycling of your old cartridges to prevent them falling into the hands of refillers.

Count down chips that record how many sheets your cartridge has printed.

substitute checker chips to stop you using a pattern manufactured consumable.

The only way we can win is to avoid printing anything. Email, Dropbox, google docs or fountain pen.

Archived