House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Not a moderator

Gas Prices - Is Your Heating On Yet?

My monthly gas direct debit has gone up to £35 a month. I use a launderette & have an electric shower. My heating hasn't been on since May & the boiler is on for just 20 mins a day to heat the water.

Is your heating on yet?

My monthly gas direct debit has gone up to £35 a month. I use a launderette & have an electric shower. My heating hasn't been on since May & the boiler is on for just 20 mins a day to heat the water.

Is your heating on yet?

it aint on here yet.

it isnt only heating you need gas for.

[ ****************] actually generate your electricty from gas - currently 40 per cent of electricty is generated in gas fired stations and that is set to rise to 80 % as Nuclear planst are closed .

where do you think you will get all that gas when North Sea gas runs out in about 10 years time ?

I know. IRAN . IRAN. IRAN. IRAN.

Jesus..... Glad im renting all inclusive, sounds like its protected me from council tax rises, electricity rises and gas rises....

Yeah heating is on, Im charging my electric bike for free, oh and i have an electric heater when i want to make a cold room extra toasty...

Interestingly a mate of mine has an LPG (Gas) converted car, and its only 36p ltr, its only gone up a couple of pence a ltr in the past two years, why has home gas risen faster?

Edited by moosetea

it aint on here yet.

it isnt only heating you need gas for.

[***********]actually generate your electricty from gas - currently 40 per cent of electricty is generated in gas fired stations and that is set to rise to 80 % as Nuclear planst are closed .

where do you think you will get all that gas when North Sea gas runs out in about 10 years time ?

I know. IRAN . IRAN. IRAN. IRAN.

If only windfarms could be installed in the throats of our politicians

My leccy bill is around £30 pcm (don't have gas) so how the heck are you spending £35 per month on gas alone then ? Have you got a leak, a Jacuzzi or what? perhaps you should be looking for a new supplier ?

Guest Bart of Darkness

It's on for part of the day (mornings certainly) but I find myself thinking about it more and turning it off as soon as I can, rather than when it occurs to me.

[***********]actually generate your electricty from gas - currently 40 per cent of electricty is generated in gas fired stations and that is set to rise to 80 % as Nuclear planst are closed .

The gas situation is certainly not good. Are the nuclear plant closures due to aging 50s establishments being decommisioned?

If the lights do go out this winter, even for a short time, it will get the average person asking questions about the future of energy supplies in the UK.

Where do we go from here?

It's on for part of the day (mornings certainly) but I find myself thinking about it more and turning it off as soon as I can, rather than when it occurs to me.

The gas situation is certainly not good. Are the nuclear plant closures due to aging 50s establishments being decommisioned?

If the lights do go out this winter, even for a short time, it will get the average person asking questions about the future of energy supplies in the UK.

Where do we go from here?

first you impose sanctions on Iran preventing them from selling gas to China.

you enforce it with a naval blockade which could be started tomorrow as the ships are in place.

if that fails you then invade Iran.

where else will you get the gas ?

Edited by unamerican

My leccy bill is around £30 pcm (don't have gas) so how the heck are you spending £35 per month on gas alone then ? Have you got a leak, a Jacuzzi or what? perhaps you should be looking for a new supplier ?

That's a good question, but I live on Portland island, the wind strips the heat from the house so I need heat on the cold days (plus I have a lizard who would die if it got too cold)

Guest Bart of Darkness

you enforce it with a naval blockade which could be started tomorrow as the ships are in place.

Gordon Brown? Forget making him PM, that would be a waste of potential.

How many Nuclear power plants would be needed to power the UK. Is it even feasible? Anybody know?

Gordon Brown? Forget making him PM, that would be a waste of potential.

How many Nuclear power plants would be needed to power the UK. Is it even feasible? Anybody know?

a lot, but it isnt going to happen. they are hooked into this gas thing just when it is running out in the North Sea,

this means sanctions against Iran to make sure they only sell to the west at a price the west dictates.

simple economics really. its almost Marxist.

Iran has gas, they dont really need it. we need it for heat and light,

Iran will try and sell it to the west at ever higher prices and will play the west off against china to get higher prices,

the west says stuff this . we arent paying those prices,

time to exercise the marxist dictum "FROM THOSE ACCOPRDING TO THEIR ABILITY AND TO THOSE ACCORDING TO THEIR NEEDS"

this means they impose sanctions to make sure they get it at a good price and if that fails they invade.,

this is so simple that i think only children can understand it,

Im charging my electric bike for free, oh and i have an electric heater when i want to make a cold room extra toasty...

How's the electric bike going? After the last thread (a while back) I really want one! Might have to get one for crimbo... after all the economy needs me spending!

you are no more american than i am. what's more your arguments hold as much water as a seive.

ill give you a chance to edit that as it makes you look silly.

if you realise just how stupid that post was and edit it ill edit mine too to spare your blushes.,

ill give you 5 minutes.

4 mins 30 secs

ive helped you out a little.

Edited by unamerican

Iran has gas, they dont really need it. we need it for heat and light,

Iran will try and sell it to the west at ever higher prices and will play the west off against china to get higher prices,

the west says stuff this . we arent paying those prices,

this means they impose sanctions to make sure they get it at a good price and if that fails they invade.,

If the supply of fossil fuels was abruptly cut off, people in Britain would die in their millions. If your predictions (which assume that the Iranians are totally irrational ) come to pass, we might well invade. The Brits, starving, and freezing in their dark houses, watching the corpses pile up, would cheer the troops every step of the way.

If Iran gets nukes, then we would merely starve and die, and be helpless. I get the feeling you would get some perverse pleasure out of that.

Interestingly a mate of mine has an LPG (Gas) converted car, and its only 36p ltr, its only gone up a couple of pence a ltr in the past two years, why has home gas risen faster?

The gas you use in your home is natural gas (methane), LPG (propane, butane) is produced by refining crude oil. Two different products, two totally separate markets.

If the supply of fossil fuels was abruptly cut off, people in Britain would die in their millions. If your predictions (which assume that the Iranians are totally irrational ) come to pass, we might well invade. The Brits, starving, and freezing in their dark houses, watching the corpses pile up, would cheer the troops every step of the way.

If Iran gets nukes, then we would merely starve and die, and be helpless. I get the feeling you would get some perverse pleasure out of that.

and i get the feeling you think its ok for us to be completely irresponsible with our energy policy because we know we can always strong arm our way to the resources we need no matter what misery it causes eg IRAQ

this short sighteeness on our behalf wil lead to WW3 . its nothing to do with islamic fundasmentalism its all about our selfish, greedy and foolish energy policy.

And you don't think china willhave something to say about that?

Well it'd solve the gas problem then.

:)

TBH a good dose of fatal flu round the entire globe would probably do the planet some good in the end. 25%-50% loss of life would certainly helpr reduce the human burden on the eco-system - although I have no idea what we'd do with the bodies... the resulting rot would probably wipe out another 10-30% maybe?

The only people in position to survive essential services going down are the amish and those already on the extremes of poverty. So the meek and poor will inherit the earth?

Are wars a lot less likely when we're all dying of the flu?

Guest struthitsruth

Anyway about the heating bills . . . . .

:lol:

I'm too mean to switch on. No mains gas here, so we purchase domestic heating oil at a cost of around £300 a year. This winter things may improve as our loft has just been super-insulated with a grant from the council - our landlord forked out £100 and the contractors took about two hours to do an excellent job with 250mm layer of insulation.

I noticed when we had a couple round to supper the other night, she kept her gloves on right up until the chocolate mousse dessert - must be getting colder then . . . .

:lol:

Well it'd solve the gas problem then.

:)

TBH a good dose of fatal flu round the entire globe would probably do the planet some good in the end. 25%-50% loss of life would certainly helpr reduce the human burden on the eco-system - although I have no idea what we'd do with the bodies... the resulting rot would probably wipe out another 10-30% maybe?

The only people in position to survive essential services going down are the amish and those already on the extremes of poverty. So the meek and poor will inherit the earth?

Are wars a lot less likely when we're all dying of the flu?

and i thought i was cynical !!

I want to avoid the coming war with Iran I dont want it to happen.

how does flu kil you anyway ?

Guest rigsby II

As part of my life long quest to be as tight as a ducks ar*se Yorkshireman I noticed something interesting yesterday.

I just bought a slow-cooker and the heat off it meant I didn't have to have the heating on yesterday during the day.

Killed two birds with one stone.

I also saw this which might be useful if you have a wood burner. Make your own logs out of old newspaper. Might have a go at that.

http://www.cat.org.uk/shopping/search.tmpl...lyer=0&reinit=4

As part of my life long quest to be as tight as a ducks ar*se Yorkshireman I noticed something interesting yesterday.

I just bought a slow-cooker and the heat off it meant I didn't have to have the heating on yesterday during the day.

Killed two birds with one stone.

I also saw this which might be useful if you have a wood burner. Make your own logs out of old newspaper. Might have a go at that.

http://www.cat.org.uk/shopping/search.tmpl...lyer=0&reinit=4

here is another tip i discovered myself..

if you are baking potatoes and it takes an hour to cook them switch the oven off after half an hour and they continue to bake as the oven cools down,

you get twice as much energy for your buck.

this works with any food cooked in the oven.

it makes perfect sense as your oven continues togive out lots of heat after you switch it off which ie usually simply wasted.

Burning gas for electricity is the most stupid resource use decision ever made. We're burning the underpinning of our future food supply to generate electricity which could easily, and more cheaply, be generated by other means. And it leads to war which makes any apparent environmental benefits of gas-fired power compared to the alternatives seem rather trivial.