House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Levy process

Fancy Working Till 100?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4353444.stm

So what's this then? Have the government caved in to the unions over retirement of public sector workers at 60?

Let's see now..... The government bangs on about how we all have to work till 70 or later, because we aren't saving enough and we are living longer. But obviously that doesn't apply to the public sector, who are still in line for final salary pensions at 60, paid for by the private sector workers who have to toil on forever to pay for that plus their own meagre retirement.

Could it be that the unions are holding too much sway over the government again?

No doubt we'll get arguments about difficulty in recruiting good public sector workers in the current low unemployment environment. What a great scam! Artificially reduce unemployment with cushy make-work public sector posts, and cause a "labour shortage" with which to justify further pay boosts!

Outrageous.

:(

Edited by Levy process

It's hardly surprising that NuLab caved in to the unions. They just don't need the hassle of dealing with the Trots in Unison right now, better (for them) just to put it off and let the future take care of itself.

If it wasnt for the unions your kids would still be working 12 hour shifts in some factory for a pittance, come to think of it, they still do in some countries today! not your kids so not to worry!

what exactly are you going to revolt over and against whom?

the government is skint. the middle class are skint. the lower earners are by definition skint and the rich are too few and far between.

the money has to come from somewhere.

Guest The Dude

the government is skint. the middle class are skint. the lower earners are by definition skint and the rich are too few and far between.

I'd personally like to revolt against you...you perfect specimen of mankind...Oh sorry LF... I'm just a mere Mummys Boy still living at home with my parent....Please disregard that previous statement.....

I'd personally like to revolt against you...you perfect specimen of mankind...Oh sorry LF... I'm just a mere Mummys Boy still living at home with my parent....Please disregard that previous statement.....

hey basic forum rules: keep the argument within the associated thread.

Edited by Losing Faith

If it wasnt for the unions your kids would still be working 12 hour shifts in some factory for a pittance, come to think of it, they still do in some countries today! not your kids so not to worry!

Haven't got any kids and certainly don't give a toss about the twelve year old Vietnamese girl that stitches my Nikes together.

Guest The Dude

hey basic forum rules: keep the argument within the associated thread.

Most sincerest apolgies to you Lf...the most perfect speciman of conventionality....I am just a freak who lives at home with parent because I cannot afford to buy a house.....apologies for this also...

The money is being printed. It's called money supply and it is still growing strongly. But where does it all come from? Simple, from the increase in house prices - my, what a lovely, wealthy nation we are.

But, one day people wake up to the fact the value of the money is a bit artificial and arbitrary and the money suddenly has much less value. This is called a run on the currency. Then Interest Rates have to be increased, sharply sometimes, to protect the value of our 'money'.

Those of us old enough have lived through all this cr@p before.

That's why people who say IRs are going down because of low growth are talking through their bottoms. They might go down a little bit - in desperation - but this will be a last throw of the dice. Then they'll go up, quite a lot, to protect our currency.

Most sincerest apolgies to you Lf...the most perfect speciman of conventionality....I am just a freak who lives at home with parent because I cannot afford to buy a house.....apologies for this also...

my point was that someone earning 42k with 46k in the bank can easily afford to rent rather than live with his mummy at 30 years old.

stop stalking me and understand my posts in the relevant context... i don't even recall replying to any of your posts come to think of it!

The money is being printed. It's called money supply and it is still growing strongly. But where does it all come from? Simple, from the increase in house prices - my, what a lovely, wealthy nation we are.

But, one day people wake up to the fact the value of the money is a bit artificial and arbitrary and the money suddenly has much less value. This is called a run on the currency. Then Interest Rates have to be increased, sharply sometimes, to protect the value of our 'money'.

Those of us old enough have lived through all this cr@p before.

That's why people who say IRs are going down because of low growth are talking through their bottoms. They might go down a little bit - in desperation - but this will be a last throw of the dice. Then they'll go up, quite a lot, to protect our currency.

marina.

i mis-read the original post. i thought it was a run-of-the-mill attack on proposals for increasing the retirement age.

infact it was a perfectly understandable reaction to the government backdown on implementing this within the public sector.

so i am in error here and feel free to take me apart :)

Guest The Dude

deleted

my point was that someone earning 42k with 46k in the bank can easily afford to rent rather than live with his mummy at 30 years old.

stop stalking me and understand my posts in the relevant context... i don't even recall replying to any of your posts come to think of it!

Losing faith....I have read your previous posts...just like Smell the Fear...and correct me if I'm wrong..but the sentiment behind most of the posts you have delivered were basically that people who live with their parents are by definition Failures with a capital F. I personally resent it. Not for me...i'm happy to be called a failure...a knobhead....but I just wanted to redress the balance for those out there who are GOOD people who are still living at home with parents. And their only 'crime ' is that they cannot afford to buy a house....

Edited by The Dude

Haven't got any kids and certainly don't give a toss about the twelve year old Vietnamese girl that stitches my Nikes together.

I could tell that from your first post!

Absolute nonsense

Guest struthitsruth

Absolute nonsense

Of course it's nonsense. Many young people are working 12 hour shifts for a pittance in this country today - ask someone who's worked at New Look distribution warehouse or Sainsbury's distribution centre. !

;)