House Price Crash Forum

More Than 1/3 Of Students End Up In Low Paid Work

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111011/More-graduates-stuck-low-skilled-jobs-time-rising-unemployment.html

Third of gradates end up with 'low skilled' jobs - up 10% in one decade

Graduates leaving university with £50,000 in debt - yet earning less than average wage

Average graduate earns £15.18 per hour

'Best' option for some graduates is simply to keep on studying

More than a third of recent graduates who have found a job are doing ‘low skilled’ work such as being a cleaner or a postman, official figures revealed today.

The figures, from the Office for National Statistics, highlight the nightmare facing graduates who are struggling to get a decent job at a time or rising unemployment.

Best option for many is not to study in the first place. The knowledge based economy is a con.

Keep on studying and racking up that debt. Great plan, these costs are going to be a huge drag on the future, but who cares live for today...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

We interviewed a series of candidates for a position which, for all intents and purposes was simple data entry. We had PhDs hoping to fill the spot but, in the end, turned them all down due to the fact that they were overqualified.

In other news, given the way things are going, if you're an academic and you don't know how to create a podcast or moderate an online conference, we don't want you. We need people with organisational and project management skills. Cushy jobs in academia don't exist anymore due to the fact that we are not going to waste money on technical support travelling to your office to show you how to create a PowerPoint presentation (which are also going out of fashion fast [thank christ]).

Zero sympathy for students who opt to do easy courses.

Everyone should find a way to make themselves useful, typically that involves doing something you're passionate about - not something you have a passing interest in. If you're not at the forefront of your field then you will not last in this current climate.

This is a fantastic opportunity for those of us who seek to move up the hierarchy and get rid of extra weight.

HOLA443

Everyone should find a way to make themselves useful, typically that involves doing something you're passionate about - not something you have a passing interest in. If you're not at the forefront of your field then you will not last in this current climate.

This is a fantastic opportunity for those of us who seek to move up the hierarchy and get rid of extra weight.

Who decides if your at the forefront or not? Could that be the dead weights who don't want the boat rocking?

HOLA444

Who decides if your at the forefront or not? Could that be the dead weights who don't want the boat rocking?

We identify it as something which, at one time, may have been quite niche but is currently growing exponentially. People at the forefront will have taught themselves the skills in question as no one else can. Those same people are in a position to pass on that hard earned knowledge to staff and students alike.

The variables are complex and the cues aren't intuitive. You can only identify it once the upward trend starts to appear.

HOLA445

We identify it as something which, at one time, may have been quite niche but is currently growing exponentially. People at the forefront will have taught themselves the skills in question as no one else can. Those same people are in a position to pass on that hard earned knowledge to staff and students alike.

The variables are complex and the cues aren't intuitive. You can only identify it once the upward trend starts to appear.

What a load of cobblers. Old fashioned churn and burn.

* Actually I don't understand a word of your gobbledygook. Am I fired?

HOLA446

What a load of cobblers. Old fashioned churn and burn.

* Actually I don't understand a word of your gobbledygook. Am I fired?

We never employed you to begin with. ;]

Simply put, they are people who are able to identify growth industries before they take off. The stakes are quite high with that sort of thing.

HOLA447
HOLA448

In other news, given the way things are going, if you're an academic and you don't know how to create a podcast or moderate an online conference, we don't want you. We need people with organisational and project management skills.

So you'd rather get an Ipad / starbucks wielding dick than someone who knows what they're talking about? sheesh.

* In fact I'm firing you.

HOLA449

We interviewed a series of candidates for a position which, for all intents and purposes was simple data entry. We had PhDs hoping to fill the spot but, in the end, turned them all down due to the fact that they were overqualified.

In other news, given the way things are going, if you're an academic and you don't know how to create a podcast or moderate an online conference, we don't want you. We need people with organisational and project management skills. Cushy jobs in academia don't exist anymore due to the fact that we are not going to waste money on technical support travelling to your office to show you how to create a PowerPoint presentation (which are also going out of fashion fast [thank christ]).

Zero sympathy for students who opt to do easy courses.

So 'fess up - are you a 1) Dalek 2) Borg or 3) Cyberman?

HOLA4410

peripheral public sector right? Assuming so, and given the subsidisation of your education, qualifications, training and income, you must then be spoiling us with an amusing quip of droll irony in rebuffing such opportunities for others?

I'm here to talk about the knowledge-based economy.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

:lol: +1 I'm glad to see a few posts from people clearly thinking what I was thinking.

I can see the confusion.

If you're unable to disseminate knowledge through more prevalent mediums, then you are of limited use. It's as simple as that.

Most educational establishments have targets to reach regarding the amount of online learning students do. We're currently competing with publishers seeking rights to award degrees, to that end we need to maintain a very high standard.

It's not enough to be be able to stand in front of people and give a presentation.

HOLA4413

Most educational establishments have targets to reach regarding the amount of online learning students do. We're currently competing with publishers seeking rights to award degrees, to that end we need to maintain a very high standard.

It's not enough to be be able to stand in front of people and give a presentation.

It is a pity that in most cases you aren't. In the next 20 years vast swathes of universities will be replaced by online degrees from top tier institutions. Why pay £9000 p.a. to get a degree from a fourth-rate poly when you will be able to get one from Stanford for the same price? Those huge student fees will be the death of you.

The rot set in when form over substance and managerialism took over the universities in the late 80s and early 90s. The change in ratios of management/administration to tenured academic staff being the dead give-away.

HOLA4414

It is a pity that in most cases you aren't. In the next 20 years vast swathes of universities will be replaced by online degrees from top tier institutions. Why pay £9000 p.a. to get a degree from a fourth-rate poly when you will be able to get one from Stanford for the same price? Those huge student fees will be the death of you.

The rot set in when form over substance and managerialism took over the universities in the late 80s and early 90s. The change in ratios of management/administration to tenured academic staff being the dead give-away.

I think you have it right. Keep in mind however that the increase in fees is to cover the costs incurred by having government funding withdrawn. The name of the game is to increase standards in a very real sense. That means raising entry requirements as well.

HOLA4415

What language is zante using?

Im only learning so forgive me if this isn't right,

"zante, in a very real sense going forward I'd like to restructure to improve synergies across the board so let's hope for no more lateral overlaps of responsibilities so as to not cause shrinkage detrimental to service delivery."

I think I asked for a hotdog.

HOLA4416

I can see the confusion.

If you're unable to disseminate knowledge through more prevalent mediums, then you are of limited use. It's as simple as that.

We used to call those people "meetings engineers", you know, go and spout the BS whilst the rest of us got on with real wealth creation.

HOLA4417

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2111011/More-graduates-stuck-low-skilled-jobs-time-rising-unemployment.html

Best option for many is not to study in the first place. The knowledge based economy is a con.

Keep on studying and racking up that debt. Great plan, these costs are going to be a huge drag on the future, but who cares live for today...

In the real world (2012), advising the youth of today to forego higher education isn't going to improve their chances. Especially given the fact that most businesses aren't short of applicants with impressive qualifications.

That's my feeling anyway.

HOLA4418

We used to call those people "meetings engineers", you know, go and spout the BS whilst the rest of us got on with real wealth creation.

I am also disgusted by the people you describe. We're talking about virtual classrooms right now though. Sometimes you do need people to engage in discussion rather than be talked at by someone.

HOLA4419

I see nothing wrong with virtual classrooms, education/intelligence is more than being able to pass exams, 'a piece of paper' either we invest more in our teachers to provide the skills our industries require or our industries provide the best training to the best future potential,,,,a few easy psychometric tests together with A level results will provide easy answers to who could and who couldn't do what is asked of them....win/win. ;)

HOLA4420

Most of this rhetoric about stopping kids going to university is just that, ask that person to stop HIS kid going to university thus basically stopping them having a decent chance of becoming chartered professional. Instead they will becoming shop floor labour with no hope of middle management positions that are pushed around via spreadsheets as a variable cost by the professionals.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

http://www.dailymail...employment.html

£15.18 an hour would be bliss!

Am on dole me, £53.45 week, but you get by. You use alternative currency, you do a favour for a neighbour, clean their house, cut their garden, watch their house/children, and they might sort you a meal or some old furniture, help you paint your house. They become friends. You soon make friends. You have to. Communities evolve...

HOLA4423

I see nothing wrong with virtual classrooms, education/intelligence is more than being able to pass exams, 'a piece of paper' either we invest more in our teachers to provide the skills our industries require or our industries provide the best training to the best future potential,,,,a few easy psychometric tests together with A level results will provide easy answers to who could and who couldn't do what is asked of them....win/win. ;)

MIT6.002x

Enrollment still open course has just started....

HOLA4424

Simply put, they are people who are able to identify growth industries before they take off. The stakes are quite high with that sort of thing.

Your strategy is to pick the ones who just got lucky? You're assuming lightening will strike twice for them. Next time they might be the failed entrepreneurs.

HOLA4425

Your strategy is to pick the ones who just got lucky? You're assuming lightening will strike twice for them. Next time they might be the failed entrepreneurs.

It's as you say, lightning doesn't strike twice, we're not looking for fortune tellers. Just the few people who have invested time in desirable skills or who have a demonstrable understanding of their industry (ensuring our students get jobs). Such people do not sit by and do nothing, we consider them to be at the forefront and have to fight to keep them from being poached.