House Price Crash Forum
maxed out

One Down Four To Go

I posted on another thread recently about the sort of barometers you were all using for the forthcoming HPC.

For me, it's the amount of nail manicure places in our local street. A service no one really needs, unless they have too much spare cash. Last week there were five, guess what, one of them has closed, four more to go.

How do you folks measure the economy locally, or is it just me with too much time on me hands :(

I did notice the shoe repair guy six doors down, appears to be pretty busy.

I posted on another thread recently about the sort of barometers you were all using for the forthcoming HPC.

For me, it's the amount of nail manicure places in our local street. A service no one really needs, unless they have too much spare cash. Last week there were five, guess what, one of them has closed, four more to go.

How do you folks measure the economy locally, or is it just me with too much time on me hands :(

Sure they havent closed for a brand new refit? Or moved to a better and bigger premise? I think we will leave the hand and nail economic barometer in your hands. :(

For me, it's the amount of nail manicure places in our local street. A service no one really needs, unless they have too much spare cash.

I'd agree that there are lots of signs that people have far too much spare cash. I'm not sure yet how that relates to a potential HPC, though.

I'd agree that there are lots of signs that people have far too much spare cash. I'm not sure yet how that relates to a potential HPC, though.

In my experience of working in the health and beauty market, In hard times people may cut back, but actually will spend on little luxuries to make them feel better. Lipstick sales do well in recession. Post 9/11 sales of lipstick soared(aparrently)

my local grocery shopkeeper says things are slow as dpes the bloke running the antiques/bric-a-crap place.

i would think that there will be a lot less real xmas trees sold and that shop is also around the corner. fast food nust be suffering but none of the outlets have shut yet. the clincher would be the estate agent round the corner but i talked with him last week and he is a nice guy . so mixed feelings there,

B&Q going Tit's up was my yardstick.

Sack a chief executive and all will be well!!!

Only it won't

The demise of B&Q's profits are a very good measure of the level of DIY BTL work being carried out at the moment. ie very little....

And why?

Because there are no great capital gains to be had anymore and Joe Public simply cannot afford to tart up a property to sell, rent or whatever because they are up to their necks in crushing debt!

Anyone looked at how busy Cash Convertors, debt advisory services are at the moment?

I wouldn't be surprised if Lotto is experiencing unusually high sales either.

Think about it folks.