House Price Crash Forum

Ofcom Take No Action Over Location Location Location

Guest Riser

HOLA441

Got a letter back from Ofcom in response to my complaint about misleading Location Location Location repeats:

Location Location Location: Channel 4

Thank you for contacting Ofcom,

We've noted your concerns that repeats of the above programme are not clearly highlighted as such. While we acknowledge your point that such presentation could be vital in terms of offering accurate advice about the current housing market, we feel that the majority of viewers would be aware that the programme is a repeat (as your complaint and television listings demonstrate) and also be mindful that the housing market in general fluctuates considerably. Importantly, information in this programme would not absolve people entering into the housing market of making their own queries to confirm the status of the current market.

While we do not believe there are grounds for formal intervention in these circumstances, thank you nevertheless for taking the time to raise an interesting point.

Yours sincerely

Senior Associate

Ofcom

Ah well what else have we come to expect B)

HOLA442

Got a letter back from Ofcom in response to my complaint about misleading Location Location Location repeats:

Location Location Location: Channel 4

Thank you for contacting Ofcom,

We've noted your concerns that repeats of the above programme are not clearly highlighted as such. While we acknowledge your point that such presentation could be vital in terms of offering accurate advice about the current housing market, we feel that the majority of viewers would be aware that the programme is a repeat (as your complaint and television listings demonstrate) and also be mindful that the housing market in general fluctuates considerably. Importantly, information in this programme would not absolve people entering into the housing market of making their own queries to confirm the status of the current market.

While we do not believe there are grounds for formal intervention in these circumstances, thank you nevertheless for taking the time to raise an interesting point.

Yours sincerely

Senior Associate

Ofcom

Ah well what else have we come to expect B)

Well done, Riser. Well worth a try... ;)

I have taken my case to the Discovery Channel and am actually making progress.

They are screening many episodes of LLL, SELLING HOUSES & PROPERTY LADDER - most of which are terribly out of date. I am pushing for them to caption their programmes throughout with 'August 2004' whenever Krusty says '...prices around here are rocketting so it's best to get in quick...' etc...

That, I feel, would be a healthy compromise; they don't have to pull their shows and they regain a little credibility by actually telling the truth.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Nice try however I think you have more chance of being invited round to Krustys for a special a la Hat dinner.

Mmmmmmmmm, a la hat, my favourite. What is it to be?

Let's start with a nice Kepi soup.

Then would you like cap au vin, roast fezant or maybe something more humble like homburgers or just a pork pie? It's the wrong season to bicorne but we can offer baked beanies as a side order instead.

To drink sir? May I reccommend a wine coolie for yourself and a chadordonay for your lady?

Followed by a little blue beret cheesecake and after maybe port and stetson?

And to make up for the flat cappachino I will give you a nice Panama to smoke!

Sorry to take the pith shakobaby :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

much as I think it would be laudable to do all this, there is a very strong argument that if people are stupid enough to enter into the biggest financial transaction of their lives without doing any proper research beyond watching telly then they deserve everything they get

even I, a dyed in the hair shirt communist ;) baulk at being so proscriptive with what people watch and read these days.

What we really need is balanced programming - stuff about why it would be silly to buy a house now. There's no money in that though is there? :rolleyes: At least not until the sensationalist urge to exploit the suffering of the lemmings who have already gone pop. Too late then

HOLA4410
Guest The Dude

Well done Riser and well done Red.....your actions to raise this issue of outdated LLL programes has been first class. Riser..the response you got really illuminates the whole ******ed up nature of TV programming. The bigger question is: Do I believe in my fellow consumerists to believe that a programme is 'out of date' or not. I wish I could answer in the positive....

HOLA4411

thumbs up from me. i still feel you had a valid complaint that should have been upheld.

the program is indeed misleading as its presented in the form of contemporary house dealings.

i shall instruct rumpole qc to look over our case with a view to passing on your file to the dpp.

i should also request a copy of our actions be forwarded to the director general of ofcom. sir nigel greisley.

well done.

i am sure you will receive some metal for this. possibly a paypal heart.

HOLA4412

IWC Media, the production company behind Location, Location, Location are bailing out and selling up to RDF Media (makers of Wife Swap), interestingly Kirsty Wark of Newsnight fame owns a quarter of IWC along with her husband and this will net them £3.75m, no doubt the sort of budget now needed for a project on Grand Designs :)

See Telegraph for further info.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest The Dude

"Kirsty Wark of Newsnight fame owns a quarter of IWC along with her husband"

Makes you really aware of the subtle power of the VI's.... ****** em....

HOLA4415

thumbs up from me. i still feel you had a valid complaint that should have been upheld.

the program is indeed misleading as its presented in the form of contemporary house dealings.

i shall instruct rumpole qc to look over our case with a view to passing on your file to the dpp.

i should also request a copy of our actions be forwarded to the director general of ofcom. sir nigel greisley.

well done.

i am sure you will receive some metal for this. possibly a paypal heart.

Right_freds_dead you look....different...had a haircut or something? B)