House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pod

Are There Freeview Boxes Available That Receive Black & White Only..?

If someone has a black and white tv, then of course they only need a black & white tv licence.

HOWEVER, if they purchase a freeview box to use in conjunction with their black & white tv, they then require a colour tv licence. Even though what they watch will still be in black & white...

The reason being that the picture which the freeview box receives is colour.

Are there any freeview boxes which only receive black & white pictures and therefore could be used in conjunction with a black & white tv, and would therefore only require a black & white tv licence? :huh:

With respect, this is one of the dumbest questions I've ever read.

The short answer is "no".

Why is it a dumb question ?

When has asking a question been dumb ??? With respect , how arrogant .

If they have any equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal in colour (inc VCR's) , and they have only paid for a b&w license tax , then they could get screwed by Capita Business Services Ltd (the people who sit outside your house in a van , like modern day Stazi) .

I take it the Freeview box itself doesn't have a colour adjustment setting ? If you could prove it was set to b&w at the time of the Stazi visit you may be okay .

I used to use a colour tv without a license as it was plugged into my pc and all channels were set to the pc's signal (therefore at time of visit it wasn't capable of receiving a broadcast signal) . With agreement with TV licensing . Ask them at tvlcsc@capita.co.uk .

If someone has a black and white tv, then of course they only need a black & white tv licence.

HOWEVER, if they purchase a freeview box to use in conjunction with their black & white tv, they then require a colour tv licence. Even though what they watch will still be in black & white...

Are there any freeview boxes which only receive black & white pictures and therefore could be used in conjunction with a black & white tv, and would therefore only require a black & white tv licence? :huh:

Think about what you are asking.

A freeview box can ONLY receive a colour picture. That's all there is. What you are asking is, does a freeview receiver exist that will only output black and white?

Why would any manufacturer produce such a device?

Guest The_Oldie

A freeview box can ONLY receive a colour picture. That's all there is. What you are asking is, does a freeview receiver exist that will only output black and white?

Because there is a market for a device that will only output a black and white picture and thus only require a black and white licence?

pod, are you sure the b&w tv owner needs a colour licence with freeview? surely the licence is always for the tv?

B&W TV owners with a VCR have needed a colour licence for years. A Freeview box is no different.

For analogue TV the colour signal is broadcast in the "free" space of the B&W broadcast. A B&W and colour TV have physically different receivers and are licenced appropriately.

DVB uses a completely different broadcast system that does not have separate B&W and colour components and so a colour signal will always be decoded.

Because there is a market for a device that will only output a black and white picture and thus only require a black and white licence?

I would expect that once analogue is switched off, B&W licences would be stopped. So there is little point producing a STB with a limited lifetime of a maximum of 2 to 7 years (depending on where you live).

I don't think it's a dumb question at all, and I have wondered about this myself in the past, only academically, however; not to try to save money.

It could be a genuine disincentive for some older people, who are perhaps happy with their B&W telly, to 'upgrade' to digital if they are then hit with this extra 'tax'. It would be especially galling if they were forced to due to the proposed analogue switch-off.

Incidentally, lawyers make their living out of being pedantic and pernickity like this, yet when something like this affects the man on the street and they try to be pedantic and pernickity too they are seen as being a weirdo or trying to 'defraud' the system in some way by bending the rules.

If the TV Licensing people had not got themselves into such a mess with lawyers and bean counters trying to penny-pinch by redefining what the TV licence actually means every time there is an advance in technology then perhaps people wouldn't be trying to find flaws in the rules like this. The TV Licence people aren't even consistent themselves with this.

Good luck to anyone managing to find holes in this sort of thing.

I used to use a colour tv without a license as it was plugged into my pc and all channels were set to the pc's signal (therefore at time of visit it wasn't capable of receiving a broadcast signal) . With agreement with TV licensing . Ask them at tvlcsc@capita.co.uk .

Thanks Wan-kan (had to put a hyphen in your name as the site kept putting an asterix * for the first four letters of your name!)

pod, are you sure the b&w tv owner needs a colour licence with freeview? surely the licence is always for the tv?

Apparently so. I e-mailed the licensing department and this is what they stated in their reply.

The reason I asked was because I have a blind friend who has a black & white tv. Obviously it's a bit pointless for them to go to the expense of purchasing a colour tv, and therefore a colour tv licence. (Although a blind person does get their tv licence at half price)

He was thinking about getting a freeview box and I was telling him there are some freeview boxes which can be bought which don't require the tv to have a scart socket.

Though now it seems that a B&W tv used with a freeview box requires a colour licence because the box receives the picture in colour. So that's why I was wondering if there were boxes on the market that didn't receive the picture in colour.

The same as most people, I don't really know a great deal about televisions, so I don't think it's a particularly dumb question.

Anyhow, I sent an e-mail to the RNIB (Royal National Institute of the Blind) to ask if they have any advice.

Thanks again guys!

Well ask yourself why it was recently still possible to buy a VHS player with no tuner?

Erm, yeah, that's right so there was no need to buy a TV license for it. :rolleyes:

NDL

Anyhow, I sent an e-mail to the RNIB (Royal National Institute of the Blind) to ask if they have any advice.

Thanks again guys!

Did they reply ?

if they purchase a freeview box to use in conjunction with their black & white tv, they then require a colour tv licence. Even though what they watch will still be in black & white... The reason being that the picture which the freeview box receives is colour.

This is not true. See TV Licensing's site under "What your TV Licence doesn’t cover". This states:

A black and white TV Licence does not cover the use of colour TV receiving equipment, such as a digital box. The only exception is if it's only used with a black and white TV set and the equipment can’t record TV.

In other words; If all you have is a B&W telly, you're fine to use a (colour) Freeview box. This advice is repeated on the Digital UK site. Use this search on Google.

This topic is of interest again because (i) we're all poorer now (thanks Mr Osborne), (ii) a B&W licence is a third the cost of that of colour and (iii) pretty soon no analogue set will be "television receiving aparatus" as the analogue signal will be turned off. So, if there were a Freeview box that only output in colour, you could plug it into your "colour" TV and only see a B&W picture and (hopefully) only pay £49 licence fee. I've just given away a 28" analogue TV and there's loads on eBay going for under a fiver.

As mentioned above, DVB-T is fundamentally colour, so it would need to be a specially modified Freeview box. There isn't one currently made. It's also a limited market of people (i) in the UK (where we uniquely, I think, discount B&W), (ii) who are poor and (iii) don't mind B&W (ie: don't have children).

I guess you could cripple the chroma on a component video output and remove any composite video outputs.

The licence fee is now for the receiving device and not TVs so they can lump loads of things into being a receiver.

Which is why the exception is important that you're okay with a B&W licence, B&W telly and colour Freeview box (provided you can't record). It's in every bit of advice from Digital UK.

The freeview box is the TV for licensing purposes.

The freeview box is the TV for licensing purposes.

Guys, see TV Licensing's site which says "A black and white TV Licence does not cover the use of colour TV receiving equipment, such as a digital box. The only exception is if it's only used with a black and white TV set and the equipment can’t record TV.

So: B&W Licence + B&W TV + Colour Freeview = OKAY (NB: Don't record)

Guys, see TV Licensing's site which says "A black and white TV Licence does not cover the use of colour TV receiving equipment, such as a digital box. The only exception is if it's only used with a black and white TV set and the equipment can’t record TV.

So: B&W Licence + B&W TV + Colour Freeview = OKAY (NB: Don't record)

I'm glad I didn't jump in earlier, as I heard when digital switchover was beginning that because Freeview boxes were colour then B&W licences would be junked. It's good news that advice was wrong.

I speak as someone who had a B&W licence for a few years in the mid-90s when that was unusual, my rationale was that it worked and the few programmes that I watched were comedies so it didn't matter. My parents ended up buying me a colour telly because they were fed up with watching a B&W when they came to visit.

Which is why the exception is important that you're okay with a B&W licence, B&W telly and colour Freeview box (provided you can't record). It's in every bit of advice from Digital UK.

I always use black & white videotape.