House Price Crash Forum

Osborne: Uk Has Run Out Of Money

'Bart'

1330339231[/url]' post='3271867']

I heard a presenter on the radio reading the front pages of today's newspapers.

He read the one from the Telegraph about the UK being broke, then laughed when he read today's front page headliner from the Daily Express...."Britain Bounces Back at Last".

http://www.express.c...s-back-at-last.

Snippets from article...

The Express should venture into clarevoyancy. dry.gif

BRITAIN has escaped a return to recession and is bouncing back towards prosperity, key economic data will show this week.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant help but think that the industrial revolution needed some stuff that the Romans didnt have, particularly the Scientific Principle, and a more modern banking system. The free thinking ideals encouraged by Protestantism (I'm not religious by the way) were key to this development.

Sure that's a given, because it didn't happen in Roman times, but I think as I said a lot has to do with the needs and wants of the time, I think we also give ancient peoples far less credit for intelligence and skill than archeology, and surviving literature shows they obviously had, we may even have lost some knowledge or ideas (I'm thinking of the Archimedes palimpsest which seems to show that at least some Greek mathematics relied on visual descriptions rather than numeric ones )

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/archimedes.html?c=y&page=1

I have also seen a number or items of jewelry, in particular garnet inlaid jewelry in the Viking ship museum in Oslo, and some other dark age jewelry where we have no idea how these pieces were made, the skills have been lost, similarly some Anglo Saxons and Vikings had pattern welded swords, effectively a similar technique as the folded Samurai Sword which came into being many years later.

Not saying they were super geniuses just less dumb and primitive than many people seem to think

Edited by madpenguin

LINK

This year's budget statement should be worth listening to.

Relying on the private sector? That might be a tad wishful.

Will the UK drown any growth in red tape?

Sometimes you feel that the politicians get it, and they understand.

Then you look at all the various projects mooted for London - Crossrail, various billions (a lot has already been spent), High speed train to Brum from London (how many billions?), Boris Island, etc.

Bad example, over the course of 800 years there was a lot of innovation including the invention of concrete, development of fast food, roads, aqueducts, public sewage systems, under floor central heating (ok gonna leave it there before I start to sound like a poor man's Monty Python!).

The big difference was a moral one in that it was socially acceptable to keep other humans as slaves, something which is frowned on now, you don't need to develop combine harvesters if you own a few hundred slaves (and as a matter of fact they also developed devices for harvesting cereals so bad example yet again).

I saw a documentary some time ago about the Greeks and the fact they discovered rudimentary principles of steam power before even the Romans were around, their answer for why the Greeks didn't have an industrial revolution 2200 years ago was that they took the discoverer to one side and said to him "Look old chap your going to have to drop this, what will we do with all the slaves?", though of course it was just as possible that it was considered a mere curiosity and nobody had the intuitive leap to "Hey we could do stuff with this!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolipile

Of course the way we're going slavery could be said to have made a modest return :D

Hero's Engine Video

Not saying they were super geniuses just less dumb and primitive than many people seem to think

Their skills were learned over thousands of years (stone working, metal working etc.) and passed on over many years training. I always find it laughable when you get these archaeological recreation programmes and one of the presenters cockily assumes they can do something because i) they were born in the 20th century and ii) they've read a book on it. The best (or worst) I saw was a US team attempting to recreate some of the Machu Picchu stonework, after about two days of barely denting the stone they realised that knowing the theory alone doesn't get you very far.

I cant help but think that the industrial revolution needed some stuff that the Romans didnt have, particularly the Scientific Principle, and a more modern banking system. The free thinking ideals encouraged by Protestantism (I'm not religious by the way) were key to this development.
Sure that's a given, because it didn't happen in Roman times, but I think as I said a lot has to do with the needs and wants of the time, I think we also give ancient peoples far less credit for intelligence and skill than archeology, and surviving literature shows they obviously had, we may even have lost some knowledge or ideas (I'm thinking of the Archimedes palimpsest which seems to show that at least some Greek mathematics relied on visual descriptions rather than numeric ones )

As I understand it a low of it was energy related. The industrial revolution happened in the UK due to our unlimited amounts of coal.

But yes, a limitless expendable workforce probably held back technology not because you'd have nothing to do with the slaves but because with free slaves there was no incentive to develop more efficient methods. Why develop a machine to allow 1 slave to do the work of 4 when you can just get an extra 3 slaves for nothing anyway.