House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
munimula

Itv News

New item coming up;

House prices rising again so where does that leave first time buyers?

I'll update after the article

Could house prices be about to go up for first time in 18 months?

Thousands of young people fighting to get on property ladder

RICS predicts prices are picking up

Average prices;

2000 £75K

2004 £155K

Some predicted a crash but things just levelled off

[shows graph leveling off and then shooting up from here]

It means bad news for FTBs

Journalist on streets of Milton Keynes;

Journo: 'Look at this street in Milton Keynes' – points to lots of sold signs

Journo: ‘This means only one thing, prices are going up’

Local EA: 'greater interest level from FTBs'

Journo: marginal price rise, dependent on further cuts

EA: whilst additional interest is there it will fuel increase in prices. There are more applicants from bottom end of market place. This news has to be good news for all of us

Journo: sudden crash in house prices a lot less likely to happen

Report says housing market is set to turn a corner.

Prices are recovering and according to the experts they are on an upward trend for first time in more than an year.

They want to hear housing horror stories

Desperate to sell? Can't sell?

Text: 80088

Email pulse@itv.com

Too appear live 0870 242 1815

Then went onto receiving calls from people with 2 'experts' to advice;

Expert: Report deals with trends rather than historic fact like mortgage levels. It is held in high esteem as it is looking forward.

Caller Debbie:

My house on market for 18 months. Making reduced payments on mortgage due to divorce. Has equity – just enough to scale down in size. 4-bed house in Surrey. Doesn’t seem to be the case that house prices are still moving. [breaks down crying]

Advice: report is probably good news for people like Debbie. We are seeing more activity and hopefully she is receiving more people.

Advice: Pricing is crucial. 18months is a long period of time for house to be on the market. Go and look at places that are selling.

Caller Paul:

A recent grad from uni looking to obtain 1st career job in London-Reading.

I’m going to struggle to get a deposit and get a mortgage to obtain a property. What with my student debt already how can I expect to get into more debt with a mortgage?

Advice: So many schemes for FTBs. Start at the bottom maybe with housing association, they’ve got lots of wonderful deals.

Caller Jane:

Got 2 children, 20 and 18.

One at uni, one in further education

When they go to get a mortgage they will be asked if they have student loans so even more difficult for them to get a mortgage.

Advise: Major problem especially in SE/London area. Go to a broker and do lots of research. Maybe daughter will be earning better salary which will help

Edited by munimula

New item coming up;

I'll update after the article

They want text comments, which will be shown on the programme today. Text your opinions on house prices to 80088. Text costs 25p.

GO HPC TEAM! A chance to hit the main lunchtime news with a dose of reality.

they keep saying "house prices on the up" ,and the reporter was in a street (milton keyens?) with loads of sold signs ????!!!? :blink::blink::blink::unsure:

1st caller: Debbie from Surrey - fallen behind on payments, trying to sell for 18 months....stressed out (breaking down on the phone).

Jeremy Leaf (RICS, but also an agent): vendors who are realistic have better chance of selling.

Journo: pricing is crucial.

2nd caller: recent graduate moving to reading/london. How can I afford more debt on top of my student debt?

Experts: there are "options".......no more said.

3rd caller: concerned mother, children in debt from university.

Experts: go to broker to get a big mortgagedespite existing debt!

VERY LIGHTWEIGHT. no surprise there, then.

Edited by Smell the Fear

they keep saying "house prices on the up" ,and the reporter was in a street (milton keyens?) with loads of sold signs ????!!!? :blink::blink::blink::unsure:

phone in :: debbie from surrey can't sell her house,been on the market 18 months,bank wanting arrears.oh dear she's breaking down in tears .

panel's advice realistic price?/change estate agent !!!!!! :blink::blink::unsure::blink:

Expert: Report deals with trends rather than historic fact like mortgage levels. It is held in high esteem as it is looking forward.

Caller Debbie:

My house on market for 18 months. Making reduced payments on mortgage due to divorce. Has equity – just enough to scale down in size. 4-bed house in Surrey. Doesn’t seem to be the case that house prices are still moving. [breaks down crying]

Advice: report is probably good news for people like Debbie. We are seeing more activity and hopefully she is receiving more people.

Advice: Pricing is crucial. 18months is a long period of time for house to be on the market. Go and look at places that are selling.

Caller Paul:

A recent grad from uni looking to obtain 1st career job in London-Reading.

I’m going to struggle to get a deposit and get a mortgage to obtain a property. What with my student debt already how can I expect to get into more debt with a mortgage?

Advice: So many schemes for FTBs. Start at the bottom maybe with housing association, they’ve got lots of wonderful deals.

Caller Jane:

Got 2 children, 20 and 18.

One at uni, one in further education

When they go to get a mortgage they will be asked if they have student loans so even more difficult for them to get a mortgage.

Advise: Major problem especially in SE/London area. Go to a broker and do lots of research. Maybe daughter will be earning better salary which will help

General tone - help I'm in loads of debt and priced out - what is the solution - "get a mortage".

The banks are going to destroy a generation and they will bring the economy crashing down with it.

Didn't see it but sounds like that VI story back fired then :lol:

in a big way,the first caller had to be cut off because she was crying her eyes out because she's been trying to sell her house for 18 months . hey missus DROP THE PRICE .

:P

Guest The Dude

Here is that particular interview if anybody has missed it...

http://www.djchewmacca.i8.com/temp/ITV20051018.avi

Sorry for the poor quality.

hey thanks for the link for this....haven't watched it all yet. Stopped watching after Debbie broke down. The expert saying "This report (that house prices are rising) is good news for Debbie" was absolutely mindblowing. What Debbie MUST do to save herself is to simply lower the price. She really does not have any other scope. It's too late now for her. She does not have the time to mess about and wait for buyers who simply will not come. I have to ask "would you buy a used car from any of these experts"? They are a complete joke.

Guest Riser

Here is that particular interview if anybody has missed it...

http://www.djchewmacca.i8.com/temp/ITV20051018.avi

Sorry for the poor quality.

Thanks for posting the link it was nice to see those b*llsh*ters hit with a good dose of reality. Could have been the mpeg but you could almost see the agent guys lip trembling as he listened to Debbies story, the VI bosses must have been cringing behind their piles of unsold property details.

:P

couldnt give a ****** about house prices anymore. Sick of stupid british media, VI's and spin. Sick of stupid prices, paying double in 2004, yet wages have risen about 3%. Sick of british people being obsessed with them, sick of btl bastards.

modern britain is shit

2p

couldnt give a ****** about house prices anymore. Sick of stupid british media, VI's and spin. Sick of stupid prices, paying double in 2004, yet wages have risen about 3%. Sick of british people being obsessed with them, sick of btl bastards.

modern britain is shit

2p

AGREED!

Bloody hell! Which street in Milton Keynes was that filmed in?? Sold signs?? Do me a favour. Theres a house down the road thats been on the market 18 months two years something like that, they've just droped five grand. Theres a lot of reduced properties in the papers.

And in the September Hometrack report, it says that MK is down 1.7% that month, the 3rd biggest fall in any UK city. It states average prices for Terraced - £102K, Semi - £122500, Detached - 203400 and a flat - £72400.

Prices rising... not round here!

1st caller: Debbie from Surrey - fallen behind on payments, trying to sell for 18 months....stressed out (breaking down on the phone).

Jeremy Leaf (RICS, but also an agent): vendors who are realistic have better chance of selling.

Journo: pricing is crucial.

2nd caller: recent graduate moving to reading/london. How can I afford more debt on top of my student debt?

Experts: there are "options".......no more said.

3rd caller: concerned mother, children in debt from university.

Experts: go to broker to get a big mortgagedespite existing debt!

VERY LIGHTWEIGHT. no surprise there, then.

I watched this!!! It was SO funny!!! They [VI's] stuck a mo%on from Rics on the news to say prices were rising!!! Then they cut to a street in Milton Keynes - where a stupid dippy EA stood and said - "Look - all these houses are selling" - pointing to "Sold" signs!!! What a LAUGH!!!! "Sold" signs mean NOTHING as we all know!

THEN: In the main TV studio - the really nervous looking geek from Rics tried to say - "buy now or else prices will rise!!" As usual - he was virtually not challenged at this point.

BUT!!! - They then had a "Phone in" [which they call the "Pulse"] - AND - "Debbie" from Surrey came on the line and said she'd had her 4 bed property in Surrey on the market for ..... wait for it..... 18 MONTHS!!!!! - and it was not selling! No interst at all!!! Cut back to studio - geek from Rics started really stuttering "Oh well - people need to "price realistically" I.E. CUT/BRING DOWN/CUT THEIR PRICES BIG TIME!!!! ... and he looked really annoyed -- as he (and another VI "Property journalist" sitting next to him) looked REALLY GLUM as another caller came on the line and asked "How are my children going to be able to afford the prices" etc. etc. It was SO funny -- the attempted PR Stunt - of saying prices were rising - just failed miserably as REAL people phoned in to report how either their property wan't selling or no one could afford to buy!!! Egg was truly on their faces. They had tried to tell a BIG LIE.... and were caught out!! Red handed!!

Don't know about anyone else - but a mate and I counted the number of people we knew of who haven't been able to sell their properties FOR 6 MONTHS or more........!!!!!!! [in some cases 16 montns+] And we counted 73!!!!!!! That's just people WE know of - ranged right accross from the Southwest to the Southeast including London!!!

NO ONE IS ABLE TO SELL THEIR HOUSES -- THIS CAN BE SEEN ALL OVER THE UK!!!!! Just look in your streets!!!!

ALL YOU FTB's out there -- OFFER ONLY 40% of asking price; DO NOT BUY OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Edited by eric pebble

modern britain is shit

2p

DEATH TO ALL BTLs

NO ONE IS ABLE TO SELL THEIR HOUSES -- THIS CAN BE SEEN ALL OVER THE UK!!!!! Just look in your streets!!!!

ALL YOU FTB's out there -- OFFER ONLY 40% of asking price; DO NOT BUY OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

DEATH TO ALL BTLs

Er..... well....... maybe they will be finished off by 2008.... but let's not commit murder....?!