House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pdg

I'm Being Squeezed!

The shitty one bed flat my wife and I live in, in Wimbledon was put on sale in June by the landlord for £250k. I laughed and laughed until I found out today that it is under offer and being surveyed on Wednesday.

The EA let me know on the hush hush that they have paid approx 237k for it.

Buy-to-let as well - idiots

Fvck it I hate this waiting especially when life is conspiring against you. Wife found out last month expecting first child. Parents understand HPC but saying you probably will have to buy now just to keep her indoors from scarpering back to Bristol to be with her mum as living in shit flats aint gonna keep her happy.

The crash is coming but everything is going to conspire against me at exactly the wrong time <_<

Edited by pdg

The shitty one bed flat my wife and I live in, in Wimbledon was put on sale in June by the landlord for £250k. I laughed and laughed until I found out today that it is under offer and being surveyed on Wednesday.

Fvck it I hate this waiting especially when life is conspiring against you. Wife found out last month expecting first child. Parents understand HPC but saying you probably will have to buy now just to keep her indoors from scarpering back to Bristol to be with her mum as living in shit flats aint gonna keep her happy.

The crash is coming but everything is going to conspire against me at exactly the wrong time <_<

Options available:

1. Rent a 2 bed in Wimbledon and cough up a bit more - haggle like mad, obviously.

2. Move to New Malden and rent a 2 bed cottage - my friend has one and it's an OK area. Safe. A lot cheaper than Wimbledon.

3. If you have to buy, find a place in need of work and make silly offer well BMV. That'll absorb a little of your losses...

Good luck ;)

Could you afford to buy your current flat, assuming that you can't how would buying make you any better off compared to renting, you should be able to rent a much better place than you can afford to buy

Edited by Young Goat

Options available:

1. Rent a 2 bed in Wimbledon and cough up a bit more - haggle like mad, obviously.

2. Move to New Malden and rent a 2 bed cottage - my friend has one and it's an OK area. Safe. A lot cheaper than Wimbledon.

3. If you have to buy, find a place in need of work and make silly offer well BMV. That'll absorb a little of your losses...

Good luck ;)

Red,

Unfortunately the reason we are in Wimbledon is so that she can use the District line to get to work in Paddington as the commute killed her when we rented in Claygate (Esher). Now she is pregnant I would not be flavour of the month if she had to spend the next six months staggering around getting connections.

The thing is that in March/April we could move further out as she would be on maternity and she is not planning on going back to work there, with the idea that she would do contract work after the baby is born for flexibility.

Edited by pdg

Congratulations on the good news and sorry about the bad news.

Try and hold on...if it's any comfort i always think people get themselves in a flap when baby is on the way. Everything needs to be just right, painted nursery, nice garden with baby swing etc..and that's perfectly natural.

In reality all a baby needs is somewhere warm and dry, to be kept fed and watered and a whole lot of love. I've never known a 1 year old complain about the lack of a new fitted kitchen or laminate flooring. The baby just needs you.

If you really think houseprices are going to come down then it is worth holding on just a little bit longer then

by the time the little one is starting nursery/school and is venturing out into the outside world (and all those influences) you will be in a lot better position to move to a nicer house in a nice area.

Sorry... I know that probably doesn't help but hope it all works out for you.

Could you afford to buy your current flat, assuming that you can't how would buying make you any better of compared to renting, you should be able to rent a much better place than you can afford to buy

Young Goat,

We would never buy a one bedroom flat in a month of Sunday's. We could afford 250k if we wanted to but that buys a 2 bed terrace 3 miles down the road in prettier Surbiton, Thames Ditton etc... I have invested so much time and intellectual capital in understanding how the HPC might work and how the economy interlinks that I am loathe to buckle now. Life is not as simple as that though and my pregnant wife wants the peace of mind of settling down somewhere at this strange time in her life. She has never settled in London and if I take the P too much it would be bring unwanted marital grief and pressure.

I loathe Gordon Brown and his false economy.

both our babies slept in a cupboard (quite a large one before anyone rings social services!!) for the 1st year of their lives and they seem relatively unaffected. I suppose a spare room is necessary though for the ocassional good nights sleep!

both our babies slept in a cupboard (quite a large one before anyone rings social services!!) for the 1st year of their lives and they seem relatively unaffected. I suppose a spare room is necessary though for the ocassional good nights sleep!

:lol::lol::lol:

pdq,

They grow pretty quickly, look for good nursery provision and even more important a good local school if you can find one. Should keep you busy. A lot of flexibility to find both of those whilst renting. Time flies and you'll be needing those before you know it.

Thing is do you really want to bring up children in London in the first place?

Young Goat,

We would never buy a one bedroom flat in a month of Sunday's. We could afford 250k if we wanted to but that buys a 2 bed terrace 3 miles down the road in prettier Surbiton, Thames Ditton etc... I have invested so much time and intellectual capital in understanding how the HPC might work and how the economy interlinks that I am loathe to buckle now. Life is not as simple as that though and my pregnant wife wants the peace of mind of settling down somewhere at this strange time in her life. She has never settled in London and if I take the P too much it would be bring unwanted marital grief and pressure.

Any suggestion that she would settle in London being an owner? Sorry, but the potenital issues and troubles become even more obvious with London when children arrive (as mentioned in previous post). Explains why the local school here is packed with children of London escapees.

Maybe you can use the remnants of Gordon's economic miracle to get a one way ticket out and a job elsewhere, just a thought - local inlaws are kind of handy too.

What happened to that post???!!

PDQ, there's two posts above OK.

Same position as you old chap, only a few miles down the road also.

Managed to find somewhere decent to rent and pacify 'the boss', so my panic is over, (for now).

What about renting somewhere on the Morden/S.Wimbledon side of Wimbledon. Not so nice, granted but there are good, short bus connections to Wimbledon and you have the Northern Line there.

Just a thought..

Young Goat,

Pdg,

I sympathise totally, having faced some of the same issues. Forgive me being so forward (and I don't even know you) but is this entirely about HPC? Seems like you need to TALK through all this with your wife and discuss what would be reasonable expectations of your future housing and future life together! You might find her more realistic than you expect.

As somenone else has said, babies DON'T need much except somewhere warm (they can happily sleep in a drawer for the first few months without any detriment - no kidding).

Also check out TAX CREDITS which you can get even if you have a joint salary up to £50,000. That's what it's there for - real people under pressure despite working hard - and you should claim it once the baby comes.

Meanwhile, you REALLY have better things to think about than HPC. Look after your wife and the little one! Find any clean and warm place that your wife will put up with for the time being.

Good luck and look after yourself too.

Guest prudence

Price comparison: a friend of mine bought about 3 years ago a 3-bed flat in Wimbledon with garden for £205,000. The buyer of this one is a fool......

We were in a 1 bed flat when our daughter was born. Granny came to help and was sleeping on the sofa, our babys cot was in our room. It wasn't perfect but it was home and we were happy. The joy of a new child is a wonderful thing and you have exciting times ahead.

Try not to worry too much about bricks and mortar, family is more important.

Lou.

pdq,

They grow pretty quickly, look for good nursery provision and even more important a good local school if you can find one. Should keep you busy. A lot of flexibility to find both of those whilst renting. Time flies and you'll be needing those before you know it.

My initial problem, rightly or wrongly is the next few months Only Me. I have a wife that needs to be in Wimbledon for transport reasons. I have a flat we hated but which was convenient being taken from underneath us (not necessarily a bad thing as we cant exactly buy a house in the next two months so we will HAVE to rent again), but the wife and family saying house has to be bought now despite their concerns for HPC.

We will stay in SW London, Surrey for five years as I am starting a new job which could pay off handsomely in that time. Then we will move to Bristol (where the wife is from) as I agree it is a nicer place to live and bring up children

Congratulations on the good news and sorry about the bad news.

Try and hold on...if it's any comfort i always think people get themselves in a flap when baby is on the way. Everything needs to be just right, painted nursery, nice garden with baby swing etc..and that's perfectly natural.

In reality all a baby needs is somewhere warm and dry, to be kept fed and watered and a whole lot of love. I've never known a 1 year old complain about the lack of a new fitted kitchen or laminate flooring. The baby just needs you.

If you really think houseprices are going to come down then it is worth holding on just a little bit longer then

by the time the little one is starting nursery/school and is venturing out into the outside world (and all those influences) you will be in a lot better position to move to a nicer house in a nice area.

Sorry... I know that probably doesn't help but hope it all works out for you.

This advice is absolutely correct, the baby is oblivious of nearly everything apart from its parents until 1. Don't make expensive moves on account of the pregnancy, wait to see how you feel later.

just remember that as workers and as a family, your government will take care of you.

offering a wide choice of cost effective public housing and efficient public transports systems. the progress made since 1936 means that rather than have 1 breadwinner in a family, we now have 2.

thanks progress and change.

-and thanks thatcher - you old iron lady genius you.

pdq,

Any suggestion that she would settle in London being an owner? Sorry, but the potenital issues and troubles become even more obvious with London when children arrive (as mentioned in previous post). Explains why the local school here is packed with children of London escapees.

Maybe you can use the remnants of Gordon's economic miracle to get a one way ticket out and a job elsewhere, just a thought - local inlaws are kind of handy too.

What happened to that post???!!

PDQ, there's two posts above OK.

Notwithstanding the costs London is an excellent place for children, far better than the feral satellite towns where the misery is engrained on people's faces (if you can see them through hoods) and people stagger exhausted off their packed commuter trains late in the evening to make their weary way to their nondescript home through a dimly lit cultural wasteland only to repeat the process in reverse at the crack of dawn. Commuting exposes you to the worst of both worlds.

pdq,

`Tis a very good point, we lived in Ilford ten years ago, the anniversary of our move back up North is upon us soon. We moved (and it was quite a risk) because we just could not imagine giving the 2 kids at the time, 2 & 6 months old, a good quality of life close to London. Don`t get me wrong there`s plenty I miss, particularly good friends and the fact that there is a Munch display soon at a gallery etc. However, you will re-appraise things as children arrive. We had neg. equity in the house in Ilford, decided to rent it out to see if market recovered whilst we rented up North. Strange thing was the house up north was 600 pcm, exactly what we were getting from the tenant, only he was in our ickle terrace, we were in a 4 bed detached with huge garden for the kids and they were thriving as my wife became immersed in and embraced the local community of Mums with toddlers etc., good friends kept to this day. The school my kids go to /went to was real white picket fence stuff, could do with being a bit more culturally diverse but has taught them excellent values.

2 years into the move bought a run down place for 50K, more luck than judgement, prices took 6-7 years to recover in Greater London/Essex, we sold at a reasonable profit down there, too early, but heh.

Overall 250K for a one bed flat??...c`mon, that`s effin madness and you know it.

P.S. enjoy the kids, I`ve just realised yet again how quickly ten years goes by, in a way I envy you guys starting out, wish I could re-live the last 10 in super slow mode. ;)

Pdg,

I sympathise totally, having faced some of the same issues. Forgive me being so forward (and I don't even know you) but is this entirely about HPC? Seems like you need to TALK through all this with your wife and discuss what would be reasonable expectations of your future housing and future life together! You might find her more realistic than you expect.

As somenone else has said, babies DON'T need much except somewhere warm (they can happily sleep in a drawer for the first few months without any detriment - no kidding).

Also check out TAX CREDITS which you can get even if you have a joint salary up to £50,000. That's what it's there for - real people under pressure despite working hard - and you should claim it once the baby comes.

Meanwhile, you REALLY have better things to think about than HPC. Look after your wife and the little one! Find any clean and warm place that your wife will put up with for the time being.

Good luck and look after yourself too.

Key Worker,

No dont worry! I am just having a peed off morning. She and I are both realistic about things but that doesnt stop the odd Peppermint Paddy (by her mostly!!). I also didnt like the bullish VI spin this morning which delays sentiment changing for a couple of months longer with the HPC.

Problem is we could buy now if there was any decent terraces out there at the moment, but this would involve me getting a frontal lobotomy, buying into this economic lie and probably going spare as, sods law, everything goes pete tong about a month after I complete.

Unfortunately you might have to use fear.

And quite rightly, when you think about it. She can indulge herself with her homestead fantasies, but as the man of the house you have to remind her - do you as a family want to be stuck in a gaff that is losing more money each month than you pay in mortgage (easily done if the market falls say 5% a year)? Do you want to be trapped in wimbledon for the next decade? do you want the nightmare of losing your job while being in negative equity? Are you prepared to go through the hassle of owning your own place, for at best zero profit, when in a few years you want to be back in bristle anyway? Why lose the flexibility of renting now when this is the time you need it most?

It's a no-brainer. Tell the family to kindly f*ck off. Eventually they'll cotton on. Our respective families now have.

this has been quite cathartic :ph34r:

I was just quite annoyed and peeved last night and this morning and wanted to moan :blink: .

RichM has inspired me to take no sh.it from me crackbitchhoe ;) and our families and I will crush anyone that gets in my way <_<

Grrrrr - I'm a tiger :)

Notwithstanding the costs London is an excellent place for children, far better than the feral satellite towns where the misery is engrained on people's faces (if you can see them through hoods) and people stagger exhausted off their packed commuter trains late in the evening to make their weary way to their nondescript home through a dimly lit cultural wasteland only to repeat the process in reverse at the crack of dawn. Commuting exposes you to the worst of both worlds.

How well put. Strange how people who do this describe that they live in the countryside :) Typically a housing estate of doll houses. I get more wildlife in SE1. Commuting is hell on earth and is only going to get more painful and expensive. Figure this, typical yearly ticket into london is at least 3K and if two of you are doing it thats 6K to the railways with nothing to show for it.

even in SW London there must be somewhere half decent that's a lot cheaper than Wimbledon.....eg Worcester Park

Edited by Michael

I'm in Southfields (2 stops up the line from Wimbledon).

It's a nice area, but no idea what flats rent for around here. Might be worth checking out?

After a quick look I found ?this round the corner from me (£900 pcm, 5 mins from tube).

A stupid question perhaps, but you said that the buyer of your flat was BTL, so presumably he/she needs a tenant for their new purchase? Perhaps you could do a deal for the next few months, to cover the period you need to be in Wimbledon

Edited by rockdoctor