House Price Crash Forum

Question Time - House Prices Brought Up

HOLA441

Who was it on here in the audience? Guy in the audience stated the bankers bonuses were earned or related to Zero Interest Rate Policy designed to support house prices. Of course it went over like a lead balloon and Dimbleby moved the discussion on. :rolleyes:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

He said we needed higher interest rates and lower house prices.

Dimbles couldn't have moved on more quickly. Unfortunately it looked to be more out of bafflement that anything else. Problem is everyone on these panels is the wrong age to even know there's a problem, let alone give a damn about it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Man in audience saying British are lazy. Bast**d

The reason the young aren't thrilled about earning minimum wage is because LOW WAGES WON'T PAY ENOUGH FOR THESE BUBBLE HOUSING COSTS!!!

FFS! Baby boomers seem to think the young should work without any of the rewards they enjoyed (like putting a roof over your head).

Now they want the young to work for nothing!!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Man in audience saying British are lazy. Bast**d

The reason the young aren't thrilled about earning minimum wage is because LOW WAGES WON'T PAY ENOUGH FOR THESE BUBBLE HOUSING COSTS!!!

FFS! Baby boomers seem to think the young should work without any of the rewards they enjoyed (like putting a roof over your head).

Now they want the young to work for nothing!!

What about that other kn*b that had taken on some graduates, put them into "middle management" and with smug face stated he was paying them half the normal salary. What a total s**t.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There was much support for Workfare, which surprised me, overlooking the now well-documented exploitative and coercive nature of it, even on the live blog I was on.

Perhaps it's a good idea, poorly delivered or too costly in terms of admin when some of that cost perhaps should reward the work done.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Saying that we need higher interest rates when the economy and money supply growth are flat on their backs is baffling.

I don't agree. As a nation there is too much debt and not enough savings. I see no other way of adjusting this other than raising inerest rates.

Edited by FLASH_2007

HOLA4418

I don't agree. As a nation there is too much debt and not enough savings.

As a saver I hear what you're saying but aren't we in so much debt that any rise in interest rates beyond a token amount would send the economy into a tailspin?

Not that the current "deer in the headlights" approach adopted by the MPC is going to work out either.

HOLA4419

As a saver I hear what you're saying but aren't we in so much debt that any rise in interest rates beyond a token amount would send the economy into a tailspin?

Not that the current "deer in the headlights" approach adopted by the MPC is going to work out either.

In a sense you're right but personally I don't see any point in delaying the inevitable crash and would rather see a severe ressession lasting a few years and let the economy grow from there.

HOLA4420

In a sense you're right but personally I don't see any point in delaying the inevitable crash

Indeed, but our elected politicians know that such a crash would be blamed squarely on them if it occurred on their watch.

In a sense, this is the opposite approach to that taken in the early 80s in the US when Paul Volcker raised US interest rates to 20% to tackle the stagflation of the 1970s. This caused a very steep but relatively short-lived recession.

In the film I.O.U.S.A. this is described as a "truly courageous" decision. Anyone who's ever watched Yes Minister will know what Sir Humphrey means when he uses this kind of language:

Sir Humphrey: If you want to be really sure that the Minister doesn't accept it, you must say the decision is "courageous".

Bernard: And that's worse than "controversial"?

Sir Humphrey: Oh, yes! "Controversial" only means "this will lose you votes". "Courageous" means "this will lose you the election"!

We have no courageous politicians any more in the UK, only short-term, quick fix, shyster crooks and self-serving spivs.

HOLA4421

There was much support for Workfare, which surprised me, overlooking the now well-documented exploitative and coercive nature of it, even on the live blog I was on.

Perhaps it's a good idea, poorly delivered or too costly in terms of admin when some of that cost perhaps should reward the work done.

I think in a recession you get a lot of redundant folk, effectively, forced into self-employment.

Suddenly they have to do their own tax and I they think get much more right-wing in their views about those receiving the tax in the form of handouts.

HOLA4422

Getting people to work (perhaps even slave work) who have no intention of ever working will always be seen as a good thing.

And don't give me that crud about there aren't any. We've all read about the 'education software writers' who were 'unable' to find work during the boom years.

And there's loads of people on the sick because they are too disgusting to employ. Does that mean we set targets for levels of disgust to allow people to live a life of doing nothing on nice sick money?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I don't agree. As a nation there is too much debt and not enough savings. I see no other way of adjusting this other than raising inerest rates.

To get rid of the debt you need savers to stop saving and start spending and debtors to stop spending and start paying back. Higher interest rate would make things worse. It would encourage saver to hang on to they money to make more money and make paying off debt more difficult.

If savers wont spend their money then that money can be replaced by the BofE with freshly printed money.

HOLA4425

To get rid of the debt you need savers to stop saving and start spending and debtors to stop spending and start paying back. Higher interest rate would make things worse. It would encourage saver to hang on to they money to make more money and make paying off debt more difficult.

If savers wont spend their money then that money can be replaced by the BofE with freshly printed money.

Uh you seem to have everything backwards. Savings underpin the entire bank lending structure. If you take the savings away, the whole system falls down. Or look at it the other way... if everybody were to become a saver, then demand for debt suddenly disappears.

You can print the money, but it will destroy savings and discourage future savings, and thus lending will become either more sparse or more fragile.