House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enworb

Following On From "middle Aged Mummies's Boys

I ddin't go to university and so I had no good reason to leave home at a young age . While I was am apprentice earning £2/hour my father didn't charge me any house keeping. In fact he didn't charge me until the day I left. He just wouldn't take the money. The house was paid for and he'd retired at 55 and he hasn't got an expensive lifestyle.

I kept on about moving out to rent somewhere but he said I'd be mad to pay £500 a month when I could stay at home for zilch. So I saved for a deposit and finally bought a place in 2001, aged 28.

How embarrassing :(

I was glad to move out before I turned 30 :D

I moved out at 17 to go to uni, as I lived in Nowheretown, Australia, so didn't have a choice (as it was though, I was dying to leave)

Lurking and posting on these forums has been really interesting, because it made me realise that I didn't really develop any desire to buy a place of my own until I moved over here - if it had been important to me in Australia I could have bought in my early 20s, but now I'm in my late 20s and in the one of the most expensive places to live in the world, I have suddenly developed this desire to own a patch I can call my own ...

Cause: advancing years or too many C4 VI property shows? ... you decide

Enworb,

What's embarrassing about it?

He's family and he wanted you to stay. It's an excellent reflection on your relationship with him that he wasn't kicking you out. I think it's a positive thing.

That's what families are for, aren't they? Adult offspring living harmoniously with parents has to be one of modern life's triumphs. Families functioning well under one roof. Sound good to me.

Why is there so much stigma about living with your family? Why do people have to apologise or justify living with their parents into adulthood? Many benefits accrue to both sides. Especially if you are single and are still capable of sharing.

I could never have done it because I'm a dysfunctional selfish f**K. But all power to anyone who can.

Enworb,

What's embarrassing about it?

He's family and he wanted you to stay. It's an excellent reflection on your relationship with him that he wasn't kicking you out. I think it's a positive thing.

That's what families are for, aren't they? Adult offspring living harmoniously with parents has to be one of modern life's triumphs. Families functioning well under one roof. Sound good to me.

Why is there so much stigma about living with your family? Why do people have to apologise or justify living with their parents into adulthood? Many benefits accrue to both sides. Especially if you are single and are still capable of sharing.

I could never have done it because I'm a dysfunctional selfish f**K. But all power to anyone who can.

Thanks Baz63 :lol:

My father is a traditional West Indian who came to England in the 50's. As with many from the Carribean, family is the most important thing.

Another reason that I didn't want to leave home was his cooking :D

I kept on about moving out to rent somewhere but he said I'd be mad to pay £500 a month when I could stay at home for zilch. So I saved for a deposit and finally bought a place in 2001, aged 28.

Blimey. I first left home at the age of 11 to go to a boarding school. I did come back home at 16/17, but was on the move again a year or two later. I think anyone staying at home needs their head examining, £500pm is worth your independence. It's nothing to do with the parents ( I love mine to death), it's just...how can you really party whilst stuck at home. I'm really glad I'm not a young ftb these days with the cost of buying so high, but I'de still sacrifice a large portion of my salary in order to rent my own place. ;)

My father is a traditional West Indian who came to England in the 50's. As with many from the Carribean, family is the most important thing.

Here's a view from the other perspective. My 3 children all still live at home (although 2 of them did go away to UNI for 3 years, now back at home.) They are 25, 23 and 20. They will leave one day (the eldest 2 are already planning to do so, the oldest wants to buy next year, if he feels the time is right, the 22 yaer old wants to rent with mates, in London.

The point is, my wife and I are enjoying this part of our lives, and trhe company of 3 young adults, knowing that once they've left home they'll probably never return!

Here's a view from the other perspective. My 3 children all still live at home (although 2 of them did go away to UNI for 3 years, now back at home.) They are 25, 23 and 20. They will leave one day (the eldest 2 are already planning to do so, the oldest wants to buy next year, if he feels the time is right, the 23year old wants to rent with mates, in London.

The point is, my wife and I are enjoying this part of our lives, and trhe company of 3 young adults, knowing that once they've left home they'll probably never return!

Guest The Dude

Blimey. I first left home at the age of 11 to go to a boarding school. I did come back home at 16/17, but was on the move again a year or two later. I think anyone staying at home needs their head examining, £500pm is worth your independence. It's nothing to do with the parents ( I love mine to death), it's just...how can you really party whilst stuck at home. I'm really glad I'm not a young ftb these days with the cost of buying so high, but I'de still sacrifice a large portion of my salary in order to rent my own place. ;)

"I think anyone staying at home needs their head examining"

Would you care to expand on that sweeping pathetic generalisation? You went to boarding school, you say. Sounds to me like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

Left at 18 to go to University and that was that.

I suppose it has always been a matter of pride that I lived away from home. That's not to judge those that did stay with the folks for longer but for myself I have always felt like I wanted to survive completely independently. I have encouraged my step-children to be the same. There are,I know, loads of sorted adults that still live with (and get on with!) their parents. But there are also many that want to have all the latest gadgets and get their clothes ironed for them and they know they won't get either if they move out.

Having said that, it was easier to move out in the early 90s that it is now.

"I think anyone staying at home needs their head examining"

Would you care to expand on that sweeping pathetic generalisation? You went to boarding school, you say. Sounds to me like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

Probably more like a plastic spoon. Sorry if you think that my comments are a sweeping pathetic generalisation. I just feel that there has to be a time in a young persons life that you get away from the family home and the comforts that come with it. Perhaps 'losing' a load of cash to the rent every month is just part of growing up and taking responsibility for your own life. Not wanting to generalise too much here, but perhaps if the younger generation were to use more cash on independence, in the way of their own place, insurance, rates etc...then there might be less binge drinking, alcohol fuelled holidays abroad etc purchased by 'money down the drain rent money', free laundry, free water rates, free household insurance,free dinner,breakfast service etc.

It's time the younger generation got real...throw your money away on rent, not booze...and if you can afford the two together good on ya. :rolleyes:

Moved out at 18 for uni..

came back at 21..

Lived at parents till 22

moved in with girlfriend.. moved back at 24.. (oh well.. romance.. lol)

Moved to the south east at 24 and a lot..

stayed till I was 30..

moved back to parents and devon..

32.. still home..

my parents will get a market rate rent from me that allows them a better lifestyle..

my girlfriend gets on with them great..

all good.

Rent is not indipendence..

not on any level.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The point is, my wife and I are enjoying this part of our lives, and the company of 3 young adults, knowing that once they've left home they'll probably never return!

Don`t bet on that.

:(

Good Evening pavement. :D:wub::wub::wub:

came back at 21..

Lived at parents till 22

stayed till I was 30..

32.. still home..

my parents will get a market rate rent from me that allows them a better lifestyle..

all good.

not on any level.

Of course it's your life...but I really just don't get it! Perhaps your parents are doing well from a great rent, and that's fantastic,but....how do the two of you ever get any qaulity time???? :D

Guest The Dude

Probably more like a plastic spoon. Sorry if you think that my comments are a sweeping pathetic generalisation. I just feel that there has to be a time in a young persons life that you get away from the family home and the comforts that come with it. Perhaps 'losing' a load of cash to the rent every month is just part of growing up and taking responsibility for your own life. Not wanting to generalise too much here, but perhaps if the younger generation were to use more cash on independence, in the way of their own place, insurance, rates etc...then there might be less binge drinking, alcohol fuelled holidays abroad etc purchased by 'money down the drain rent money', free laundry, free water rates, free household insurance,free dinner,breakfast service etc.

It's time the younger generation got real...throw your money away on rent, not booze...and if you can afford the two together good on ya. :rolleyes:

"Not wanting to generalise too much here, but perhaps if the younger generation were to use more cash on independence, in the way of their own place, insurance, rates etc...then there might be less binge drinking, alcohol fuelled holidays abroad etc"

I concur with you here, I think it would be great if this happened. It won't though so long as house prices remain out of reach for so many people. What is the point of saving when the goalposts keep being moved? The answer is of course a) to have Rich parents B) To win the lottery c) To become a drug dealer....or house prices fall. Then maybe we could all share in this so called miracle economy. I agree, independance is a wonderful thing...baby (Kid Creole) BUT.....merely pushing someone out of the family nest....only for them to return later saddled with high debt which may last years..is surely not a desirable situation.

Moved out at 18 - couldn't wait. Last laugh is on me though - son of 24 has recently moved back in. Youth of today, no manners, no respect................. can feel grumpy old woman mode coming on here. Would have BANKRUPTED myself to move out of home when younger - I just cannot understand how any self respecting youth could bear to live with parents - talk about cramping ones style........ ah well, youth of today etc etc - huffs off to bed............... :angry:

i bought myself out of the 3rd sas in 1990 after subbing my toe on the brecon beacons and tripping over the colenels carelessley disgarded backpack. i stopped talking crap and left for texas at 23. seems really young now, but at the time it was terrible.

i ahevent looked back since, expect to do a lifesaver check.

look at my avatar and see me eat nails.....

"Not wanting to generalise too much here, but perhaps if the younger generation were to use more cash on independence, in the way of their own place, insurance, rates etc...then there might be less binge drinking, alcohol fuelled holidays abroad etc"

I concur with you here, I think it would be great if this happened. It won't though so long as house prices remain out of reach for so many people. What is the point of saving when the goalposts keep being moved? The answer is of course a) to have Rich parents B) To win the lottery c) To become a drug dealer....or house prices fall. Then maybe we could all share in this so called miracle economy. I agree, independance is a wonderful thing...baby (Kid Creole) BUT.....merely pushing someone out of the family nest....only for them to return later saddled with high debt which may last years..is surely not a desirable situation.

Of course :):)

Of course it's your life...but I really just don't get it! Perhaps your parents are doing well from a great rent, and that's fantastic,but....how do the two of you ever get any qaulity time???? :D

We get less then we could if we had our own place.. and if it got to the point of us living together then we would rent..

its adults living in the same house.. I have a good salary.. I could use it to rent.. but mostly rent is short term... moving every few months as the property is sold.

also I need a garage for my motorbikes..

Life sucks in some ways.. but not many..

hell I live in Devon and house prices have gone up between 300-400%

What am I meant to do?

We get less then we could if we had our own place.. and if it got to the point of us living together then we would rent..

its adults living in the same house.. I have a good salary.. I could use it to rent.. but mostly rent is short term... moving every few months as the property is sold.

also I need a garage for my motorbikes..

Life sucks in some ways.. but not many..

hell I live in Devon and house prices have gone up between 300-400%

What am I meant to do?

Sit it out, enjoy your life...then take the plunge. Good luck ;)

Guest Charlie The Tramp

i bought myself out of the 3rd sas in 1990 after subbing my toe on the brecon beacons and tripping over the colenels carelessley disgarded backpack.

fred,

Under the Official Secrets Act you are not allowed to mention the Brecon Beacons and the SAS.

Bumped into them in 1966 on the Beacons in a foxhole.

:D

fred,

Under the Official Secrets Act you are not allowed to mention the Brecon Beacons and the SAS.

Bumped into them in 1966 on the Beacons in a foxhole.

yes, i remember you. we thought you were our bumbling brigadier with your plus fours, right to ramble badge and tartan flask of baxters creamy tomato soup. we were on exercise. i remember wilson got busted out of the service thanks to you.

if i remember rightly, me and my boys got you later at the youth hostel. trussed you up like a turkey and left you for dead in the dark. how did you escape ? i knew we shoulda wasted you...

youll never testify. not now. its been too long.you hear me charlie, too long....

edit* though seriously, i bet they were embarrased.....

Left home at 18 to go to uni.. did have a very small parental contribution to the grant (it was that long ago!), didn't have a p/t job during term, but worked full time every summer holiday (and quite a few of the others too) living away from parental home (in jobs which matched my degree.. not flipping burgers :D).. and ended up with just £640 debt after 3 years study (mainly due to a failed venture), and went directly into a job the other side of the country (after 2 months holiday after graduating) B)

came back at 21..

Lived at parents till 22

stayed till I was 30..

32.. still home..

all good.

not on any level.

But what if you want to walk around butt naked, shag on the sofa and fart while watching the TV?

That's worth my rent money any month.

But what if you want to walk around butt naked, shag on the sofa and fart while watching the TV?

That's worth my rent money any month.

expensive luxuries those. :rolleyes:

expensive luxuries those. :rolleyes:

Priceless if you live with your elderly parents, I would imagine....

Of course, the reason why society has stigmatised living at home into adulthood is the fact that it indicates in many cases, but by no means all, a failure to successfully make the transition from childhood to adulthood.

Our society regards that as a great shame, and rightly so if there is no good reason for it.