House Price Crash Forum

Rents Up In Jan - Yeah Right

deflation

HOLA441

LSL Property Services reckon rents rose by 1.8% in Jan in the West Midlands, where I am. They own Your Move and Reeds Rains, hmmm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17072921

Well, this may be anecdotal, but I am renting a bungalow that was advertised for £450 p.m. for 2 months and was still empty, reduced it to £425 p.m. in December and I moved in. The papers round here are chocked with empty properties to rent. They just want too much.

I looked at a tiny flat that was up for £420 p.m. I KNOW it was bought for £60k so they are just being greedy. Still empty after 3 months, quelle surpise.

Edited by deflation

HOLA442
HOLA443
The average rent rose by 0.1% last month from December
"The rental market burst back into life unseasonably early in January, with tenants on the move trying to take advantage of what is usually a quieter period for the rental market," said David Newnes, director of LSL Property Services.

:lol::lol: and once more...:lol:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

My LA/LL raised my rent from £950 to £970 in January - then a week later announced they are selling.

you must have a new 6 month contract at least...I pity the poor buyer who is going to try and snap up your place...unless its another BTL.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Eh?

your AST dictates the terms of the periodic...unless there was a rent rise specified, then the AST stands.

Tenancies usually start with an agreed fixed-term, (for example 6 or 12 months) during which time both parties are contractually bound - the tenant to pay rent for the full term, and the landlord to allow the tenant exclusive possession and quiet enjoyment.

Once the fixed-term of a tenancy has expired, however, unless a new fixed-term is agreed, all tenancies automatically become periodic tenancies. These are based on the rent payment period - weekly or monthly etc. The periodic tenancy can thus continue until one side, landlord or tenant, gives notice.

At the end of the fixed-term the tenant can leave, but if he or she stays on, even for just one day, a periodic tenancy is automatically created - there is no legal requirement for either party to do anything at all - the tenancy can continue on indefinitely on a periodic basis and on exactly the same terms as the original agreement, which still fully applies.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4412

"As an assured tenant you must pay whatever rent you agreed with your landlord when the tenancy began. Your landlord cannot normally increase the rent unless you agree or the tenancy agreement allows it. If the tenancy agreement allows your landlord to increase the rent, it should contain information about when and how the rent can be increased." ~CAB

So it sounds like the LL can request a rent rise, you can refuse, but if you do he has the right to give you your notice.

So not all that much protection then.

Edited by kazap

HOLA4413

"As an assured tenant you must pay whatever rent you agreed with your landlord when the tenancy began. Your landlord cannot normally increase the rent unless you agree or the tenancy agreement allows it. If the tenancy agreement allows your landlord to increase the rent, it should contain information about when and how the rent can be increased." ~CAB

So it sounds like the LL can request a rent rise, you can refuse, but if you do he has the right to give you your notice.

So not all that much protection then.

All the agents round here charge prospective L/L a 'finder's fee' of about £200 to vet new tenants. Then they charge the tenant over £100 for a credit check. Plus, finding another tenant can be hard, especially if you've been paying on time, don't annoy the neighbours, etc.

Round here, I doubt any L/L would give notice to a good tenant unless he's confident that he can hike the rent up substantially for a new contract.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

mine has been the same now for 6 years, but the ones in my street up for rent last few years were asking for 25-50 more than im paying

Prices round me are cheaper than they were 10 years ago - last time I took on a rental contract.

Empty rentals are very noticable.

I would guess there's probably 5 times more rented property than 10 years ago.

No-DHSS rental rely on the job market -no jobs being created, no new tenants.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417