House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

For Whom The Toll Bells

Stuninng stuff from one of the US's builders - Toll Brothers.

Apparently they term themselves as markeers who happen to sell houses. Says it all really.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=21800061

In the past couple of years, Toll and his deputies have begun analyzing European housing data to see if they hold any lessons for a maturing American housing market. Toll has been talking up the research to stock analysts and the financial press for the past year. His conclusions carry a whiff of new-paradigm thinking, but he nevertheless seems convinced that Europe's present-day reality is America's destiny. I asked Toll what our children - my kids are both under 8, I told him - would be paying when they're ready to buy. "They're going to live with us until they're 40," Toll said matter-of-factly. "And when they have their second kid, then we'll finally kick them out and make them pay for the house that we paid for. And that house will cost them 45 to 50 percent of their income."

I grew alarmed. Was he kidding? He assured me he was not. "It's all just logic," Toll said. "In Britain you pay seven times your annual income for a home; in the U.S. you pay three and a half." The British get 330 square feet, per person, in their homes; in the U.S., we get 750 square feet. Not only does Toll say he believes the next generation of buyers will be paying twice as much of their annual incomes; in terms of space, he also seems to think they're going to get only half as much. "And that average, million-dollar insane home in the burbs? It's going to be $4 million."

Stuninng stuff from one of the US's builders - Toll Brothers.

Apparently they term themselves as markeers who happen to sell houses. Says it all really.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=21800061

In the past couple of years, Toll and his deputies have begun analyzing European housing data to see if they hold any lessons for a maturing American housing market. Toll has been talking up the research to stock analysts and the financial press for the past year. His conclusions carry a whiff of new-paradigm thinking, but he nevertheless seems convinced that Europe's present-day reality is America's destiny. I asked Toll what our children - my kids are both under 8, I told him - would be paying when they're ready to buy. "They're going to live with us until they're 40," Toll said matter-of-factly. "And when they have their second kid, then we'll finally kick them out and make them pay for the house that we paid for. And that house will cost them 45 to 50 percent of their income."

I grew alarmed. Was he kidding? He assured me he was not. "It's all just logic," Toll said. "In Britain you pay seven times your annual income for a home; in the U.S. you pay three and a half." The British get 330 square feet, per person, in their homes; in the U.S., we get 750 square feet. Not only does Toll say he believes the next generation of buyers will be paying twice as much of their annual incomes; in terms of space, he also seems to think they're going to get only half as much. "And that average, million-dollar insane home in the burbs? It's going to be $4 million."

Ermmm.. during the interview did he have a pair of underpants on his head, two pencils up his nose and say "wibble" a lot.

I think he may have forgotten the small, but important issue of "land"....the US have got loads of it...at least they did last time I checked...they've not flogged it off to the Saudis to balance the books have they?

What astonishing rubbish. But then he would say that wouldn't he............

If Toll was wearing a pair of underpants on his head when he spouted this tripe I suggest they were very badly soiled.

Edited by Red Baron