House Price Crash Forum

i have noticed a llarge number of people getting disability/mobility

for example i was at friends house and he said the next door neighbours have a brand new car on disability mobility, and there is nothing wrong with them ,

the husband works full time,

my point is how do they get it?

and do you think there should be a law to find out why people get it? because looking at them myself i could not see anything wrong with them at all

for example i was at friends house and he said the next door neighbours have a brand new car on disability mobility, and there is nothing wrong with them ,

and do you think there should be a law to find out why people get it? because looking at them myself i could not see anything wrong with them at all

Sometimes it can be difficult to see Disablity

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/Yourvehicleandlicence/DG_10028000

http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm

http://www.mobilityroadshow.co.uk/

Motability scheme (a new car) is only payable to people on the highest rate of disability living allowance so they must have jumped through a few hoops whether their disability is visible or not. http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=AIE&Source=CHSW

Motability scheme (a new car) is only payable to people on the highest rate of disability living allowance so they must have jumped through a few hoops whether their disability is visible or not. http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=AIE&Source=CHSW

It is more than possible the process has been corrupted in more than a few instances.

There are 4 within 10 houses of me.

One is for a fat lady.

One has a bad wrist.

One has breathing difficulties but runs for the bus when her husband isn't about to drive her.

One has spinal problems.

Make that 5 if you include a bit more of the street

One has spinal issues.

Another neighbour has same issues as the last one mentioned yet managed to work 40+ years.

Edited by SarahBell

OK, I do get the resentment of undeserving cases and can't understand how they get through. I've cut my finger on a tin of coconut milk so I'm entitled to a free car, yes? It is still possible to work full-time and be severely disabled enough to receive Motability, ironically, Motability may be the catalyst that enables a disabled person working.

Right now I need to pop to the shop for milk and stuff, 1.5 miles each way. I'm cycling - using my healthy legs to pedal, my healthy arms to steer and I don't have to worry about my healthy heart and lungs to get me there.That's not an option for people with a genuine disability.

My mother had polio as a child, she can walk about 200 yards before the pain becomes too much for her to walk further.

Dad, having a reasonable income bought her a car, a merc SLK to get about in.

Because of the effects of polio she is entitled to a blue badge.

People see a woman get out of a merc slk with a blue badge, pop into the shop for some milk and back into the car.

They don't see the bone deformity that causes intense pain or the fella's income that pays for the car.

Be careful what you wish for.

Disability only happens to other people, until it suddenly happens to you. Sad fact is, it probably will. Nearly all of us will become disabled, instant death is for the lucky few.

Think on, James.

There are 4 within 10 houses of me.

One is for a fat lady.

One has a bad wrist.

One has breathing difficulties but runs for the bus when her husband isn't about to drive her.

One has spinal problems.

Make that 5 if you include a bit more of the street

One has spinal issues.

Another neighbour has same issues as the last one mentioned yet managed to work 40+ years.

I have a patella injury and cant walk properly, im up all night in pain. It happened due to excessive knee crawling doing structured cabling at work - of course my ex-employer has denied this although they failed to provide knee pads for the whole two years i worked there, i did ask even by email 8 months prior to injury. I am sick of taking opiates and have asked for sativex (most probably will be denied by pain team) I get ESA and it is quite impossible to live on it and pay for my two young children. I have worked for the last 27 years and i have just about had enough of the way the state treats me, NHS dont want to operate as they think it will worsen the condition and/or they want me to struggle on until they think it's time to operate, im 44 and i see them operating on people who have 20 years on me, you would think they would help me so i can get well and back to work again (Skilled in IT) nope! I am having to fight tooth and nail to Sativex as it is the only thing that takes my mind of the pain and allows me soon normality in my life (It's a cannabis based medicine that costs on the NHS £11 a day) but the opiates make me constantly sleepy and i find it hard to focus, where as the sativex in illegal herbal form which i obtain from my local Grass dealer helps enormously............

Dont get sick during these times, nobody wants to help, austerity is hurting the sick poor the most - i am not a benefit scrounger, i was earning £600 a week up until 2 years ago, now i live a life of misery

They might be the designated driver for someone that they are involved in caring for - i.e. one of their parents. Definately agree it is being abused though.

The list of things that entitles you to the mobility payment (it's just straight cash, a couple of ton a month to spend on whatever you like) you need to have some sort of disability.

Here's the kicker - you can also claim it if you are a carer for someone who is eligable but isn't claiming.

To give an example of this, ADHD is classed as a disability and if you have a child with it you can claim the allowance. Also if your gran is old and struggles to walk far.

Asthma, Arthritis (sp?), Obeasity... basically the most common ailments, which also happen to hit most people by the time they are 60, will get you the benefit.

Given that drug adiction and alcholism are considered disabilities not you could probably claim it for them too. I'm mildly dyslexic and am tempted to see if *I* can claim based on that.

We had a thread on this a while ago, but to sum it up, if you can cough loudly of pull a funny face, or you have a close relative who can cough loudly or pull a funny face, then you are eligable.

{Cough}{Cough}{Cough}{Cough}

My mother had polio as a child, she can walk about 200 yards before the pain becomes too much for her to walk further.

Dad, having a reasonable income bought her a car, a merc SLK to get about in.

Because of the effects of polio she is entitled to a blue badge.

People see a woman get out of a merc slk with a blue badge, pop into the shop for some milk and back into the car.

They don't see the bone deformity that causes intense pain or the fella's income that pays for the car.

Same with my mother. She wears calipers and worked full-time until her late 50s until a laminectomy due to polio forced her into early retirement.

I'm truly and unexpectedly surprised at this thread. Usually (and frequently) any mention of disability benefits quickly gets taken over by the Daily Heil reading fruitbats, who forgot that they happily claimed and didn't really need years of Child Benefit, the only other non-means tested benefit. We get all the usual misguided, misinformed tosh about the government supplying free cars and everyone seems to know someone who gets the benefit but has a hobby as a pole vaulter.

There are far more realistic posts tha usual and I applaud those contributors.

As for those who have no direct experience but are waylaid by petty prejudice and jealously, they have my contempt. And I offer my sincere hopes that they never need Disability Living Allowance, because it is easier to find hens teeth than get the higher rate.

Personally, I'm only in it for the larger parking space. Pity that when I get there, there's usually some to$$er with a white van, a BMW or a 4x4 who has parked there first.

I am disabled and I do get higher rate mobility which means I can use it to lease a car through the Motability scheme which is a charity,or I can take out a private deal with a car dealer IF I could find one who would cater for me, I guess I'd not score much on a credit rating.

I would happily swap my disability with anyone who thinks it's something for nothing, I paid my NI for 40 years before my accident so have no qualms getting any help I can.

I must admit though t annoys me that NHS resources are wasted on fat people or accidents self-inflicted by drink or drugs.

They might be the designated driver for someone that they are involved in caring for - i.e. one of their parents. Definately agree it is being abused though.

I think this is how it's usually abused. Mother is genuinely infirm and not capable of travelling under her own steam. Son gets new car to transport mother around in, but since mother rarely goes out, he uses it to drive his family around / drive to work / etc.

Personally I think £67.50 a week is not enough for the unemployed, I think there should be some fun money on top of the basic that you need to survive. But I'm at a lose as to why a disabled person should receive any more than any one else.

Yes give them some vouchers for free Tesco delivery if they can't get to the shops

I think it would be reasonable for a disabled person to make a list of all the additional expenses that they have over and above that of an able bodied person and help given. but no extra money.

Personally I think £67.50 a week is not enough for the unemployed, I think there should be some fun money on top of the basic that you need to survive. But I'm at a lose as to why a disabled person should receive any more than any one else.

Yes give them some vouchers for free Tesco delivery if they can't get to the shops

I think it would be reasonable for a disabled person to make a list of all the additional expenses that they have over and above that of an able bodied person and help given. but no extra money.

Jesus wept. Are you the Republican guy who said that people without health insurance should die? I walk, Or cycle with 2 legs that work. I don't begrudge anyone that genuinely can't do this to have help.

I really struggle with this one. I hear about genuinely disabled people struggling to get higher rate DLA which makes them eligible for the motability scheme but at the same time I know of someone getting higher rate DLA and a motability car for asthma - pisses me right off as she is a heavy smoker.

What's not in doubt is that there are 600k cars on the road as a result of the scheme so I can't see it ending any time soon. The Motability people know it's a scam - if you read the guff they come out with it's obvious they are not in the real world - http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm?type=NIA&Objectid=2778

I really struggle with this one. I hear about genuinely disabled people struggling to get higher rate DLA which makes them eligible for the motability scheme but at the same time I know of someone getting higher rate DLA and a motability car for asthma - pisses me right off as she is a heavy smoker.

Two close relatives have managed to achieve the higher rate of Disability Allowance. One was partially blind (now passed away) & the other is suffering from a brain tumour. The latter was on the middle rate & only managed to qualify for the higher level, once he officially progressed to a wheel chair. When he was initially assessed. He was suffering the effects of brain damage, which had left him with only partial movement in his right side. Those symptoms got him as far as the middle rate :blink:.

There is no doubt its been abused over the years. However, i believe the government have enlisted the services of a private company, to re-assess claimants. The process started in Scotland last year. According to my mother, many have lost the benefit.

Jesus wept. Are you the Republican guy who said that people without health insurance should die? I walk, Or cycle with 2 legs that work. I don't begrudge anyone that genuinely can't do this to have help.

Help yes money no

a free electric wheel chair maybe require because they can't cycle or walk

Edited by gf3