House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bushboy

Wind

Potential for Wilma to go from a Tropical Storm to a Hurricane in the next 36 hours. Guess where?

HPI has been insane in Florida--many of the suckers were Brits in a MEWing frenzy from their hypothetical profits based on UK HPI. The weather boffins have recently said that the weather patterns in the gulf are on a 50-100 year cycle and the "good weather" cycle ended in 2003. THey predicted 10-12 monster storms a year as normal.

Not a lot of people know this but the weather in the US is the most violent in the world. More tornados, hurricans, floods, temperature extremes and earthquakes than anywhere else on the planet.

the weather in the US is the most violent in the world. More tornados, hurricanes, floods, temperature extremes and earthquakes than anywhere else on the planet.

Not surprising considering it is a continent-sized country. I'm sure Africa taken as a whole would demonstrate similar extremes. In particular I find it hard to believe that America experiences more flooding per annum than, say, Bangladesh.

In particular I find it hard to believe that America experiences more flooding per annum than, say, Bangladesh.

I may be wrong, but I thought the problem with Bangladesh wasn't that it floods a lot more than any other country, but that so many people live in shacks on flood plains where thousands get killed whenever a flood happens?

I may be wrong, but I thought the problem with Bangladesh wasn't that it floods a lot more than any other country, but that so many people live in shacks on flood plains where thousands get killed whenever a flood happens?

Yes, and if you look at a map, you'll see that Bangladesh is basically one big river delta, and being dirt poor, doesn't have much in the way of flood defences etc

I don't for sure, but I'd guess North America would be more extreme than, say, Africa. Africa doesn't have really cold air butting up against tropical air like the US has.

Not surprising considering it is a continent-sized country. I'm sure Africa taken as a whole would demonstrate similar extremes. In particular I find it hard to believe that America experiences more flooding per annum than, say, Bangladesh.

Its possible that other countries have more flooding but in the US they get it all. E.g. temperatures in excess of 125F in California and Arizona with minus 40 along the central Canadian border. Humidity that will rot polyester socks in Lousianna and monster tornados along Tornado Alley in Oklahoma and Texas. Huge variety of violent weather is what makes the US the holder of the title for most violent weather.

I lived in Texas in the mid-90's and our house got hailed on by chunks of ice as large as full sized grapefruits. I watched a neighbour's car had its roof flattened by the sheer force and volume of the stuff. The Thunderstorms in that state are similarly extreme. Driving in Oregon can sometimes resemble being underwater--all normal for that part of the world.

Why anyone would invest in houses in Florida is remarkable. With the new hurricane cycle just getting ramped up anyone who bought beachfront will probably have to just enjoy the sand from now on.

MAKES WILMA THE 21ST NAMED TROPICAL STORM OF THE VERY BUSY

2005 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON. THIS TIES THE RECORD SET BACK IN

Expect more chaos next year.

The six month hurricane season does not finish until 30 Nov.

Could we get another couple of storms this year. More damage, mean more Federal deficit and Loyds of London loses. Not good. US sentiment is take a real battering just at the moment.