House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laughing_goat

City Slicker Trial Begins

I've attached a link from the BBC about some newspaper columnists whose trial is starting for breaching the Financial Services Act in connection with share tips.

My question is, aren't they just doing the same as some of the TV property 'experts'?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4348334.stm

Mr Hipwell is accused of creating a misleading impression of the value of investments in the column.

I've attached a link from the BBC about some newspaper columnists whose trial is starting for breaching the Financial Services Act in connection with share tips.

My question is, aren't they just doing the same as some of the TV property 'experts'?

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4348334.stm

A legal cause of action exists if you rely upon a statement from an expert/professional who owes you a duty of care to give correct advice. Valuations that are incorrect could give rise to liability if there is a contractual relationship between you and the advice giver. An EA would be such a person if he knew or ought to have known what the true market conditions were at the time of giving the advice.

Notice how financial adviosors always state that the value of your investment could go up as well as down. EAs seem to ignore the downside risks and by failing to pass them onto a customer may possibly find themselves vulnerable if sued for negligent misstatement or breach of contract (to provide accurate advice).

General bullsh** that is disseminated to the public at large may be a matter for the tradings standards people--false advertising etc.

A legal cause of action exists if you rely upon a statement from an expert/professional who owes you a duty of care to give correct advice. Valuations that are incorrect could give rise to liability if there is a contractual relationship between you and the advice giver. An EA would be such a person if he knew or ought to have known what the true market conditions were at the time of giving the advice.

Notice how financial adviosors always state that the value of your investment could go up as well as down. EAs seem to ignore the downside risks and by failing to pass them onto a customer may possibly find themselves vulnerable if sued for negligent misstatement or breach of contract (to provide accurate advice).

General bullsh** that is disseminated to the public at large may be a matter for the tradings standards people--false advertising etc.

Should mortgage lenders not also state that the value of homes do go up and down?

Should mortgage lenders not also state that the value of homes do go up and down?

I don't think so, as you're just lending money from them to buy the home, they themselves don't tell you the value the valuer does that (maybe, I can't remember now).

Oh it's getting way too complicated for my poor sore little brain.

However, what I was refering to (very badly, I admit) was those in the media. The city slickers had a newspaper column where they 'allegedly' peddled there VI views in order to ramp there stocks they had invested in, some property experts have TV shows and could be described as doing the same. As far as the law is concerned what they're doing is different as the city slickers are being tried for breaching the Financial Services Act in connection with share tips and I don't think a simular law covers HP speculation.