House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Article On Gordon's Dismal Failure

HOLA441

Brown 'on thin ice with economy'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4348756.stm

"Prof Spencer added that the problem could be traced back to the housing market boom and strong consumer spending - which had propped up the economy until recently."

The cunning scheme has been uncovered--strong economies rely on more than inflated house prices.

Looks like the economic miracle that relied on HPI has come to an end. Anyone who relied on HPI to provide a healthy economy might be better placed elsewhere in Government. Ministry of Funny ideas?

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Brown 'on thin ice with economy'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4348756.stm

"Prof Spencer added that the problem could be traced back to the housing market boom and strong consumer spending - which had propped up the economy until recently."

The cunning scheme has been uncovered--strong economies rely on more than inflated house prices.

Looks like the economic miracle that relied on HPI has come to an end. Anyone who relied on HPI to provide a healthy economy might be better placed elsewhere in Government. Ministry of Funny ideas?

What pisses me off is how _everone_ was banging on about how brilliant he was before the election. A few months later what has changed so suddenly to be called the opposite.

Its all buttshit.

HOLA445

Its a great picture of Crash Gordon which accompanies the article - probably sent in by Tony Bliar to discredit his erstwhile successor, although he's been doing a pretty good job of it himself over the past few years

I wish I knew how to install the graphic on my handle page. Gordon's face says it all--add a good caption and it could be HPC.com's trademark.

Tony has left it too late to bail and distance himself from the economic ruin that Britain has to endure for the next few years as we pay for HPI. Tony can hardly blame it on Gordon and Gordon will not get away with saying he was only following orders. Has any PM resigned with a legacy intact?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

He's a politician. Five years is all that counts.

They managed to dress the economy for the election.

Gordon's first prize was to get Labour re-elected. Second prize Tony's job.

1 out of 2. It could have been worse.

Remember this prize quote?

Strict rules for government borrowing

We will enforce the 'golden rule' of public spending - over the economic cycle, we will only borrow to invest and not to fund current expenditure.

We will ensure that - over the economic cycle - public debt as a proportion of national income is at a stable and prudent level.

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/man/lab97.htm

hmmmn.., 1.1 trilion is a stable & prudent level, so is government borrowing to invest -er- pay the public sector wage bill ;)

HOLA4411

Remember this prize quote?

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/man/lab97.htm

hmmmn.., 1.1 trilion is a stable & prudent level, so is government borrowing to invest -er- pay the public sector wage bill ;)

A ten year old could "spin" that.

"Our dedicated public servants are building the base for a stable, fair modern society where all will be able to achieve their potential and no one need fear for their family's future security. The cost now will prove to be more than worthwhile".

Meaningless drivel 'tis true but hey, that's politics.

HOLA4412

In my opinion a lot of the blame is with the rapid move towards a global market.

The global market is good for one thing and that is for large corporations looking to reduce overheads by cutting back on employment & production costs.

This is killing our export trade as British and European companies struggle to compete with the growing Indian and China economies. Germany is still the biggest exporter in the world, yes bigger than the USA, yet despite this exports have halved due to competition from China.

The west can not compete, our labour costs are higher, land is more expensive and taxes are higher. In my opinion Mr Brown has got it completely wrong by encouraging Europe to accept the global market as the only option. If Labours policy if accepted by Europeans will be the downfall of Europe. As tele comms get cheaper every sector is at risk.

Why let corporations exploit cheap labour and WMF grants to make even more money at the expense of our workers.

My message is to fight hard to protect our way of life, the NHS, Our Rights to Paid Holidays, Sickness Pay and Welfare if we don't then we'll all be packing bags at Tescos.

HOLA4413

Brown is far from brilliant.

His own cleverness was in finding ways of raising taxes by stealth, and by propping up an economy

for an extra few years, when it would have been better to let a recession happen.

He has made his bed, and now he can jolly-well sleep in it.

Never becoming Prime Minister because his economic "miracle" is seen to be a fraud, before he

gets the prize, seem a fine fate indeed; a reward for his multiple failures. No tears.

An almost Shakespearian fate.

Edited by Starcrossed

HOLA4414
Guest The Dude

Brown is far from brilliant.

His own cleverness was in finding ways of raising taxes by stealth, and by propping up an economy

for an extra few years, when it would have been better to let a recession happen.

He has made his bed, and now he can jolly-well sleep in it.

Never becoming Prime Minister because his economic "miracle" is seen to be a fraud, before he

gets the prize, seem a fine fate indeed; a reward for his multiple failures. No tears.

The thing is Dr Bubb, how did he get away with it for so long?.....The media reported his miracles just prior to the election.....how come they suddenly changed their minds.......how come the media were all for the Iraq war...then change their minds........I wish this forum had a resident journalist to explain this. My own take on it now is that I have become so disillusioned with every fabric of the media,broadcast and print that I can't believe anything what they say. Bird Flu?...I truly am not scared about it. Maybe I should but ,sorry the media have cried wolf far too many times now. Gordon Brown is a shallow crap economic magician. John Humphries illuminated this only last week.....but still, all this spin was created by the Government BUT was broadcast by the media....can we trust the media about anything anymore?