House Price Crash Forum

For Those Waiting For An Hpc

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, that all you've got ? I'll consider my point proven.

If you can't cover those costs with the extra £180 (or £300 in my second example) saved a month then there's something seriously amiss. Insurance is only another £15pcm.

Not forgetting there are costs in renting too, such as budgeting for removals every 12 months (it cost us on average £100 a month over 3yrs) at the whim of the landlord, credit checks, agency fees etc.

What? £1200 to move rentals? Que?

I would consider that "doing it wrong".

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

What? £1200 to move rentals? Que?

We had one landlord that lost his job and wanted back in after just 6 months, so our average tenancy was less than 12 months in a 3yr period. We also had a larger than average house to move. However according to ReallyMoving.com the average removal cost is £600, so if you had to move every 6 months, yep, £100 a month it is. But realistically, you could say £50 a month for the average home.

And you've just started a new business... that would explain your sudden messianic fervour :lol:

Non sequitur, since my stance has been the same for a long while now.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165195&st=0&p=3022809entry3022809

If you've run out of a defence, say so, resorting to personal comments undermines your argument.

We had one landlord that lost his job and wanted back in after just 6 months, so our average tenancy was less than 12 months in a 3yr period. We also had a larger than average house to move. However according to ReallyMoving.com the average removal cost is £600, so if you had to move every 6 months, yep, £100 a month it is. But realistically, you could say £50 a month for the average home.

There we go, so your experience is no more the average thanenter other renter but I would feel a right mug if it cost me that much.

Still not as much of a mug than the thousands in transaction costs for buying and selling at an average of every 5 years. Ouch.

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

This has been covered already in this thread, namely the more expensive the house, the lower the rental yield.

For "the average house" however, circa £166k, things are quite different. I'd be very surprised to see a £166k house rented for the same yield, ie. £310pcm.

A thought just struck me.

You have been busy making a case for saying that the more expensive the house the more value there is in renting it.

Why would you spend your time doing that when reading the Northampton thread you haven't bought an average house!

You are arguing against yourself.

Come on admit it........ that's funny :lol:

You have been busy making a case for saying that the more expensive the house the more value there is in renting it.

Why would you spend your time doing that when reading the Northampton thread you haven't bought an average house!

Since you've read the thread you know of my reasons for moving, they weren't financial. That doesn't preclude me from commenting on the topic.

Isn't one of the HPC mantras "FFS. it's supposed to be a home not an investment" ?

Edited by exiges

Since you've read the thread you know of my reasons for moving, they weren't financial.

Isn't one of the HPC mantras "FFS. it's supposed to be a home not an investment" ?

Then why do you keep posting houses for sale that are also for rent saying it makes more sense financially to buy than rent? :lol:

Look you've made your decision, now go "get on with your life".

I hope you are very happy in your new home.

Then why do you keep posting houses for sale that are also for rent saying it makes more sense financially to buy than rent?

Because in those instances it's true. Must I only comment on a certain sector of the market ?

Look you've made your decision, now go "get on with your life".

Is this forum only for renters ?

Both you and Bruce suggest the fact I now own a home as a reason for my stance, then how do you explain the fact I held the same view when renting ?

Edited by exiges

Because in those instances it's true. Must I only comment on a certain sector of the market ?

Is this forum only for renters ?

You told me off for posting a value rental as if I can only take about a certain sector of the market! :lol:

I am putting your recent behaviour down to the stress of moving. You are better than this.

Have a jolly evening.

Dont really get this thread. If your so obsessed with owning your own home then of course you should buy. You only live once.

If however your not a sheepie and your whole life happiness doesnt revolve around "owning" your own home then dont buy. Because you will be able to buy cheaper in a few years. Prices are still going down even in nominal terms.

Dont really get this thread. If your so obsessed with owning your own home then of course you should buy. You only live once.

If however your not a sheepie and your whole life happiness doesnt revolve around "owning" your own home then dont buy. Because you will be able to buy cheaper in a few years. Prices are still going down even in nominal terms.

Wow. Simplified in 2 gramatically incorrect paragraphs. :lol:

So everyone should rent and no one should own. Who do we rent from in that case?

Wow. Simplified in 2 gramatically incorrect paragraphs. :lol:

So everyone should rent and no one should own. Who do we rent from in that case?

But am I giving advice to everyone? Dont be so silly. Its good advice to have savings but if everyone did then the economy would be shated. There will always be idiots who make bad decisions. Those who are willing to educate themselves can make good decisions by capitilising on other peoples foolishness. And I dont care about my grammer on an internet forum. This isnt the 1960's. I dont have time to waste getting my sentances to have perfect grammer and spelling.

But am I giving advice to everyone? Dont be so silly. Its good advice to have savings but if everyone did then the economy would be shated. There will always be idiots who make bad decisions. Those who are willing to educate themselves can make good decisions by capitilising on other peoples foolishness. And I dont care about my grammer on an internet forum. This isnt the 1960's. I dont have time to waste getting my sentances to have perfect grammer and spelling.

It's. Shafted. capitalising. Sentences. Grammar. Don't

Edited by Lepista

Really, that all you've got ? I'll consider my point proven.

If you can't cover those costs with the extra £180 (or £300 in my second example) saved a month then there's something seriously amiss. Insurance is only another £15pcm.

Not forgetting there are costs in renting too, such as budgeting for removals every 12 months (it cost us on average £100 a month over 3yrs) at the whim of the landlord, credit checks, agency fees etc.

I notice you didn't comment on the costs involvd in (2) or (3)...

The average cost in maintaining a house is 2% of the house price per year, as has been referenced earlier in this thread.

The average cost in maintaining a house is 2% of the house price per year, as has been referenced earlier in this thread.

Wow is this what it is? Yeh thats about what I would expect. You can probably add a % point for people on here who generally will be buying better property than just some council flat.

The OP question is just wrongly framed in my opinion. It's not a question of waiting for a house price crash, although in many parts of UK a HPC has already happened (North West down 23% from peak....nominal). The really big change is that in the absence of house price inflation nobody is under pressure to buy if they choose not to. All the talk of "missing the boat" is just absurd now. If people want to wait, they lose nothing by waiting. This is in stark contrast to the few years leading up to 2007. I was then very nearly pressured (by my own home-owner neurosis) into buying a house I didn't need, to get back into the UK market while I "still had the chance". The house I nearly bought then for 320K is now on the market for 230 and is unsold. I don't think of the last 5 years as waiting for a house price crash though. I just think I'm lucky to have avoided a big mistake, and feel relaxed where I am, knowing that in 5 years time house prices will probably be lower than they are now. I may well buy one in that time frame, but if I do it won't be out of fear that prices are going to soar before I get on the bandwagon. It will be because I want to buy a particular house for a rational purpose.

Why? Is your post going to detonate the HPC forum and wipe us out forever. I have seen more devastating posts in my time.

Oh, I wasn't referring to my own meagre ramblings. I should have written "thread" rather than "post", apologies.

29 pages of name-calling, willy-waving and bullsh!t, all turned up to 11?

You'll notice I did:

"If you can't cover those costs with the extra £180 (or £300 in my second example) saved a month then there's something seriously amiss. Insurance is only another £15pcm. "

The latter example provides an additional 2.5% (£3600 of £142k) towards maintenance. Again that's without comparing the costs that renting incurs which haven't been acknowledged by the renters here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/mar/13/letting-agents-hidden-charges and http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/press_20090521

On this very website are many threads complaining about exorbitant letting fees.

Edited by exiges

This thread, on topic, 431 posts, 16000 reads, gets bizarrely dispatched to the troll forum without a word, but the "A380 wing crack" thread stays in the main forum..

Agree the main forum is so full of junk nowadays. Its meant to he HP and the economy. But instead it ends up being a home for loonies discussing unrelated consiracy theories and foreign policy.