House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Employment Rate Highest Since Records Began

LINK

"The trends in both the employment and unemployment rates are flat. "

"The count of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance benefit increased for the eighth month in succession, and the trend is increasing. The number of job vacancies has fallen. Growth in average earnings, both excluding bonuses and including bonuses, is unchanged."

"The employment rate for people of working age was 74.8 per cent for the three months ending in August 2005, up from 74.7 per cent the previous quarter. "

"The number of people in employment increased by 103,000 over the quarter and by 345,000 over the year, to reach 28.76 million. This is the highest figure since comparable records began in 1971. This quarterly increase in employment was entirely due to more full-time workers. "

"Total hours worked per week increased by 3.2 million over the quarter and by 14.5 million over the year, to reach 920.8 million. "

"The unemployment rate was 4.7 per cent, unchanged both over the quarter and over the year. The last time the rate was lower was in the three months to August 1975 when it was 4.6 per cent. The number of unemployed people decreased by 7,000 over the quarter but increased by 21,000 over the year, to reach 1.42 million. "

"The claimant count was 875,500 in September 2005, up 8,200 on the previous month. The claimant count has increased for eight consecutive months and is 61,700 higher than the recent low point in January 2005."

"The inactivity rate for people of working age was 21.4 per cent for the three months ending in August 2005, down 0.1 percentage point from the previous quarter. The number of economically inactive people of working age fell by 20,000, to reach 7.91 million. This is mainly due to fewer inactive people in the long-term sick category. "

"The annual rate of growth in average earnings (the AEI), excluding bonuses, was 4.0 per cent in August 005, unchanged from the previous month. Including bonuses, it was 4.2 per cent, also unchanged from the previous month."

"The average number of job vacancies for the three months to September 2005 was 625,100. This was down 15,800 on the previous quarter and down 18,100 over the year. The redundancy rate for the three months to August 2005 was 6.1 per 1,000 employees, up 0.9 on the previous quarter."

To summarise:

*Generally sounds good on the face of it economy wise BUT there are worrying signs:

*Job security is not as certain as level of reduncacies is rising

*More people on job seekers allowance

*Number of vacanices is falling

*More hours are worked, but earnings are remaining unchanged

Edited by trev

LINK

"The employment rate for people of working age was 74.8 per cent for the three months ending in August 2005, (28.76 million).

"The unemployment rate was 4.7 per cent, 1.42 million. "

"The inactivity rate for people of working age was 21.4 per cent, 7.91 million."

The staff working at the Office of National Statitistics should join the unemployed in my opinion. They can't even add up!

If 74.8% of working age people equals 28.76 million, then in total (100%) we should have a population of 38.45 million people of working age.

4.7% of these are unemployed. By my figures that's 1.81 million, not the 1.42 mill reported!

21.4% are "economically inactive" i.e. on benefits of a different name. That's 8.23 million people, not the 7.91 reported.

I don't think that it's any co-incidence that almost 1 million people were "erased" from the figures of unemployment. 9.65 million people out of work does not sound so good does it? Why won't the press pick up on this and do something about it? Does nobody check evidence anymore, or have we all become lazy?

:angry:

P.S. It wouldn't surprise me if JSA get's scrapped altogether! Then the claimant count will be nil! Apparently in Newcastle 52% of the working population are employed by the Government! (could someone provide the link to that again for me?)

Gordon Brown reminds me of a pubescent teenage boy who cheats on a computer game, then brags about his score!

:angry: