House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enworb

Slough, The Butt Of All Jokes

Anyone else go to Jongleurs in Reading on Thurs, Fri or last night? I'm still amazed how my hometown gets slated so much. Even the compere, who was from Middlesbrough had a pop. I'm big enough and ugly enough to walk anywhere, any time of day or night in Slough.......... but it would take someone bigger and uglier to walk alone in Boro!

I just want a few reasons of why Slough is so bad. Any "because it's a shxxthole" isn't a reason!

I'm not being pro Slough, I'm going to a annual residents meeting in my village next week and I want to convey your opinions to the council.

I just think the town centre needs modernising but the council spend our council tax and grants from the government on housing people that don't want to work, and not on making the town better for the people that do work.

Any politically correct opinions welcome.

I've only been to Slough once , to a gig , back in the middle 80's . All I remember was lots of traffic and everything being concrete "grey" . Very depressing . Any change now ?

I've only been to Slough once , to a gig , back in the middle 80's . All I remember was lots of traffic and everything being concrete "grey" . Very depressing . Any change now ?

Still plent of traffic. I live in slough central and wok in Maidenhead. It takes half the time if I go to work via Windsor if I work a normal day shift. Normally I work a morning shift or afternoon shift so it makes no difference to me.

If you are on about buildings being grey on the trading estate, they have all been replaced by huge offices, mainly glass. It seems as though manufacturing is moving up north or abroad.Besides, Slough Estates - who own the building on the estate - can make a far bigger rental yield on multi storey offices than single storey factories.

But there are some buildings close to town that look like they are stuck in the 60's. The bus station shown at the beginning of The Office for example. It's about time that it was bulldozered and redevelloped.

Are you still gigging?

Still plent of traffic. I live in slough central and wok in Maidenhead. It takes half the time if I go to work via Windsor if I work a normal day shift. Normally I work a morning shift or afternoon shift so it makes no difference to me.

If you are on about buildings being grey on the trading estate, they have all been replaced by huge offices, mainly glass. It seems as though manufacturing is moving up north or abroad.Besides, Slough Estates - who own the building on the estate - can make a far bigger rental yield on multi storey offices than single storey factories.

But there are some buildings close to town that look like they are stuck in the 60's. The bus station shown at the beginning of The Office for example. It's about time that it was bulldozered and redevelloped.

Are you still gigging?

Sorry :D , I went to watch a gig (The Enid , very original band) .

Anyone else go to Jongleurs in Reading on Thurs, Fri or last night? I'm still amazed how my hometown gets slated so much. Even the compere, who was from Middlesbrough had a pop. I'm big enough and ugly enough to walk anywhere, any time of day or night in Slough.......... but it would take someone bigger and uglier to walk alone in Boro!

I just want a few reasons of why Slough is so bad. Any "because it's a shxxthole" isn't a reason!

I'm not being pro Slough, I'm going to a annual residents meeting in my village next week and I want to convey your opinions to the council.

I just think the town centre needs modernising but the council spend our council tax and grants from the government on housing people that don't want to work, and not on making the town better for the people that do work.

Any politically correct opinions welcome.

I suppose you could turn the question around and ask yourself have you have been anywhere else in the UK and had a good look around?

(I admit though someone from Middlesbrough criticising it is a bit rich).

I suppose you could turn the question around and ask yourself have you have been anywhere else in the UK and had a good look around?

(I admit though someone from Middlesbrough criticising it is a bit rich).

I must admit, I normally only venture East of Slough to London. My job sometimes involves travelling to other sites of the company that I work for, either in the Midlands or a small town in Wales.

Apart from London and maybe sunny destinations abroard, I can't think of a place i'd rather live. Sad I know but we have all the amenities we need here.But the town centre needs a decent face lift and parts of the town flattening and starting again. If you know Slough you'll know which parts I mean :o

I've had the pleasure of living in both Slough and Boro'. Slough is by far the more boring of the two. It's the only place I know of where pubs and nightclubs were virtually empty even when England footy matches were on. In contrast, Middlesbrough buzzes almost every night.

As for walking alone in Boro, what's the problem? I used to walk from Linthorpe to Club Bongo twice a week... I was a student, and a Southerner to boot, and never once ran into trouble.

I've had the pleasure of living in both Slough and Boro'. Slough is by far the more boring of the two. It's the only place I know of where pubs and nightclubs were virtually empty even when England footy matches were on. In contrast, Middlesbrough buzzes almost every night.

As for walking alone in Boro, what's the problem? I used to walk from Linthorpe to Club Bongo twice a week... I was a student, and a Southerner to boot, and never once ran into trouble.

You must be bigger and uglier than me then :P

I watched a program about Middlesbrough about a year ago. It is without doubt one of the livliest places, but I couldn't believe the trouble when the pubs and closed shut.

A doorman at a Slough pub beat up someone pretty badly..... about 10 years ago. To this day we still have a van full of police at each end of the high street, just in case there is trouble.

I agree that Slough is boring at the moment. It wasn't when 2 clubs on the high street had "all you can drink for £15" but that ended when the government stopped binge drinking. That's why I think the town centre needs a face lift.

Doesn't help :(

http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html

'I feel safer in the Bronx than on Slough streets'

Oct 14 2005

AN elderly widow considered killing herself after the crack addict who viciously robbed her threatened to 'burn her up' if she testified against him, a court heard.

Seventy-two-year-old Florence Bradford was 'sick' with fear when the letter arrived from violent Klinton Dunn who had punched her to the ground to steal a paltry £2.

Dunn, 22, of Ledgers Road, Chalvey, was sentenced to eight years, three months on Friday at Reading Crown court. Mrs Bradford said the sentence was not enough.

Story continues Continue story

"He is a dangerous man who needed to be locked away," said the former seamstress.

And the pensioner, whose husband died 33 years ago, said she felt safer in the Bronx where she has friends than on the streets of Slough.

"I go around there on my own. I feel safer there than I do here."

Earlier in the hearing Judge Zoe Smith heard that Dunn threatened to burn the pensioner if she testified against him about the attack on her doorstep last November.

Dunn - who used up to £180 of crack a day - wrote to the widow while awaiting trial for that robbery and for robbing 80-year-old Margaret Colehill in Cippenham a month earlier.

In both cases the women were punched repeatedly in the face until they let go of their handbags.

The letter, read to the judge, said: "I'm watching you from my flat, so don't go to court. I will kill you.

"I'm watching at your door. Be ready for summer because you're going to burn up. You're playing with fire. Watch, I will kill you."

Prosecutor Barnaby Evans told the judge: "Mrs Bradford felt scared and sick when the contents of the letter were described to her. She considered taking all her pills to commit suicide because of the contents of the letter."

Mr Evans said both Mrs Bradford and Mrs Colehill had been made 'extremely nervous' since the attacks.

The assaults on the two pensioners were carried out while Dunn was on release on licence from a Young Offenders' Institute where he was serving a three-year sentence for the attacks on two schoolboys.

In mitigation, Hugo Lodge said Dunn committed the crimes on a heady cocktail of drugs and had drug-related debts of £700.

But Judge Smith described the attacks as 'sickening' and branded Dunn a 'significant danger to the public'.

"You have never made any contribution to society."

He was sentenced to seven years for the robberies and 15 months for the intimidation."

Sorry , sick of me , but I was thinking of changing it to :

"The letter, read to the judge, said: "I'm watching you from my "Executive Appartment" , so don't go to court. I will kill you.

Maybe that is the future , who knows .

Edited by Wankan

I must admit, I normally only venture East of Slough to London. My job sometimes involves travelling to other sites of the company that I work for, either in the Midlands or a small town in Wales.

Apart from London and maybe sunny destinations abroard, I can't think of a place i'd rather live. Sad I know but we have all the amenities we need here.But the town centre needs a decent face lift and parts of the town flattening and starting again. If you know Slough you'll know which parts I mean :o

I admit that my experience of Slough is somewhat limited. I have to go to the ICI plant once or twice a year and thats my sum total knowledge of the place. I've never had a night out in the Slough so I can't really comment.

I suppose Ricky Gervais didn't do Slough many favours.

Of course it doesn't help when a poet laureate is having a pop:

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow.

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens

Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town—

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week a half a crown

For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars

In various bogus-Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

(John Betjeman)

Edited by TW11

Slough us a horrid horrid place, My girlfriend lived there as a nurse and worked in the A&E department there. Some of the stories she told me where shocking, people getting stabbed at cash points, girls getting beaten up by other girls on nights out.

The air quality and traffic in the town is terrible too, try getting anywhere at rush hour.