House Price Crash Forum

I have seen this nice house for rent.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-35662748.html

NO INTERNET! £1,750 pcm

Unfortunately even if the rent was free I wouldn't move to a house where no Internet was available. Surely this house is worthless without the possibility of Internet either 3g or ADSL.

1, Would you buy or rent a house where no Internet was available?

2, How can you check 100% that a house can get Internet before exchanging contracts? Would you need to pay upfront for a landline + a minimum contract of a years line rental and broadband package just to test connectivity?

Perhaps you can get a BT engineer to come the property and test the line before exchange? Then after exchanging contracts you find that actually you cant get broadband??

I have seen this nice house for rent.

http://www.rightmove...y-35662748.html

NO INTERNET! £1,750 pcm

Unfortunately even if the rent was free I wouldn't move to a house where no Internet was available. Surely this house is worthless without the possibility of Internet either 3g or ADSL.

2, How can you check 100% that a house can get Internet before exchanging contracts? Would you need to pay upfront for a landline + a minimum contract of a years line rental and broadband package just to test connectivity?

Perhaps you can get a BT engineer to come the property and test the line before exchange? Then after exchanging contracts you find that actually you cant get broadband??

You can always get internet one way or another if you own the place:

http://www.satelliteinternet.co.uk/

If you're renting, it's less clear as you may not be able to stick a satellite dish on the roof etc. I find it hard to believe this house isn't covered by mobile broadband though.

You can always get internet one way or another if you own the place:

http://www.satelliteinternet.co.uk/

If you're renting, it's less clear as you may not be able to stick a satellite dish on the roof etc. I find it hard to believe this house isn't covered by mobile broadband though.

Up to a point. There are a few locations around here, like a steep wooded valley, where I wouldn't rely on it (and a lot of places around here where I couldn't move to without satellite due to lack of connectivity).

Then there's the risk of being refused permission to put up a satellite dish if your house has anything interesting about it.

But on the whole, no internet just means limiting who can live there. The real bugger is uncertainty over whether there might be a problem when you contemplate moving somewhere, and BT's refusal to give a clear answer until it's far too late. :angry:

Buy a PAYG broadband dongle from a couple of suppliers - say 3 (3 use orange networks too) and vodafone. Install each one on laptop and check reception outside the house. Wouldn;t rely on whatever you were told by shop in regards signal levels / likely perfomance. Only cost a few quid and you've got emergency broadband backup if no joy with above - actually quite useful to have, excep the only deals you seem to be able to get nowadays are the monthly expring credits so a top up would be required for casual use.

Odd that it says no internet though - must be a long way from the exchange.

Edited by OnlyMe

Yes, true, so that is one network checked if you have 3g phone.

Last couple of rented places I looked at, I took my netbook and 3G dongle with me. This is the only person that managed to move to London Docklands in 2001 and find the only apartment that couldn't get internet, apart from dial up.

When I took this rental house I could not get 3G coverage and went to the expense of paying for 12 months line rental upfront so that I could order broadband, I would have had to turn down the tenancy if there was no broadband Internet connection as I would not be able to work any longer.

I only get 3mb/s on a good day. The last house we owned had cable 50mb/s if we wanted, we only had 20bm though.

Since I might be moving to rural Eire this year I will need to go through through some hassle with this as the broadband coverage from Eirecom has a reputation. If we buy I guess it would need to be in the contract, no broadband, no exchange.

Buy a PAYG broadband dongle from a couple of suppliers - say 3 (3 use orange networks too) and vodafone. Install each one on laptop and check reception outside the house. Wouldn;t rely on whatever you were told by shop in regards signal levels / likely perfomance. Only cost a few quid and you've got emergency broadband backup if no joy with above - actually quite useful to have, excep the only deals you seem to be able to get nowadays are the monthly expring credits so a top up would be required for casual use.

Odd that it says no internet though - must be a long way from the exchange.

You'd be surprised a lot of places in the country (Cheshire/Shropshire) haven't got broadband, and the dial up is iffy at best of times (cut off unexpectedly) its worse the further away from the exchange, I'm lucky in the village where I live (Hertfordshire) as we have a village exchange a few hundred yards away, the next village (mile and half away) has a different area code and the broadband is next to useless.

Edited by Hectors House

Carncil flat in't Barnsley, 100MB no problem. Faster than South Korean major cities on average! Within walking distance of a station. 3 bed houses in the 3.5+1 multiple, affordable range for even min wage staff. Unfortunately prices rising, but business booming and new shops opening. Best market in country, but perhaps not for long if rent(sic) rises!

Carncil flat in't Barnsley, 100MB no problem. Faster than South Korean major cities on average! Within walking distance of a station. 3 bed houses in the 3.5+1 multiple, affordable range for even min wage staff. Unfortunately prices rising, but business booming and new shops opening. Best market in country, but perhaps not for long if rent(sic) rises!

BBC Look North the other day that there hadn't been enough take up for the South Yorkshire high speed fibre. No one really knew what to do with it and there hadn't been an influx of high tech firms.

My own broadband to my carncil flat gets upgraded from 50MB to 100MB shortly, I'm toying with the idea of fibre/leased line next year. Might do some server colocation. There is room in the gas meter cupboard. ;)

Edited by "Steed"

No, not in a million years. It's like asking people if you would buy or rent a house without electricity, IMHO.

The same goes for Freeview signal with all 6 Muxes, and full satellite coverage (don't want any nasty trees to the south blocking the signal that turn out to be protected by ridiculous preservation orders, or are in neighbour's gardens etc.)