House Price Crash Forum

Interest Rates

HOLA441

PS interest rate increases will also increase the exchange rate which makes the UK less competitive - another reason to think that rates won't increase.

But we are an overall importer, so mathematically we need a strong currency. Exports would take a hit, but we import all/ most of our raw materials so these would be cheaper. I think it's swings and roundabouts.

HOLA442

US Fed predicts at least mid 2014 before a modest rate rise, and they've got almost 3% pa economic growth. We've got zero growth so we will have lower rates for even longer. Negative interest rates are here to stay, at least til 2014-15. The argument seems to be about how to loosen policy further when IRs are near zero. I expect a lot more printing and bank lending criteria being aggressively loosened to something like 2006 standards. They will create another boom followed by a bigger bust.

Edited by ingermany

HOLA443

Is there any FTB 10yr fixed? I struggle to find any.

http://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/10-year-fixed-rate-mortgages.htm

75% to 80% max LTV.

If you have the deposit, you can borrow at a fixed rate for 10 years.

In Germany, you can borrow at a fixed rate for around 4.25% for 20 years in a traditional repayment mortgage.

HOLA444
HOLA445

There is a new 10yr fixed with Norwich & Peterborough at 3.99%, it doesnt say its not for FTBs, so I guess anyone can apply.

Yes FTBs can apply, it's got a £195 fee and it's portable if you need to move (assuming you still meet the criteria) 75% max LTV. This is a very good deal IMO.

YBS do a similar one at 4.19%

HOLA446