House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Starbucks To Offer More Value

... and get wiped out by your rent ...

BTW any coffee shop lovers here care to tell us what chains you prefer and why? Starbucks vs Costa, for instance? I use them so rarely I don't really have a feel for them, but collectively they seem to be taking market share for social drinking from pubs!

If I'm oot and aboot, I will go to a little place called Les Cuillieres Meteorologiques, they have really cheap coffee, free wifi, plenty of seats and power points and branches all over the country.

Tim Martin, the man who runs the chain seems like a pretty switched-on guy too.

£1.50 for a tall filter coffee drops to £1 if you pay with a starbucks card.

But this is Filter coffee.. not espresso ... IMHO not as nice.

Still at £1 a cup and free wifi then you can't really go wrong.

Most starbucks cannot do a good "flat white" (the most difficult coffee to master) which is my acid test of whether they are competent baristas.

... and get wiped out by your rent ...

BTW any coffee shop lovers here care to tell us what chains you prefer and why? Starbucks vs Costa, for instance? I use them so rarely I don't really have a feel for them, but collectively they seem to be taking market share for social drinking from pubs!

..I use Cafe Nero ...in most reviews it comes out ahead among the chains for the quality of their coffee....find Costa a bit strong ..while Starbucks IMO is not that great and would rate McDonalds coffee ahead of them ...again IMO.... :)

. ..while Starbucks IMO is not that great and would rate McDonalds coffee ahead of them ...again IMO.... :)

Now I do disagree... at least starbucks use a fair shot of real coffee... mcdonalds coffee is sooo weak.

..I use Cafe Nero ...in most reviews it comes out ahead among the chains for the quality of their coffee....find Costa a bit strong ..while Starbucks IMO is not that great and would rate McDonalds coffee ahead of them ...again IMO.... :)

I like my coffee strong, all coffee shops seem to serve weak coffee, sometimes I can't taste the coffee at all, just milky water with sugar, so I'll stick with my strong filtered fresh coffee I make at home....

Costa's unique coffee blend is now at Clayton Green. And like all our restaurants, free WiFi is also available. So, whether you've just tucked into something tasty from the buffet, are meeting old friends or just want a bit of 'me time', you can treat yourself to one of your Costa favourites. Why not pop along and enjoy unlimited refills for £2.50 today?

Ok - so could you really take your laptop and work all day for £2.50?

I'm not sure I could work in a noisy coffee shop...

£1.50 for a tall filter coffee drops to £1 if you pay with a starbucks card.

But this is Filter coffee.. not espresso ... IMHO not as nice.

Still at £1 a cup and free wifi then you can't really go wrong.

Most starbucks cannot do a good "flat white" (the most difficult coffee to master) which is my acid test of whether they are competent baristas.

They've elbowed the discount on filter coffee with the relaunch of their 'Rewards' scheme. Some very unhappy and vociferous customers all over social media, as they've cut a lot of the benefits from the scheme (as they were presumably costing too much).

Me, I like a Pret 99p filter.

99p coffee at Pret! So there is cheap coffee out there, as long as you don't choose an overpriced cappulatte thing.

Yep, avoid the frappa-latte-moccachino stuff and drink proper coffee. Course the chains prefer to promote the flavoured milk at £3.50 a pop. Costa/Nero don't do filter, but apparently Costa are starting to offer it soon, along with free Wi-fi.

Yep, avoid the frappa-latte-moccachino stuff and drink proper coffee. Course the chains prefer to promote the flavoured milk at £3.50 a pop. Costa/Nero don't do filter, but apparently Costa are starting to offer it soon, along with free Wi-fi.

Actually I've enjoyed Costa a few times: getting something a bit different and unconventional! But I doubt that would have staying power if I made it a regular thing.

As for filter coffee, it's too bland and boring to go back to - having spent several years in Italy. Glad to see some UK places serve real espresso, though it's very hit-and-miss ordering one.

cOk - so could you really take your laptop and work all day for £2.50?

I'm not sure I could work in a noisy coffee shop...

£1.50. :)

I actually like the noise and buzz of a coffee shop, and if it gets too much I slip on the headphones.

I like my coffee strong, all coffee shops seem to serve weak coffee, sometimes I can't taste the coffee at all, just milky water with sugar, so I'll stick with my strong filtered fresh coffee I make at home....

...ahh....I drink it black ...no milk...no sugar....and my wife takes one shot in her Cafe Nero cup...while I end up with three as they give me the one she drops......of course strength is personal preference while taste is the mark of quality.... :rolleyes:

...ahh....I drink it black ...no milk...no sugar....and my wife takes one shot in her Cafe Nero cup...while I end up with three as they give me the one she drops......of course strength is personal preference while taste is the mark of quality.... :rolleyes:

I like it strong, black, smooth without sugar...a tot of brandy either in or next to goes down a treat on special occasions. ;)

Coffee messes you up, so bad for you and more addictive than nicotene. :huh:

Cracks me up how over the last decade it has somehow become a lifestyle choice or a status symbol or something. I only ever buy one out if I'm getting a train at stupid oclock and need to wake up for a meeting, get a costa at the station. Makes me shake until the afternoon. Crazy.

Simple "White coffee to take away please" whilst the goons infront of me are getting off on ordering their skinny latte caramel dusto with chocolate sprinkles and anorexic milk. what the actual ****. "Fat milk or thin milk" I was asked.

One thing I've noticed specifically to starbucks is you can tell by walking past one that the people inside are as concerned with how they appear to the passers by, as they are as to the people they're sat with. like its a badge of cool sitting in a window in a cheap pvc chair with a big white mug with some green letters on it. :lol:

Coffee messes you up, so bad for you and more addictive than nicotene. :huh:

Really? When I occasionally give up the caffiene, I feel mildly unwell for about 24 hours (like being down with a mild lurgy), after which I'm fine.

Cracks me up how over the last decade it has somehow become a lifestyle choice or a status symbol or something. I only ever buy one out if I'm getting a train at stupid oclock and need to wake up for a meeting, get a costa at the station. Makes me shake until the afternoon. Crazy.

Last decade? It was causing trouble 300 years ago!

Judging by my experience in the northern towns (Warrington to be specific), coffee shops seem to be massively bucking the trend in this recession.

You go out in town and there is a steady foot fall, but the shops are practically empty (except TK Maxx). The only place you always find people is in the coffee shops.. and there are more of them every week.

Even completely non-related stores are opening internal coffee shops to try to cash in.

The only logic I can find is that people want to go out in town (almost more through boredom/entertainment than anything else). Money is tight so after window shopping they decide not to buy themselves anything and instead go for a coffee because they deserve it, because they didn't spend any money.

Additional logic - there is no space in a shoebox flat and one will end up claustrophobic. So what better than to go to a replicated living room with some decent drinks so you can relax from the stress of working a sheeple life?

I do wonder about whether those who order those sugar milk drinks understand how much sugar they are pouring into their system.

And I would also agree about the whole caffeine addiction thing. I used to drink 4-6 cups of strong coffee a day. Now I drink none, and have a spare weapon to use in my day-to-day armoury if I know there is a particularly dreary meeting or report reading coming up. I find that a good 45 minute thrashing in the gym first thing in the morning keeps me going all day and I don't need any caffeine.

I like it strong, black, smooth without sugar...a tot of brandy either in or next to goes down a treat on special occasions. ;)

I like it very similar to you but without the coffee. :)