House Price Crash Forum
aclwalker

Grand Designs Revisited Today (sat).

Did anyone see Grand Designs revisted today? You might have been watching "kermit - the younger years" on Channel 5 instead.

It followed the story of a lady architect and her Dutch city banker 'partner', doing up an old South London violin factory for them to live in.

The budget was £1m!!!! They ended up going over by 900k.

Anyway, I was struck by the naivety of them both. While not the worst on these sort of programmes, they still weren't too clued up.

The first shock was that it was built on reclaimed marsh land, so they had to underpin before they could build.

Most amusing though was the dispute that lasted 3 years or so (the length of time the programme took to make), about a wall they shared with a neighbouring theatre or something or other. They had to extend this wall.

Anyway, it turned out that the area was a conservation area and that they had extended this wall with pink brick instead of "London stock" brick, whatever that is.

When they were faced with having to take the wall down, Kevin McCloud asked Milko (Dutch banker) what they would do if the decision went against them.

He said: "Well, we'll just have to write them a blank cheque and ask them what they want." :blink: But then he quickly backtracked, and clarified: "...to do the work." when he realised that it had sounded like he'd just suggested on TV that he they would bribe them.

In the end the work cost £1.9m and it had no windows, only skylights. It was full of modern stuff but it didn't really look like a place to live.

Oh yes, they also spent £35k (or thereabouts) on an OVEN!!! A big massive thing that a hotel would have. They had a dumb waiter too.

Some folk have too much money.

EDIT: typo central

Edited by aclwalker

I only watched about 5 minutes of this but had to turn over because I could not believe what I was watching. It occured to me that couples used to wish to be happy but today it seems to be to build your own luxury home.

I only watched about 5 minutes of this but had to turn over because I could not believe what I was watching. It occured to me that couples used to wish to be happy but today it seems to be to build your own luxury home.

Indeed.

I saw the couple that spent nearly two million quid on a place in Lambeth.

Yeah, nice one. Two million quid and you're scared to go out at night.*

Plus it was about as charming and welcoming as a morgue.

Normally I quite like the program. But tonight I'm thinking, two million qiuid. Would I live in central London if I had two million quid to spend?

Er, no.

*someone from Lambeth is about to have a go at me now :P

Normally I quite like the program. But tonight I'm thinking, two million qiuid. Would I live in central London if I had two million quid to spend?

Er, no.

Catch-22. You have to work in central London in order to be able to afford to spend £2 million, so then you either live in central London or you have a long commute every day.

Catch-22. You have to work in central London in order to be able to afford to spend £2 million, so then you either live in central London or you have a long commute every day.

Start the rat noises sound effect!

Edited by magictorch