House Price Crash Forum

W H Smiths The Next To Go ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16715077

I know they've got a monopoly in the airports/train stations, but their high street stuff.. well, selling CDs + Books in a store isn't exactly the industry to be in right now.

WH Smith says same-store sales have slipped 5% on the previous year, but says its profit will still be in line with expectations.

The newspapers, books and stationery retailer said its strategy of improving profit margins and cutting costs, rather than pushing sales, was working.

It trades from more than 600 town centre stores and more than 560 other outlets at airports and train stations.

The sales fall, for the 21 weeks to 25 January, is a slight improvement.

Sales for the first 10 weeks of the period fell by 6%.

Same-store, or like-for-like sales, strip out store openings and closures.

WH Smith's chief executive, Kate Swann, called it a "resilient performance", but added that the environment would continue to be challenging.

She said that the business was moving from its dependence on Christmas trading, which now accounted for less than 50% of profits, compared with 90% of profits six years ago.

Edited by exiges
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They, unbeknownst to me, charged be 1p for a poly back. I feel like take the receipt in and asking for it back.

There was no indication they were going to charge me and they didnt ask me if I didnt want to back.

I could easily have put the item in my pocket and saved a penny.

I shan't use them again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16715077

I know they've got a monopoly in the airports/train stations, but their high street stuff.. well, selling CDs + Books in a store isn't exactly the industry to be in right now.

they used ot be good, but now the shop in Southampton is a small selection of alot of different stuff, their Books, stationery, CD's DVD's sections are too small and dont carry enough variety, the greeting cards and mag's are better and have the more specilist stuff normal news agents dont sell.

they could move ot a bigger premises, but look what happened to boarders, who sold the same stuff but a wider variety.

all WH Smiths are now, is a chain News agents who also sells some books, CD's and DVD's etc. with a post office. who also have a large presence in stations, ports and motorway services.

all WH Smiths are now, is a chain News agents who also sells some books, CD's and DVD's etc. with a post office. who also have a large presence in stations, ports and motorway services.

In Leicester the Post Office is in WH Smiths and the main post office closed down! Couldn't believe it till I saw it.

This would be cheaper: http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

This might actually work...

A Tool to Quit Smoking Has Some Unlikely Critics

If you want a truly frustrating job in public health, try getting people to stop smoking. Even when researchers combine counseling and encouragement with nicotine patches and gum, few smokers quit...

Surprised they've lasted this long. Prices for simple stuff like pads and envelopes is crazy.

I imagine its because they are well managed, all companies are prone to sector downturns and technological extinction, but some companies are actually well run as in not leveraged up to the nuts in debt to service on the back of nonsense future growth projections and without that burden most companies could get through quite severe contractions, unfortunately most UK companies (at least in WH Smiths sectors of retail and travel) havent been well managed

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

I used to work for Smiths when I was 17.

Back then the company was split into 2 - WH Smith High Street, and WH Smith Travel. High Street includes High Street stores, Travel is all of the rip off shops in airports and train stations.

Back then, WH Smith Travel made good money, but WH Smith High Street didn't make a lot. This has been a long time coming. My boss even used to regularly point out that we need to have good customer service because "We don't sell anything".

They, unbeknownst to me, charged be 1p for a poly back. I feel like take the receipt in and asking for it back.

There was no indication they were going to charge me and they didnt ask me if I didnt want to back.

I could easily have put the item in my pocket and saved a penny.

I shan't use them again.

You've inspired me to return carrier bags to M&S. They charge 10p and you can return stuff within 3 months.... genius! :P

I wonder if anyone has ever tried it.

Despite the fact their prices are very much on the toppy side the volumes they sell are still enormous.

Not a 100% what the situation is now but they certainly were significantly larger volumes than the supermarkets, on the same categories, for whom quite a lot non-food merchandise does nothing more than warm shelves in reality - quite often from customer ignorance about what an extensive range they stock.

Might be the case they do a big chunk of sales in the SE. In London, if you want to buy a diary there, you've a choice of an over-priced one from WH Smith or an even more over-priced one from Ryman.

Absolutely staggered they've lasted as long as they have. Wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of bailout on the QT as seems rather more than gravity defying.

The shy young lady attempting to spruik legal services from a corner desk seemed very strange indeed.

Yes, it does smack of desperation... when a newsagent diversifies by renting space to a law firm. And the random stands that pop up once in a while promoting face cream, or holidays or something.

A lot of these stores seem to have lost their way or have never had a well defined product range... Robert Dyas (hardware, but a bit of furniture, oh and electornic gizmos...), Maplin (electrical components, and um, remote control toys, oh and salt for icy paths!?!?!), Past Times (anything that looks like it is old, or is influenced by something old, but by old we mean anything that is quaint or nice), WHSMITH (newspapers, magazines, whatever was cool 10 years after it was cool).

You can tell they're desperate. They allow hard sellers (not sure what but think exotic facial creams and teeth whitening) to use their doorway in Manchester Arndale centre.

They tried that in Huddersfield. Talk Talk salespeople who I skill fully ignored, only to be chased out the door!

Smiths are always promoting rubbish at the tills. Chocolate bars mainly.

Also I think our local Smiths had a makeover, the carpet was very dirty, now they have splashed out wood flooring.

I can only assume they have low debt, or own their own stores. I'm sure Pirate Equity would have bust them by now.

They tried that in Huddersfield. Talk Talk salespeople who I skill fully ignored, only to be chased out the door!

Smiths are always promoting rubbish at the tills. Chocolate bars mainly.

Also I think our local Smiths had a makeover, the carpet was very dirty, now they have splashed out wood flooring.

I can only assume they have low debt, or own their own stores. I'm sure Pirate Equity would have bust them by now.

Bear in mind a lot of stores in the best pitches, like shopping centres, owning the freehold is not a possibility.

Their quarterly rent bill will be hefty - they'll be in a very strong position on renewals, as one of the more anchor tenants, though.

Almost everything you buy in WH Smith apart from a newspaper can be bought for less elsewhere...how they keep in business I don't know...some of their larger stores in the top retail spots must be supporting many of the loss making ones...or taking that they are such an old established business that hasn't moved with the times to any great extent... they must own their freeholds or have very good rental agreements.... :unsure: