House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Down 50% In Six Months

Alnwick, Northumberland, featured in a 'Country Life' magazine survey in mid-2003, which claimed the market town was the best place to live in Britain. (The claim was derived from quality of schools, cost of living, etc). It then experienced massive speculative buying - almost entirely by out of towners (Northumberland has the lowest average income in England - lower even than Cornwall - many locals were priced out). This led to some terraced houses (nice, old, reasonable quality) rising to 120k, where they were this spring. I've now seen a few on a property website going for 60k.

Asking prices down from 120k to 60k in six months - is that the biggest fall yet to be experienced?

(Incidentally, the houses were being put on the website 'sans photo', which, me thinks, points towards a speculative investment!)

PS - I tried to do that clever thing with links to the property pages to prove the figures, but couldn't.

Sorry guys, I don't believe this "it was priced at £200k now selling for £100k" story.

What it tells me is that asking prices were completely stupid 2 years ago.

I want to see land reg details where a specific house has dropped 30%.

I don't doubt that the crash is moving into full swing, but asking prices are meaningless.

Sorry guys, I don't believe this "it was priced at £200k now selling for £100k" story.

What it tells me is that asking prices were completely stupid 2 years ago.

I want to see land reg details where a specific house has dropped 30%.

I don't doubt that the crash is moving into full swing, but asking prices are meaningless.

Agreed, but I suspect there were a very small number of people that did actually spend rather stupid amounts on property over the last coupe of years. Lucky sellers mind.