House Price Crash Forum

Sofas,beds And Carpets

getdoon_weebobby

HOLA441

who has the best choice of good quality sofas at reasonable prices in the belfast area?.

probably a large modern comfortable corner sofa

who has the best choice of good quality beds at reasonable prices in the belfast area?

where best to go to for carpets in the belfast area?

weebobby has a new house to furnish!

HOLA442
HOLA443

Glad to see you finally got there in the end. I'll send you a bill for my consultancy fees in the near future :lol:

Realistic NI EA - i dont complete until tomorrow!! talk about a long drawn out affair !!

thanks you were a great help to me!! if carlsberg did EAs!!

MSE - looking now. Martin Phillips carpets gets good mentions

HOLA444

Martin Philips good for carpets, they have some nice stuff used for the danesfort bt9 development at a good price. They are willing to negotiate as well.

Sofas and beds I bought at the closing down sale of dekko on Boucher . Dreams were good for beds and willing to negotiate, think they might be called bensons now.

DFS has a pretty nasty selection of sofas, best avoided. There is a big place opposite tesco.on Lisburn Rd with a good furniture selection. If you want modern and money is no object then Living Space on Oxford st, opposite waterfront hall is great.

Where did you buy, BT9? maybe Danesfort now they've dropped their prices?

HOLA445

Martin Philips good for carpets, they have some nice stuff used for the danesfort bt9 development at a good price. They are willing to negotiate as well.

Sofas and beds I bought at the closing down sale of dekko on Boucher . Dreams were good for beds and willing to negotiate, think they might be called bensons now.

DFS has a pretty nasty selection of sofas, best avoided. There is a big place opposite tesco.on Lisburn Rd with a good furniture selection. If you want modern and money is no object then Living Space on Oxford st, opposite waterfront hall is great.

Where did you buy, BT9? maybe Danesfort now they've dropped their prices?

cheers. dont want to give exact location away online!! (will pm u ) but i bought a repossessed semi detached house on one of the streets that run between malone and lisburn road . for example windsor park / adelaide park / cadogen park/cranmore etc etc. i believe i paid 62.5% less than it was asking at the peak and 12% under RV. the house is in excellent condition .carpets need changed in bedrooms but apart from that its just furniture needs bought.

danesfort - i liked the white semis up there. id say you could get them for around 300k or just over if u have the finances. wife isnt keen on the location prefers streets between malone/lisburn . these were 750k+ at peak .

thanks for the shop suggestions . at the moment going to take a look at

http://www.ideasinfurniture.com/

lisb rd

http://www.fultons.co.uk/

boucher

http://www.creations-interiors.com/

boucher

http://www.livingspace-ni.com/

waterfront hall

http://www.dreams.co.uk/

boucher

http://www.martinphillipscarpets.co.uk/

ormeaau embankement/ravenhill rd

and see what i see there...

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

HOLA446

cheers. dont want to give exact location away online!! (will pm u ) but i bought a repossessed semi detached house on one of the streets that run between malone and lisburn road . for example windsor park / adelaide park / cadogen park/cranmore etc etc. i believe i paid 62.5% less than it was asking at the peak and 12% under RV. the house is in excellent condition .carpets need changed in bedrooms but apart from that its just furniture needs bought.

danesfort - i liked the white semis up there. id say you could get them for around 300k or just over if u have the finances. wife isnt keen on the location prefers streets between malone/lisburn . these were 750k+ at peak .

thanks for the shop suggestions . at the moment going to take a look at fultons,creative interiors,living space,ideasinfurniture ( opp tesco on lisb rd), dreams and martin phillips and see what i see there...

Weebobby can you let me know how you got on with the agent (who it was and what they were like for price negotiations?). Was the placed advertised? I'm really interested to know how helpful the agent was as this is my target area. (Don’t think I came across your house). If you can PM me, it would be much appreciated.

HOLA447

If you're looking for nice, solid wood furniture and decent value for money, I don't think you can go wrong with D2 Furniture. They don't have a showroom, so have a look online at their range and ring up to get a price. I bought a bed frame that was 3/4's the price it was in shops in Portadown and a TV entertainment stand thing that was half the price. Don't be afraid to haggle eiether, especially if buying in bulk! http://www.d2dfurniture.co.uk/

As for Fultons? My wife was admiring a lovely lamp when we walked in for the first time and remarked that it was great value at £99.99 - that was until I pointed out that she had missed a 9, and the price was really £999.99. Perhaps stuff of that price is only good enough for the weebobby household B)

If you're looking to carpet a room on the cheap, then you should definitely consider checking out the remnants section (they'll be in any independent carpet shop). It certainly didn't bother my wife or I that some rooms had different colour carpet than others, and we got some lovely, luxuriously soft carpeting at budget prices. Oh, and don't necessarily go with the store recommended carpet fitter...

Seriously though, don't be afraid to haggle, you should be able to get a discount off all the stuff you're looking for. If you feel nervous about the haggling part, bring a friend or relative who will be willing to do it.

HOLA448

If you're looking for nice, solid wood furniture and decent value for money, I don't think you can go wrong with D2 Furniture. They don't have a showroom, so have a look online at their range and ring up to get a price. I bought a bed frame that was 3/4's the price it was in shops in Portadown and a TV entertainment stand thing that was half the price. Don't be afraid to haggle eiether, especially if buying in bulk! http://www.d2dfurniture.co.uk/

As for Fultons? My wife was admiring a lovely lamp when we walked in for the first time and remarked that it was great value at £99.99 - that was until I pointed out that she had missed a 9, and the price was really £999.99. Perhaps stuff of that price is only good enough for the weebobby household B)

If you're looking to carpet a room on the cheap, then you should definitely consider checking out the remnants section (they'll be in any independent carpet shop). It certainly didn't bother my wife or I that some rooms had different colour carpet than others, and we got some lovely, luxuriously soft carpeting at budget prices. Oh, and don't necessarily go with the store recommended carpet fitter...

Seriously though, don't be afraid to haggle, you should be able to get a discount off all the stuff you're looking for. If you feel nervous about the haggling part, bring a friend or relative who will be willing to do it.

fultons . haha i have never been in there.if thats the prices i will give it a wide berth!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

my property was advertised for a month or two

i bought a semi detached property. rv was 340k . and old internet link leads me to believe it was advertised at around 800k years ago.

smell the fear / 2buyornottobuy - im sure you would of seen ours . its not to everyones taste but we really like it.

i found the estate agent to be far better than i expected,and have no complaints.

initially i made a quick offer to get the property deal done but they sat on my offer for 4 weeks without a yes or not which was very frustrating as i was left wondering if it was being used by estate agent to generate offers.

to be fair to the EA they seemed as frustrated by me with the delay which did leave me puzzled for a few weeks wtf was going on.

i had a lot of help from someone on the forums at that time in PMs which was of great help to me and will forever be appreciated.

in the end the sale took a while to complete because of slowness on the part of the bank and their solicitor ( and the festive period ) which seemed to back up that it was the bank being slow at the start and not EA .

we only looked at 3 places as most you can discredit without viewing thanks to internet /streetview etc etc

i think this has to be the year that vendors and EAs get real.

2buyornottobuy where have you been looking and how have you go on??

we had all finances in place so taken seriously when i played my hand

i can see the property falling further in value but this suited us from where we are in our life just now

HOLA4413

I'm intrigued Bobby, sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy it, you're in a great area, convenient for everything.

Hope you enjoy sorting it out to your taste. I agree on things getting worse but hopefully not much. If they drop much further the implication will be that all land in NI including prime areas of Belfast are effectively worthless given the cost of replacing a building in today's money

Edited by Smell the Fear

HOLA4414

I'm intrigued Bobby, sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy it, you're in a great area, convenient for everything.

Hope you enjoy sorting it out to your taste. I agree on things getting worse but hopefully not much. If they drop much further the implication will be that all land in NI including prime areas of Belfast are effectively worthless given the cost of replacing a building in today's money

I'll be honest STF the logic of this escapes me.

HOLA4415

my home in bt9 with a sizeable garden has a rebuild cost of £250,000 valuing the land at £50,000.

there is no reason why property cant cost less than the rebuild cost and it has happened many time

supply vs demand / affordability / banks not lending etc / markets being oversold after a boom and bust etc

im sure this was the case in the 90s in many places before the property boom took over in most of the globe

bulgaria now where u can buy a house for £500. florida ? berlin where apartments were £500 a m2 in 2007. ireland now?

HOLA4416

Not saying it can't happen, just that it is a sign of value and the market potentially being oversold.

Working on the basis that we are not seeing a step change in living standards in the west, personally I live in hope that this is not the case and our economy will get back on an even keel at some point. If not we're all screwed and it doesn't matter so much anyway.

HOLA4417

Not saying it can't happen, just that it is a sign of value and the market potentially being oversold.

Working on the basis that we are not seeing a step change in living standards in the west, personally I live in hope that this is not the case and our economy will get back on an even keel at some point. If not we're all screwed and it doesn't matter so much anyway.

I'd like to see average build costs (excluding labour) say per square meter plotted in a way in which we can see how they compare. What I mean is, a house will be around for 100+ years and build cost will fluctuate during this period. We may feel that costs now will now be more than "market value" but how does this compare historically. What are historic builder's margins?

I don't think it's enough to say I'm buying house X today (which will be around for 100+ years) and it cost Y to build. Factors change, the £ has lost 35% of its value, labour costs have fallen but a house will still last 100+ years.

Is there a trend beyond inflation.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4418

update

fulstons - haha wife walked in and had a look round. lovely things including an unbelievable kitchen that your not allowed to take pictures of!!. prices far too expensive will not be buying anything.

bought 2 bedroom carpets in martin phillips and had the rest of the existing carpets cleaned professionally

sofa - plan to buy one we have seen in creations furniture

1 king bed bought in m+s this week (20% off sale)

other bed and mattresses we will probably buy from direct furniture who are very reasonable indeed

boiler service - power ni do it for for £49.50

looking for a tiler to do some tiling in kitchen and bathroom

also looking for a good locksmith to change existing locks and add some new ones

if anyone knows of anyone good and reasonable price in belfast area let me know

HOLA4419

update

fulstons - haha wife walked in and had a look round. lovely things including an unbelievable kitchen that your not allowed to take pictures of!!. prices far too expensive will not be buying anything.

bought 2 bedroom carpets in martin phillips and had the rest of the existing carpets cleaned professionally

other bed and mattresses we will probably buy from direct furniture who are very reasonable indeed

also looking for a good locksmith to change existing locks and add some new ones

By any chance is your new pad in *n**s***????

sounds very like somewhere we viewed

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

my home in bt9 with a sizeable garden has a rebuild cost of £250,000 valuing the land at £50,000.

If you see any sites coming up in BT9 for £50k let us know, but I won't be holding my breath.

You need to rethink your current (100 yr old?) pile of bricks valuation - a new pile of bricks on the same site will be worth much more.

HOLA4422

If you see any sites coming up in BT9 for £50k let us know, but I won't be holding my breath.

You need to rethink your current (100 yr old?) pile of bricks valuation - a new pile of bricks on the same site will be worth much more.

Perhaps more typical of asking prices for sites in BT9, but still overpriced no doubt.

http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Belfast/TRLTRL63277/Site-15-Osborne-Park/?utm_source=email-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=property-alerts

Edited by lolacarrascal

HOLA4423

update

update

beds and mattresses - were going to buy from m+s but opted for direct furniture on falls road. found them very very good. BOUGHT.

2 bedroom carpets in martin phillips. BOUGHT.

sofa - corner sofa in creations furniture. BOUGHT. having looked at john lewis / direct furniture / next / m+s / cfc furniture etc very happy with this sofa indeed. prices may seem slightly higher than elsewhere but i think there stuff is high quality and they tell truth upfront on lead times etc.

HOLA4424

not really sure what point you are making here?

i never made a claim you'll get a site for £50k in bt9.....

the point i was making is im happy in what i paid for my property because the reinstatement cost as estimated by valuer is only £50k approx less than the total i paid. one could say i paid 250 for the house and 50 for the land.....

• 2 months later...
HOLA4425

By any chance is your new pad in *n**s***????

sounds very like somewhere we viewed

thats the one

in the end we bought the furniture for our bedroom in ikea ( wardrobes ) and we got 70% off in the recent laura ashley sale for out bed and bedside tables etc

bedoom 2 - direct furniture on falls road (i believe they are closing down their kennedy centre shop with big reductions at mo)

sofa - creations furniture.