House Price Crash Forum

Sterling Athletic Performances

HOLA441

Just a bit of retro fun, what with it being Olympic year etc. Will the current crop of track and field athletes manage to reach some of the heights their predecessors attained?

The obvious candidates for gripping contests are the contests from the 70s and 80s, when world records tumbled etc, and I daresay some will be posted by others if the thread catches on.

To kick off, back in Seoul in 1988, Mark Rowland qualified for the final of the 3000m steeplechase, but was not expected to be a serious medal contender, given his relative lack of experience at the event and the fact that over half the field in the final had gone inside the then UK record(which was not set by Rowland). Rowland subsequently ran a time in that race which is still the UK record. I think the commentary is excellent too. Ms cheeznbreed tells me that the shorts on display are some of the worst she has ever seen to boot (1:00-2:00 for those that would like to comment..).

The race was run very quickly in the early and middle stages which no doubt helped Rowland's prospects, but a brilliant performance nevertheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sewXHxhv_-0

HOLA442

His 8.08 is a very good time and he ran his best ever race, but I think that they will have to run close to 8 minutes or under to get a medal in London.

It is usual a mental race nowadays, more or less flat out from the gun - there will be 3 Kenyans, 3 Ethiopians, plus the Kenyans now running for Arab countries like Qatar etc. who have been dishing passports out to anyone who can get them on the medals table. Maybe a Spaniard or Italian will make the final. Sadly, I don't think we will have any Brit running sub 8.20/ 8.25 - still awesome times but this is one event that the Africans take very seriously!

My favourite was LA 1984, Seb Coe wins 1500m for his second Olympics (Steve Cram won silver). Amazing feat to win gold in Moscow 1980 (plus silver in 800) then hold that form for 4 years and repeat it again.

HOLA443

Interesting thing about seb Coe was that surely his most awesome performance was that 800m record which stood for ages yet he never won the Olympic event at that distance.

Remember watching his runs against ovett as a kid. Fantastic to see those guys come off the bend to power their way through. Seb Coe was a truly amazing athlete.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I assume by sterling athletic performances we want to focus on British athletes only?

The Coe / Ovett era takes some beating obviously. I'm sure the Bannister / Chataway era was special too, but no mention of them in the Olympic medals.

Yes, the US athletes were not there, but Alan won gold in the 100 metres by God!, he won fair and square on the day (without starting blocks?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RR1stxSOCg

Zola Budd deserves a mention in dispatches for her bare-footed duel with Mary Decker in 1984.

Daley Thompson:

Then there's Steve Redgrave...

HOLA447

Daley Thompson would have finished 4th in the 1980 100m final! He was utter class. He run sub 47secs in the 400m which is incredible.

Wells' time of 10.25 would have barely made the final if the top athletes hadn't boycotted. But they did, and so I guess he won.

Daley was awesome. Somehow he's been under appreciated in my opinion.

Yes, Alan Wells' time was slow, but it was windy and wet I think. Anyone who wins a 100m final is special in my book.

HOLA448

I assume by sterling athletic performances we want to focus on British athletes only?

Not necessarily, although I chose one because often great performances are overlooked. Makes you wonder where the next batch of world class UK athletes are going to come from. Mo Farah looks like a great prospect.

No doubt the thread will develop in its own manner, enjoying the posts so far. Agree regarding Thomson, Rowland, Coe Ovett etc.

The 800m final in Moscow was a great get-out-of-jail performance by Ovett, he was boxed in but somehow muscled his way out. Can't find the full vid. Ovett has held international titles from 800m to 5000m, unbelievable.

Radcliffe has a rare longevity for a runner, this will be her 5th games. Here she is making mincemeat of the field in Manchester in 2002:

Will she hit top form in London this year after the disappointments in Athens and Beijing? The ladies marathon will be interesting, Mara Yamauchi is no mug, and may be an outside medal contender depending on what happens on the day. Have to suppose that if Radcliffe gets it right, she will be unbeatable. I'd love to see her get gold.

HOLA449

Well in that case:

Carl Lewis.

Although, sadly, I suspect his performances were "enhanced", still a beautiful athlete:

Then there's Michael Phelps. Swimming's a bit boring to post videos. He was damn lucky to win one of the dead-heats in his 8 gold medal haul in 2008, bloody hell!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Liz McColgan's finest moment in Tokyo 1991. The full video used to be on YouTube but now there's only a brief clip. The quality of the field she beat was top class and she ran them into the ground.

Are we including World Champs on this thread, or just Olympics?

The Olympics to me are special in that they only come round every 4 years. The World Athletics Champs is something they bought in on a 2 yearly basis in 1991, to bring in cash from the TV channels.

The Olympics are 'the' athletics medals which mean the most, I think it is the equivalent of soccer's world cup for the sport of track & field.

Paula Radcliffe haven't done it at the Olympics. Mo Farah has yet to do it at the Olympics.

Just checked : Liz got a silver in Seoul 1988, more valuable than a world gold?

HOLA4416

Are we including World Champs on this thread, or just Olympics?The Olympics to me are special in that they only come round every 4 years. The World Athletics Champs is something they bought in on a 2 yearly basis in 1991, to bring in cash from the TV channels.

The Olympics are 'the' athletics medals which mean the most, I think it is the equivalent of soccer's world cup for the sport of track & field.

Paula Radcliffe haven't done it at the Olympics. Mo Farah has yet to do it at the Olympics.

Just checked : Liz got a silver in Seoul 1988, more valuable than a world gold?

Anything you like I suppose.

Here's Yvonne Murray putting in a great performance in the 3000m in Seoul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EVm7PLpyps

She's obviously delighted at the end.

HOLA4417
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Then there was Jonathan Edwards, an athlete I recall spending years jumping sub 17 metres in the triple jump.

Then one day in the 1995 World championships in Gothenburg, it just "clicked", and he broke the world record twice in quick succession. No one has got close since AFAIK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFt9Yzp484c

HOLA4421

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Qc2E89i9E

They should make a fat people olympics. The cripples get their own variant, why not the fatties. They are a far more dominant demographic, are denied entry to not only the regular olympics, but also the paralympics. Plus, i find fat people doing incredible feats far more entertaining, and so, unlike the olympics, the fat-o-lympics, would probably make a profit.

HOLA4422
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

His 8.08 is a very good time and he ran his best ever race, but I think that they will have to run close to 8 minutes or under to get a medal in London.

It is usual a mental race nowadays, more or less flat out from the gun - there will be 3 Kenyans, 3 Ethiopians, plus the Kenyans now running for Arab countries like Qatar etc. who have been dishing passports out to anyone who can get them on the medals table. Maybe a Spaniard or Italian will make the final. Sadly, I don't think we will have any Brit running sub 8.20/ 8.25 - still awesome times but this is one event that the Africans take very seriously!

My favourite was LA 1984, Seb Coe wins 1500m for his second Olympics (Steve Cram won silver). Amazing feat to win gold in Moscow 1980 (plus silver in 800) then hold that form for 4 years and repeat it again.

London 2012 times:

1 Ezekiel Kemboi Kenya 8:18.56

2 Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad France 8:19.08

3 Abel Mutai Kenya 8:19.73

Seoul 1988:

1 Julius Kariuki (KEN) 8:05.51(OR)

2 Peter Koech (KEN) 8:06.79

3 Mark Rowland (GBR) 8:07.96

The London gold medal time would have been good enough for 10th in 1988.

Championship distance athletics seems to be going the way of class kickers like Farah rather than frontrunners like Ngugi/Panetta.

HOLA4425

London 2012 times:

Seoul 1988:

The London gold medal time would have been good enough for 10th in 1988.

Championship distance athletics seems to be going the way of class kickers like Farah rather than frontrunners like Ngugi/Panetta.

EPO

Obviously outside of cycling and Eastern Europe/Russia nobody takes or took drugs

Archived