House Price Crash Forum

The Ranting Bbc Angry Mob

i finally feel now i will own my own home, it just wont be in the uk. come to think of it that aint any great loss s it?

I earn about 3 or 4 times the average wage (Gross not Net) and I doubt very much i will be able to retire at a traditional retirement age and live in any comfort. Unless I give up the UK. Luckily my wife is Turkish, so I guess I will move to Turkey at 50 or 60 and live in a nice house with a pool and a small town nearby with cheap restaurants. (so basically at least 30 miles from anywhere a budget airline fly's to)

Land is cheap and they have this weird system where crimes get punished and scrounging does not. I think I could like it.

Edited by KingBingo
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate down the hill is renting his place. Its pretty crap 1 bed, 1 sejour+kitchen, bathroom. The landlord has offered him it for 15k. He refused. He reckons it's only worth 8k.

This could be a house in County Durham.

There are cheap houses - tons of them - in this country. Mostly oop north. And mostly surrounded by utter f*cking scum. Which I guess is a bit of a downer... but there are some nice cheap areas too.

I earn about 3 or 4 times the average wage (Gross not Net) and I doubt very much i will be able to retire at a traditional retirement age and live in any comfort. Unless I give up the UK. Luckily my wife is Turkish, so I guess I will move to Turkey at 50 or 60 and live in a nice house with a pool and a small town nearby with cheap restaurants. (so basically at least 30 miles from anywhere a budget airline fly's to)

Land is cheap and they have this weird system where crimes get punished and scrounging does not. I think I could like it.

sounds like a plan. i wonder who is going to pay all their pensions when we all bugger off lol. Anyone who dont own there own house allready in the uk would be crazy to join the pyramid scheme. It realy is all going to end badly, who had the bright idea we would all stick around and be slaves. ive spent a few years being a slave. no more for me.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32705716.html

Not to defend us, but Britain / the SE and the major conurbations are a different ball game.

:D That really is at the ends of the Earth though... ;)

You could snap this up for £20k and with £5k work make it a reasonable, if basic, home:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36504494.html

The area doesn't seem too bad either. Not Chipping Norton, but then not Tottenham either!!

sounds like a plan. i wonder who is going to pay all their pensions when we all bugger off lol. Anyone who dont own there own house allready in the uk would be crazy to join the pyramid scheme. It realy is all going to end badly, who had the bright idea we would all stick around and be slaves. ive spent a few years being a slave. no more for me.

+1. We're leaving end June and have already taken over £100K out of the country in anticipation. The rest will follow in due course :D

You could snap this up for £20k and with £5k work make it a reasonable, if basic, home:

The area doesn't seem too bad either. Not Chipping Norton, but then not Tottenham either!!

Hmm, a dumpy house in the freezing north of England surrounded by scots (probably) or a peaceful cottage with land in a national park, within one hour of Limoges and an airport and in warmer climes. It's quite a choice!

I still plan to buy a house. I'm only 31, so have time to pay it off and leave at the end.

And as for who will pay the pensions, the normal patsy's I guess. Those who actually work and pay their taxes. And while I don't doubt there will always be a state pension, I can't see it being something you could actually live on in a decade or two.

;) Aye... but RKH are drilling for whisky in the loch nearby.

Hmm, a dumpy house in the freezing north of England surrounded by scots (probably) or a peaceful cottage with land in a national park, within one hour of Limoges and an airport and in warmer climes. It's quite a choice!

We chose the Limoges area option a few years ago. Lucky enough to own a decent sized 50's house in small town with garden, double garage etc outright. Still working hard but key difference now is that we have money in bank for holidays, toys, emergencies and investments. Thoroughly recommend it - make the change and you'll never want to come back. Once you're out of the UK you can see it for the mad house it really is. A week's visit to England is the maximum tolerable now before I start getting stressed again like I used to...

We chose the Limoges area option a few years ago. Lucky enough to own a decent sized 50's house in small town with garden, double garage etc outright. Still working hard but key difference now is that we have money in bank for holidays, toys, emergencies and investments. Thoroughly recommend it - make the change and you'll never want to come back. Once you're out of the UK you can see it for the mad house it really is. A week's visit to England is the maximum tolerable now before I start getting stressed again like I used to...

i cant wait now to get the hell off this stinking rock. i realy hate the uk now, its a cesspit, yeah and i will bang the door on the way out. One day it might change, but ive wasted enough time waiting for it. im scottish and i hate the scots especially, they dont even have the balls mainly to put destiny in there own hands, and prefer to hold the begging bowl out to england while shouting braveheart, what a joke.

i think were at another juncture in british history where the populance leave like before. millions left for australia and america. those who are gonna stick it out shouldnt knock it, their lot will be vastly better as the demographics work in their favour. but for me ive had enough.

As regards the banking insurance idea: the reason it won't work, is that the premiums would have been so high, banking as we know it would be impossible.

Go back 10 years and do the math: what should the banks have been paying as premium on their CDS? Ans: so high there would have been no industry.

The alternative is also the inevitable: the banks go bust. Only small depositors get paid in full.

As regards the everyone leaving the country: the government will stop that, if it gets serious.

eg. charge CGT on houses. Make you get an exit visa. Limit the amount of money you can take. Make you pay a foreign lifestyle tax.

As regards the banking insurance idea: the reason it won't work, is that the premiums would have been so high, banking as we know it would be impossible.

Go back 10 years and do the math: what should the banks have been paying as premium on their CDS? Ans: so high there would have been no industry.

The alternative is also the inevitable: the banks go bust. Only small depositors get paid in full.

As regards the everyone leaving the country: the government will stop that, if it gets serious.

eg. charge CGT on houses. Make you get an exit visa. Limit the amount of money you can take. Make you pay a foreign lifestyle tax.

Bank insurance should cover depositor protection. So an insurer, with skin in the game, sets the premium according to the risk. As for everything else, well, you could take a view on what risks to insure, and insurers would then price that risk.

CDS - radical suggestion, they should be declared unenforceable. The insurance industry is regulated for good reasons, so how come shadow insurance ignoring that regulation is legal?

[1] and not to a one-size-fits-all amount: banks could set different levels for different types of account, which would also affect the premiums and be a factor in competing in the market. Cheap basic account protecting £10k, premium high-value account protecting £1m, average accounts somewhere between.

i cant wait now to get the hell off this stinking rock. i realy hate the uk now, its a cesspit, yeah and i will bang the door on the way out. One day it might change, but ive wasted enough time waiting for it. im scottish and i hate the scots especially, they dont even have the balls mainly to put destiny in there own hands, and prefer to hold the begging bowl out to england while shouting braveheart, what a joke.

i think were at another juncture in british history where the populance leave like before. millions left for australia and america. those who are gonna stick it out shouldnt knock it, their lot will be vastly better as the demographics work in their favour. but for me ive had enough.

+1 in many ways. Where are you thinking of moving to?

Visited close friends in the same region they left the UK around 7 years ago and took on a restaurant,its not been very successful and they have decided to sell up however asking them if they are returning to the UK they looked at me in horror said they would never come back and the main reason is they are frightened at the prospect.

Just out of interest are you a member of the actuarial profession, because if you are you will know that you are talking complete crap. If the premiums required to cover the bailout of any given bank was that astronomical then that is a reflection on the recklessness of bankers - and I think we can all agree that they have been very reckless indeed. The more risk bankers take the higher the insurance premiums they should pay, full stop. This is the very mechanism by which moral hazard is addressed. Simples. It is the very reason why careful drivers pay low premiums on their car insurance whereas reckless drivers pay high premiums.

Actuarial Science Lesson 101:

The probability of any event occuring is between 0 and 1 inclusive.

Actuarial Science Lesson 102:

If S represents the sum assured required by the insured and p represents the probability of the event occuring then the pure net premium the insurer should charge is S * p. To put it another way: the premium paid is only a fraction of the sum assured. That's why for example your own car insurance costs only a few hundred quid when your car costs many thousands - and you are reasonably happy with this arrangment, right? Right.

Applying these two lessons to our dear own fiat currency system:

If S represents the sum assured (the anticipated discounted net value of the bank's assets) and p represents the probability of those assets incurring a negative discounted net value, then the pure net premium the government insurance company should charge is S * p.

Let's says the average bank bailout during this crisis has been £10bn. Years before the crisis, when banking was mundane, the probability of the average bank requiring that £10bn bailout was say 0.001 (in practice actuaries review risk probabilities very diligently on a continuous basis) then in any given year the premium the average bank would have to pay is: £10bn * 0.001 = £10million.

However in the years immediately preceding the crisis, bankers were taking huge risks the probability of the average bank requiring that £10bn bailout rose to say 0.1. The premium the average bank would then have to pay would have been: £10bn * 0.1 = £1bn. That's an average of a billion premium coming in to my proposed government-run insurance company from each bank, in years preceding the crisis. You know what they say, a billion here, a billion there and soon your talking a tranche of quantitative easing - the banks themselves would have paid for, not we The Taxpayer. The fiat currency system means that banks aren't required to put aside sufficient reserves in case of requiring a bailout. The public knows this, it pisses them off but they don't have the words to express the problem - and that's how the bankers continue to flourish unfairly at the taxpayer's expense.

To put things into perspective the recent earnings of all the board members of Barclays including Bob Diamond was £47million each for one year. Most notoriously Dick Fuld of Lehman Brothers earned $500million before his bank went tits up - and look what that cost the global economy. Trillions wiped off world stock markets, millions losing their jobs, thousands of companies going bust.

Ladies and Gentleman, don't be fooled by anyone telling you that banks are special and that the insurance approach (that works for everyone else) would not work for them. It would: beautifully. The principles of modern insurance were founded two hundred years ago, during The Enlightment, on principles of fairness whereas banking wasn't. This is why bankers are infinitely more detested than insurance companies ever are. Sadly banking began two hundred years before insurance and by then the blindlingly obvious corrupt nature of fiat system had become entrenched.

Someone recently commented that while my idea is a good one, it could not be applied now that the banks are bankrupt. The banks may well be bankrupt, but the bonus pool in London last year was a breathtaking £7billion. Is it right that bankers should receive these payments when they haven't paid for the insurance cover they expect from the tax payer? Of course not.

Bankers have a vested interest in perpetuating the myth that banks are, by divine right, above the economic laws that everyone else is subject to. This must end. I hope dear reader I have pulled the wool from your eyes and shown you the light.

Magna Carta, now!

No indemnification without consideration!

Edited by nmarks

i intend to be just like a pole/romanian ect

im gonna work here living cheap as i can for 6 months a year, then im gonna take all my money and unpaid taxes to a country i can live well, in my own house for the next 6 months.

im too old now at 42 to start the housing ladder in the uk, but for less than a uk deposit i can get me a nice country cottage in near every country of my choice in europe. i dont want to be rushing to work through the traffic at 62 to pay the mortgage, i want to be drinking my own wine in the sun on my patio.

uk you can stick it

This is what I do. I realised a while back that there was no hope of getting my own house and land in the UK so I decided to exploit the price differentials as you describe. (Although here in Hungary I can only sit outside from March to October. If I wasn't here for personal reasons I would have chosen somewhere further south).

+1 in many ways. Where are you thinking of moving to?

france or spain or perhaps germany. bulgaria perhaps.

it will be good for the soul. just been looking at rightmove for my area.

the cheapest plot of land with planning is 60k

cheapest house is ex authority nasty nasty concrete sectional flat at 110k

this in a holiday place on the west coast, most jobs are seasonal holiday type. its been a very long time since a local man could buy his own home here, its like cornwall and devon in the highlands. all the houses going for massive money to retiree teachers and nhs staff ect who sold houses in the south. now prices here are near as expensive as london yet the wages are retail type jobs ect.

prices would need to drop to 30% of what they are now, about same price they were 12 years ago, or wages need to start being about 900 week for a shop job. and lets face it this aint going to happen. we are all truly stuffed, its the new highland clearances.

thanks all you lifestyle buyers for pricing the locals out, you did a great job. i will at the same time continue to work to pay your pensions till i drop, at the same time begging you to live in your granny flat while you take the rest of my money off me.

well ****** off i aint doing it anymore.

this in a holiday place on the west coast, most jobs are seasonal holiday type. its been a very long time since a local man could buy his own home here, its like cornwall and devon in the highlands. all the houses going for massive money to retiree teachers and nhs staff ect who sold houses in the south. now prices here are near as expensive as london yet the wages are retail type jobs ect.

prices would need to drop to 30% of what they are now, about same price they were 12 years ago, or wages need to start being about 900 week for a shop job. and lets face it this aint going to happen. we are all truly stuffed, its the new highland clearances.

thanks all you lifestyle buyers for pricing the locals out, you did a great job. i will at the same time continue to work to pay your pensions till i drop, at the same time begging you to live in your granny flat while you take the rest of my money off me.

Ahh the Irony

By creating an insurance company to insure banks in return for a premium you solve all three at a stroke.

Here, ladies and gentleman, is your Magna Carta for the 21st Century: No insurance without insurance premiums.

Um, isn't the more general application of this to scrap all the existing limited liability laws afforded to all PLCs? That will force every business, whether a bank or building society or credit union or bookmaker, to purchase limited liability insurance or risk personal ruin in the event of poor risk mitigation.

It's a reasonable point though, the traditional insurance business (life, auto, housing, shipping etc) has mostly come through the crisis in good shape, it's only where they strayed into insuring bonds or investing life funds in CDOs that they've come unstuck.

Insurance companies are required by law to stick a certain proportion of their gross written premiums into AAA-rated securites (which basically means government bonds for the most part. What a magnificently coercive con by governments!). Near-as-dammit every insurance company I can think of has been crucified by the market for fear of a sovereign debt meltdown. That's why you can pick up an 8% yield on RSA shares, for example.

It also doesn't help that their annual accounts are more inscrutable than the semaphore performance of the Sanskrit translation of Joyce's "Ulysses", although I accept that the insurance business model mandates this complexity to a large extent.

The reason the insurance companies haven't been bailed out is because not all financial services companies are equal. The insurance companies business is predicated on effective risk management and they were managed better. The banks employed bozos like Goodwin, Crosby and Hornby as their chief executives to run the show - bozos without as much as a clue about the banking industry let alone any formal qualifications for the position.

Edited by THEBIGMAN

CDS - radical suggestion, they should be declared unenforceable. The insurance industry is regulated for good reasons, so how come shadow insurance ignoring that regulation is legal?

That's the kind of talk that could get you invited out for a walk in the woods by a couple of strange-looking yet well-tailored individuals who would like to talk to you about your Ba'hai faith

Um, isn't the more general application of this to scrap all the existing limited liability laws afforded to all PLCs?

Not sure I understand the question. If you mean 'inevitable consequence' instead of 'general application' then my reply is 'why?'

That will force every business, whether a bank or building society or credit union or bookmaker, to purchase limited liability insurance or risk personal ruin in the event of poor risk mitigation.

They do that in reality anyway, to mitigate the financial impact of an unintended event. As banks lean on the taxpayer for insurance payouts when they go pop its only fair they pay a premium to the taxpayer in advance reflecting the risk they pose.

Insurance companies are required by law to stick a certain proportion of their gross written premiums into AAA-rated securites (which basically means government bonds for the most part. What a magnificently coercive con by governments!).

I don't think the legislation is that explicit. All that insurance companies are required to do is demonstrate they have sufficient reserves meet obligations as they arise, and have sufficient reserves to weather financial storms. For sure, insurance companies do invest in gilts, but only because of the certainty they offer rather than out of explicit coercion by legislation. Insurance companies can invest in whatever they want provided it's legal and leaves the company in an appropriately sound financial position. Gilts often serve that purpose well.

Near-as-dammit every insurance company I can think of has been crucified by the market for fear of a sovereign debt meltdown. That's why you can pick up an 8% yield on RSA shares, for example.

And the fact they have not needed bailing out is testimony to the actuarial profession, n'est pas?

It also doesn't help that their annual accounts are more inscrutable than the semaphore performance of the Sanskrit translation of Joyce's "Ulysses", although I accept that the insurance business model mandates this complexity to a large extent.

For sure insurance company accounts are complex, but their activities are in the public domain unlike, say, the Bank of England or the Federal Reserve who drew a curtain over their activities when bailing out the banks.

The reason the insurance companies haven't been bailed out is because not all financial services companies are equal. The insurance companies business is predicated on effective risk management and they were managed better. The banks employed bozos like Goodwin, Crosby and Hornby as their chief executives to run the show - bozos without as much as a clue about the banking industry let alone any formal qualifications for the position.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Edited by nmarks

to be honest they both seem a bunch of assholes and the sooner i get away from this country the better.

i intend to be just like a pole/romanian ect

im gonna work here living cheap as i can for 6 months a year, then im gonna take all my money and unpaid taxes to a country i can live well, in my own house for the next 6 months.

im too old now at 42 to start the housing ladder in the uk, but for less than a uk deposit i can get me a nice country cottage in near every country of my choice in europe. i dont want to be rushing to work through the traffic at 62 to pay the mortgage, i want to be drinking my own wine in the sun on my patio.

uk you can stick it

take from others?

ive never signed on the dole for so much as a day in my life, ive been self employed for 20 years, sometimes not earning much. but i never signed on. im not asking anyone to look after me, i will take out insurance for medical care, and as expected of most people without a index linked pension i will work till i drop. i just wont be working to pay others to retire at 55. these people have never giving me anything and im tired of paying their bills.

****** em,

My link

for 18k in france

so its servitude to the banks and councils, or its an outright one off purchase and sunshine and relaxation. we realy are mentally ill in this country paying 200k for the same, no wonder you all call it a slavebox. it realy is that.

i finally feel now i will own my own home, it just wont be in the uk. come to think of it that aint any great loss s it?

Oh man I've just read your posts and how much I agree with everything you have said. This country has ****ed me too. 22 years and still waiting for council housing and could never afford to buy as, yes you guessed it, I'm a single male. We pay the most in taxes and get **** all back slogging our guts out, and are forced to watch as the goalposts got kicked ever further away. And Thatchers poll tax while I was homeless and the council chasing me for payment, couldn't give a s**t that I was homeless and had no job, they wanted the money and never offered or gave me help in finding somewhere to live.

I'm going to do what all the greedy sods have been doing for years, take as much as I can get out of this place then sod off abroad. I couldn't give a damn whether this country goes downhill, the selfishness of the boomers, rich elite and government etc have brought this on the UK, it's obviously what they wanted to happen so why should I feel bad. I feel angry more than sad that these people are driving there own country folk out of UK for their own selfish greed. I hope it all comes back and bites them hard on the ****.

I've been abroad several times to very poor countries and have given lots of my time helping others less fortunate for no cost, but no more for the greedy lazy fat cat employers here. No monetary value can replace the joy and happyness you feel when you help someone less fortunate than yourself, but this cheeky government now expect me to do "my bit" over here, **** you, get those greedy rich b/stards to put their hand in their pocket and stop pandering to them. "We're all in this together" yeah right.

How about getting some houses built for the 6 million on the waiting list? Oh we're broke (and the home owning majority don't want it as they don't want to lose their unearned wealth) which basically equates to "sod the country and the economy, as long as the selfish are ok". Hang on though, there's plenty in the tax pot for upping the overseas aid in more ways than one. Ops hang on, the elites want a good opening and closing ceremony for the olympics, how many millions? yep tax payer can foot that one too. About time we had a new train line too don't you think, yep there's some in the pot for that too. I thought the pot was empty! How about these houses for all the people priced out, you know the ones living in cramped conditions etc. Maybe if they had a bit more/their own space, some of them might start up their own business's from home and actually help put some money back into the economy! Oh hang on, they did offer to help with FTB mortgages, but we all saw they were trying to offset the boomer debt to the young instead of doing the decent thing and slashing house prices to affordable levels.

Selfish, greedy and corrupt. They've been found out but they still persist on the same line with the same old clap trap.

I'm with you homeless, sod this ****ing country, I hope the bust is massive!