House Price Crash Forum

Yet Another Supermarket Scam

pl1

I don't think this one has been mentioned, nearly fell for it today. Basically putting full price items sandwiched inbetween two similar but different items with half price tickets. I can see how people in a hurry would fall for it. Big HALF PRICE tickets were emblazoned on the shelf-freezer top but careful inspection revealed it was for the two similar items either side of the one I wanted, & the one I wanted was full price.

As always, a couple of seconds of careful looking will save a bit of £'s at the till.

I don't think this one has been mentioned, nearly fell for it today. Basically putting full price items sandwiched inbetween two similar but different items with half price tickets. I can see how people in a hurry would fall for it. Big HALF PRICE tickets were emblazoned on the shelf-freezer top but careful inspection revealed it was for the two similar items either side of the one I wanted, & the one I wanted was full price.

As always, a couple of seconds of careful looking will save a bit of £'s at the till.

Lots of variants on that one.

One such example: if you shop at Morrisons, take a look at their long-term "4 for £5.50" beer&cider promotion. Then check what bottles are eligible. Sometimes bottles that aren't creep into the middle, with no way of telling they're not in the offer until you see the bill.

I've been 'done' a number of times by a well know supermarket delivery.

You buy a 2 for 1 offer/reduction, but then they only send one, with the other substituted for a more expensive item.

For example.

Order : 2 tubes of toothpaste for £3

Get : 1 tube @ 2.49, then a different size/brand for £3.

If you complain, they refund, but it's definitely a set-up.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I suspect it is just down to the incompetence of the individual store manager rather than a deliberate scam.

The only reasons I have for saying this are:

1) It is not in the interest of the supermarkets to irritate their customers

2) I believe most special offers are funded by the suppliers rather than the supermarkets (not entirely through choice I expect), so the supermarket's margin is probably not much different if you buy the item on offer or at the regular price.

If I noticed this regularly at a local store (and it annoyed me) I might boycott that store but probably not the entire chain.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I suspect it is just down to the incompetence of the individual store manager rather than a deliberate scam.

2) I believe most special offers are funded by the suppliers rather than the supermarkets (not entirely through choice I expect), so the supermarket's margin is probably not much different if you buy the item on offer or at the regular price.

If I noticed this regularly at a local store (and it annoyed me) I might boycott that store but probably not the entire chain.

In some cases, suppliers too might come under suspicion (and as for a boycott, that only works if you have choice, which is most likely if you live in town).

You’re at the supermarket. You get to the checkout, and pay. You look at your bill and find you’ve been overcharged, by some trivial amount. Do you let it pass, or stand on a point of principle?

Related questions: do you take advantage of regular offers, such as buy several of something and get a discount? Do you buy some items purely on price, because you don’t see the difference between different brands? If you answered yes to either of those, you need to stand on principle when the discrepancy at the checkout wipes out your saving.

Today it was beer. I only occasionally buy beer to drink at home, but when I do, I usually go for a four bottles for a fiver offer. That gives me mix-and-match from a good selection of premium ales. But they must be the $1.49 bottles: don’t get caught out by similar beers at other prices, whether higher or indeed lower. I carefully selected four bottles at £1.49: three that I know and like, and one unknown.

Checking my till receipt, there was no reduction for the offer. Checking more carefully, one of the bottles was shown as £1.59, invalidating the whole thing. So I’ve overpaid by a trivial £1.06. But more critically, there goes my offer, and my whole incentive to buy participating brands. Bah, Humbug.

Being something of an obstreperous fool (and seeing no queue there), I marched up to customer services and complained. The lady accompanied me to the beer shelf with my receipt, and we verified that the beer in question was indeed marked at £1.49. As was everything else on the same shelf for some way around, including one of the other bottles I’d picked up. The lady spent some time determining that the labelling was indeed wrong, and agreed to refund me the difference. But no sign of relabelling it so as not to catch out other shoppers: she removed the wrong label, leaving it surrounded by other £1.49 labels.

I think this is actually happening quite a lot. The only part of the bill I’d notice it on are those where I’ve taken advantage of a multibuy or similar offer, or bought purely on price, and that’s by no means unusual (last time it was tinned tomatos, which I’d selected on price). Trivial amounts, but they add up, and if lots of shoppers do the same, it could materially affect the producers of competing products.

What happens when someone from Trading Standards gets the same? Or are they off-duty when shopping, and can’t be arsed to do or say anything?

I use to work at a supermarket, 98% of the time billing errors were down to the customer being too lazy or stupid to check which products were in the offer.1% customers putting non-product offers in the offer section.the other1% ,shop error.

I use to work at a supermarket, 98% of the time billing errors were down to the customer being too lazy or stupid to check which products were in the offer.1% customers putting non-product offers in the offer section.the other1% ,shop error.

I expect I'm "too stupid" on occasion.

Funny thing is, when it's not clear to me, I'll ask a member of shop staff. Invariably it's not clear to them, either!

I had a long saga with my local countryside supermarket. Basically, they got my bill wrong about 20 times in a row.

Since I added it up in my head (and only bought a few items at a time), they got caught 20 times in a row.

Main cause of error:

Half price offers not programmed into till.

Second cause of error:

Reductions not put over original barcode, and not noticed.

OTTOMH I'd say that's less iniquitous. At least with delivery, getting your money back doesn't have to involve queueing at customer services when time is limited and you urgently need to be elsewhere :o

Dunno - when you have to pay for delivery, and have ordered heavy items which you didn't want to walk home with, them being substituted or not delivered is the sort of thing where you might rather say 'tell me when you can deliver this, don't deliver some other random crap'. WTB that option :)

In my local supermarket the discounted stuff is often not so deeply discounted. I presume this is because there's more demand (sometimes crowds around the discounted chilled section).

Some supermarkets though seem to be poor at estimating demand. One local one always has stacks of discounted bread on a Sunday. Someone should really tell the baker to bake less bread!

Main cause of error:

Half price offers not programmed into till.

That happened to me buying milk in Tesco. When I pointed it out to the cashier she said "Yeah, it's been doing that all day".....

I think shops should be on the hook for consequential losses in these circumstances. I did actually get a £20 voucher out of Argos once for having to return a drill the spec of which did not match the catalogue description in quite a fundamental way.

That's crap - I did too.

There's many a time you'd see a TV or something disbanded from someone's trolley and placed in an empty shelf that's waiting for a delivery of value cola. If someone really really wanted to take the piss then they'd get it for the displayed price (especially seeing as the cola racks had price only crate holders and didn't specify products).

Supermarkets cannot take on enough staff to remain legal if people seriously pulled them up on things like this and made a scene of it and/or took it to court.

It's inventive thinking like that that is sadly lacking from today's generation. Removing your child's ability to remain bipedal is a small price pay in this case.

Going to get him a couple of leaf springs like Pistorius. He'll thank me for it, by the time the 2032 Paralympics come round.

Get higher rate DLA too for a free car, its win, win, win. Trying to work out how I can maim the wife to claim more money but not go too far soshe can still look after the kids. Not easy, I tell you.

WALLET SCAM WARNING! In ASDA, whilst packing shopping into the car, you may be approached by 2 very fit and dirty 18 year old Eastern European girls in tight, tiny tops. They wash your screen with their breasts up against the window and ask for a lift to the next ASDA as payment. On the way they will strip down and perform oral sex on each other. One will then climb into the front and suck you off while the other attempts to steal your wallet! I had mine stolen last Thursday Friday, Saturday, Twice on Sunday and once again today so BE CAREFUL!

WALLET SCAM WARNING! In ASDA, whilst packing shopping into the car, you may be approached by 2 very fit and dirty 18 year old Eastern European girls in tight, tiny tops. They wash your screen with their breasts up against the window and ask for a lift to the next ASDA as payment. On the way they will strip down and perform oral sex on each other. One will then climb into the front and suck you off while the other attempts to steal your wallet! I had mine stolen last Thursday Friday, Saturday, Twice on Sunday and once again today so BE CAREFUL!

If it happened six times, I don't think you will ever learn by now....

Disagree. It is too prevalent. It is only worthwhile not irritating your customers if there is reasonable competition. The normal reaction of people is to blame themselves for having been conned, exclaim "oh those supermarkets are b$%^ards," and do their shopping their next week.

Disagree. It is too prevalent. It is only worthwhile not irritating your customers if there is reasonable competition. The normal reaction of people is to blame themselves for having been conned, exclaim "oh those supermarkets are b$%^ards," and do their shopping their next week.

These theypes of 'deals' are everywehere at the minute. I've noticed them on the booze aisles at Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons. They have deals like '3 for £4', '4 for £5' and '2 for £3.50' all mixed in with each other. I find it more annoying than anything, but I can see how people would become easily confused and make a mistake when in a rush or not really paying attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived