House Price Crash Forum

It's Instant Coffee Is Tht Alright?

pl1

The number of times lately when I've gone to a bakery like Greggs or a local one and asked for a coffee and they say "Is instant ok?". I can have one of those at home! Yesterday when asking for a filter coffee this annoying line was said and suffixed with "the sausage rolls aren't heated, is that alright?"

I know times are tough but if I hear this I ain't buying!

That's a major cultural difference between the UK and Germany.

I'm happy enough with instant coffee, but hardly anyone drinks it in Germany - they consider it for use in emergencies only. Almost everyone has a coffee machine, and people expect filter coffee when they visit someone else's house. The idea of a commercial establishment serving instant coffee would be simply unbelievable to your average German.

I quite like some instants. You have to appreciate it's a different drink altogether to filter coffee and if you go in with that relaxed frame of mind, you won't be so disappointed. Probably not relaxed before your caffeine fix, are you though? I've just realised I normally drink instant as a top-up mid morning after my super deluxe filter espresso first thing. There's no ritual * with instant, which only increases its naffness. Oh, use hot milk.

I'd never pay for it though. Well, I'd pay for the jar at the supermarket, I'm not some passed-it celeb chef.

* I was looking for a scene of Carter (Michael Caine) making coffee (forget which film), but found this instead:

I have lived in the 'Third World' for the past 11-years and can't remember having instant coffee at any time.

Society is really collapsing in Blighty it seems... :(

On average, third world coffee farmers receive a paltry 10 per cent of the eventual retail price apparently.

Dialog desc-53c7322d9738486f02b298d11d09f6ea.gif (Jules, Vincent and Jimmie are drinking coffee in Jimmie's kitchen) Jules: "Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet shit! Me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice, but he springs this serious GOURMET shit on us! What flavor is this? Jimmy: "Knock it off, Julie." Jules: "What?" Jimmy: "I don't need you to tell me how ******in' good my coffee is, ok? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It ain't the coffee in my kitchen. It's the dead ****** in my garage

I have lived in the 'Third World' for the past 11-years and can't remember having instant coffee at any time.

Society is really collapsing in Blighty it seems... :(

I would say decent coffee has only come into play in the last 30 years or so in the UK.

Late pre early 80s filter coffee was thought of as exotic, and it would not be at all unusual to be served instant in a cafe.

The big kick off in decent coffee places (starbucks, costa) didn't happen til the 90's IIRC.

Whatever.

Coffeee just isn't part of the culture in the UK like it is elsewhere. We're tea drinkers, really.

Is that why so many people put a Tesco Value teabag in a mug with some milk and sugar and then add hot water?

I was looking for a scene of Carter (Michael Caine) making coffee (forget which film), but found this instead

Late pre early 80s filter coffee was thought of as exotic, and it would not be at all unusual to be served instant in a cafe.

Espresso Soho: coffee bars in the fifties

The nineteen-fifties witnessed a renaissance in coffee drinking, as a result of the startling rise in popularity of the espresso bar. Beginning initially in cosmopolitan Soho , the fashion for espresso bars spread throughout London and soon reached the larger cities and towns of Britain

Inevitably, the novelty of the coffee bar experience began to wear thin, as old and unoriginal interior design ideas were recycled and as the principal clientele grew up and found other forms of drinking, dining and entertainment. Coffee had become massively popular as a beverage, but many people were starting to brew it at home, buying the beans or ground coffee direct from suppliers

LINK

MacDonalds is surprisingly good for coffee and better tasting and cheaper than most of the popular Coffee chains. Every 8th coffee is free with their loyalty card scheme.

+1

I tried their coffee for the first time recently, and was impressed. I think it's around £1.25 for one. It's the same price as KFC, who do an identical coffee.

MacDonalds is surprisingly good for coffee and better tasting and cheaper than most of the popular Coffee chains. Every 8th coffee is free with their loyalty card scheme.

+1

I tried their coffee for the first time recently, and was impressed. I think it's around £1.25 for one. It's the same price as KFC, who do an identical coffee.

Credit where it's due they do an excellent coffee and if I'm on the road and want a coffee I look for the M sign.

Wouldn't eat there from choice tho, I don't rate burgers in a bun.

Is that why so many people put a Tesco Value teabag in a mug with some milk and sugar and then add hot water?

Yes, that's exactly why. Although I wouldn't be surprised to find that tesco value teabags have an exceptionally low market share of the 70 million cups drunk per day in the UK.

I love both tea and coffee....tea is always the first drink of the day......a good instant is acceptable when time is short....the best is fresh....fresh coffee that has already been ground should be used as soon as possible, the grind size varies depending on the way the coffee is made...I prefer and always use the espresso pot type that goes onto the cooker ring, the water in the bottom bubbles up, after about five minutes you will hear a pock, pock sound the heat then must be switched off to avoid burning the coffee and to allow all the remaining water to filter through the medium ground coffee into the top container, hot and ready for use.....once it is ready you can either have a strong black espresso or you can add extra hot water to thin it out or water and a dash of milk, alternatively you can warm some milk and have a thick creamy coffee......all coffee can be frozen and if already ground be used straight out of the freezer, where it will flow freely and can be used like fresh. ;)

Archived