House Price Crash Forum

Sale

HOLA441
HOLA442

The region listed as just Sale, around the Sale town center, are good. Theres good schools and links into Manchester. It gets a bit dodgy further away. The area on the other side of Washway Road, Sale West, goes downhill very quickly.

Further out from Manchester along the road/tramway/canal, theres Brooklands, Timperley and Altrincham. Altrincham is more expensive still, but Brooklands and Timperley are similar prices. You can't go wrong there with lots of 1930s 3 bed semis. Theres quite a few people on the forum from this area.

HOLA443

Grew up in Sale (firstly Sale Moor, then moving to the Wardle Road area near the Little B pub when I was 11). Parents still around there now so I know it well. In general, Sale is a good area, but the definition of "Sale" is so wide, it is hard to be specific - it extends right from areas around The Avenue, touching the race course estate, through to edge of Ashton on Mersey, Sale Moor border is hard to define, and Wythenshawe / Brooklands Road. Just within these few descriptions, I have gone from £1M+ properties, through to council bedsit land... I suggest narrowing your search down and re-posting... 80-90% of where I have described is fairly reasonable though, although on a Friday / Saturday night all bets are off, and you / your property has a VERY small chance of finding trouble. My parents went through a spate of having their car side mirror kicked off by drunks (this is on a desirable road - house probably costs upwards of £380k) - they always park it up the drive now

HOLA444

Sale is the very definition of 3 bed semi land. Welcome to suburbia - knock yourself out.

(or sharpen up your criteria - transport links, school catchments, nightlife, shopping experience, pre-war/post-war, etc etc. For a man looking to spend a few hundred Ks you don't seem to have given it a great deal of thought if your op is anything to go by).

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Suburbia sounds alright. Decent links to the city and motorways.

Give me the equally priced alternatives then redknight.

Listen to monks, he pretty much hits the nail on the head. Sale (inc. the closer parts of Brooklands) is very mixed, some of it as expensive as Hale (The Avenue, Moss Lane, etc.), some of it pretty cheap, and for good reason (Manor Estate, worst bits of Sale Moor.) I'm not a fan of Sale town centre, but it does the job for basic shopping needs. Schools can be very good, but be very careful on location, as literally a few yards can end up putting you outside the right catchment area. Easy access to Manchester city centre, or off in the other direction for the Southern heading motorways + airport. Last couple of times I've worked on contracts in the NW, it's been surprising how many folks had based themselves (and families) long-term in Sale; and been happy with their choice. As I say, get the right area, and it has a lot to offer.

Alty and Timperley are similar alternatives (Timperley being much smaller and generally better, but quieter, IMHO, than much of Sale.) Again, depending on budget, parts of Hale/Hale Barns/Bowden. As monks said, you can go from 100k to £1 million in Sale, and depending upon where you are in that price range you could choose literally anywhere in South Manchester. In the sub £300k bracket, though, I think Sale offers some pretty decent choices; that kind of cash wouldn't go very far in some of the other places mentioned.

Nomadd

HOLA448

I lived in Sale at one point and have spent a good amount of time there since. Would agree with the other comments, but whether the place is right for you depends on your priorities of course and you haven't said much.

I see it as ok suburbia for someone with a middle-of-the-road budget (i.e. can step above the likes of wythenshawe but not afford pricier bits of Alty/Hale), prob with kids, tram into town, pretty good m/w access, decent schools around. Has a perfectly good leisure centre, few sports clubs etc. Couple of ok pubs and restaurants. Decent sized tesco, sains and M&S food.

Downsides - some areas are rougher and this shows in the town centre; most of the town centre is a depressing 60s hole filled with pensioners or the out of work, despite the revamp of the arcade a few years ago and the emergence of the odd good place to eat. Walk through the town centre and you wouldn't think you're in a remotely affluent area. Walk down some of the smarter (& still v pricey) residential streets and you'd get a completely different picture.

If I was looking at Manchester suburbs and was single/in a couple then I'd look at Disbury/Chorlton. If a family then Hale > better parts of Alty > Timperley > better parts of Sale - in that order. Timperley is 'bland suburbia' but feels a less rundown to me than parts of Sale.

Re-reading that, I probably come across as more negative than Sale deserves - it comes from looking at houses/areas for too long and becoming very critical. I head that way for work every now and then but now live 30mins south of there.

PS I also lived on Wardle Road for a time.

HOLA449

Suburbia sounds alright. Decent links to the city and motorways.

Give me the equally priced alternatives then redknight.

South Manc?

I'd head over to Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme (more family oriented).

I don't 'get' Didsbury/Chorlton, but everyone's priorities are different. You haven't elaborated on yours so it's impossible to be more constructive. From the way you write I'd guess 20s, no kids, soon to be relocating to Mcr, so families/schools don't appear to be on your agenda, otherwise that would be way up your priority list.

HOLA4410

Thanks to you all for the great advice. much appreciated.

South Manc?

I'd head over to Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme (more family oriented).

I don't 'get' Didsbury/Chorlton, but everyone's priorities are different. You haven't elaborated on yours so it's impossible to be more constructive. From the way you write I'd guess 20s, no kids, soon to be relocating to Mcr, so families/schools don't appear to be on your agenda, otherwise that would be way up your priority list.

Basically been in Manchester around the city centre / victoria park / fallowfield for 7 years.

Thought of buying in Chorlton / Didsbury but to be honest still see them as a bit scally. Also hear from a colleague that Chorlton is rife with burgalries.

Want to get out of the M60 madness to somewhere a bit quieter but still with close links to the city centre (hence Sale and the metro).

Misses doesnt like driving too far and needs to get into Trafford for work fairly easily.

Mid 30s, no kids yet but want to buy a house to last 10 years and expect kids to be in primary school over the next decade or so. So need to buy in an area for a good primary and perhaps secondary school.

Budget - Approx £250k. Looking for a 3 bed victorian with something of a back garden. Not interested in a new-build.

Currently looked around the block that Walton Road runs down (from Marsland Road to Park Road). Told this was a decent part.

Am open to other suggestions.

Cheers.

Edited by ringledman

HOLA4411

Given the extra info you've provided, in your shoes I'd look at Bramhall and Cheadle over Sale/Timp. You've basically outgrown what Didsbury/Chorlton have to offer, Sale/Timp are bland/depressing (just my opinion of course), and Bramhall/Cheadle have a bit more going for them, you've no tram but get the train into Pic.

HOLA4412

Given the extra info you've provided, in your shoes I'd look at Bramhall and Cheadle over Sale/Timp. You've basically outgrown what Didsbury/Chorlton have to offer, Sale/Timp are bland/depressing (just my opinion of course), and Bramhall/Cheadle have a bit more going for them, you've no tram but get the train into Pic.

We appear to share similar views. I also find Sale/Timp bland/depressing.

Your criteria (Ringledman) seem to be similar to Seeyounexttuesday and he must know this market inside out and upside down by now, poor fella.

Fewer (but some) Victorian (more in places like Edgeley as you get closer to Stockport, but not so 'desirable' perhaps depending on your personal tastes), but quite a lot of decent pre and post war 3 and 4 beds in your price range within walking distance to good primary and reasonable secondary, walking distance to Bramhall and Cheadle Hulme stations, busy 'village' atmosphere with decent local shops and 2 mins drive to Handforth Dean for Tesco/Sainsburys/M&S/John Lewis. Good m'way access and on a few minutes from open countryside going out towards the Peak district, Woodford and Macclefield. On the Wilmslow intercity line to London if needs be.

I'd get over there for a wander on foot to get a feel for it. It may depend in the end which 'side' of South Manc you want to be on. Washway road is a nightmare and I'd slit my wrists if I had to commute up and down that on a regular basis.

Here's a few examples:- Good solid 60s/70s 3 beds around Ashley drive

http://www.rightmove...#?thumbnailId=1

or improved 70s by the bucket load

http://www.rightmove...y-32805718.html

A few Victorian terraces/end terraces = This one says 2/3. Might not suit 2 kids but looks quite nice and in a good location.

http://www.rightmove...y-30851644.html

Edit: Found this one which looks to be more your exact spec. It's in an excellent position but more expensive with a £325k asking price. Presumably to justify all the money they've spent doing it up. Anyway, gives you an idea perhaps.

http://www.rightmove...y-35127149.html

and this which looks to be adjoining or very close to the one above. £310k asking but appears to be less 'blinged' up.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29987650.html

They're c 20% asking above your stated budget but you never know..........if not suitable then you can cross that area off your wish list.

Edited by Red Knight

HOLA4413

he must know this market inside out and upside down by now, poor fella.

Actually, I don't. Only focusing on a tiny patch of the market. Sale has never really interested me, Timperley I've half heartedly looked at. You've tried to point me in the direction of Bramhall and Cheadle in the past but if I had the money to spend on those houses you've listed, I'm sure I could find a house on the hale side of Alty that would meet my lifestyle "needs" if not all my material property needs. Not that i think that would be any better "value" than a SK address. I can face it, I don't have enough money to buy a house where I would like. 250k is, for various reasons, the top of my budget. Genuinely cast adrift as to what to do next but this is ringled's thread not mine.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30658204.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21158298.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29987932.html

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

HOLA4414

I'd probably also look at the type of houses mentioned above round Grove lane etc if that's what you get for 250k. I'd prefer to be in reach of Hale centre. Hale train, Alty centre and Alty tram than any of the other Sale/Timp options personally. Unless the extra 10 mins tram time into town matters.

I'm looking further out as we want something a little more rural/with outdoor space. Dunham Town would be ideal but it's all NT bar one house one at 1.1million..

HOLA4415

I'd probably also look at the type of houses mentioned above round Grove lane etc if that's what you get for 250k. I'd prefer to be in reach of Hale centre. Hale train, Alty centre and Alty tram than any of the other Sale/Timp options personally. Unless the extra 10 mins tram time into town matters.

I'm looking further out as we want something a little more rural/with outdoor space. Dunham Town would be ideal but it's all NT bar one house one at 1.1million..

Knutsford?

I think it's probably wise to stay within a reasonable walking distance of a train (or tram) station. Not just for commuting but for 'future proofing'. One doesn't know just yet how the oil price/car thing will play out.

Being a car journey away from train stations and also other public amenties such as supermarkets, healthcare etc etc might not look such a good bet in a few years. Of course we may transition to electric or hydrogen or other vehicles without skipping a beat in which case it won't matter, but buying any time in the foreseable that would be high on my list of priorities just in case.

This 'risk' is very noticeable (to me) when I visit friends who don't have these facilities on their door step. It doesn't seem to occur to them that they may not always have or be able to afford to run a car as cheaply as now when it takes them 20 minutes to reach a supermarket or 10 minutes drive to the nearest train station. I wonder how they would cope if circumstances changed and who might buy their (expensive) houses off them.

HOLA4416

Knutsford?

I think it's probably wise to stay within a reasonable walking distance of a train (or tram) station. Not just for commuting but for 'future proofing'. One doesn't know just yet how the oil price/car thing will play out.

Being a car journey away from train stations and also other public amenties such as supermarkets, healthcare etc etc might not look such a good bet in a few years. Of course we may transition to electric or hydrogen or other vehicles without skipping a beat in which case it won't matter, but buying any time in the foreseable that would be high on my list of priorities just in case.

This 'risk' is very noticeable (to me) when I visit friends who don't have these facilities on their door step. It doesn't seem to occur to them that they may not always have or be able to afford to run a car as cheaply as now when it takes them 20 minutes to reach a supermarket or 10 minutes drive to the nearest train station. I wonder how they would cope if circumstances changed and who might buy their (expensive) houses off them.

Ah you're talking after that horse has bolted here! I live in a rural area east of Knutsford, utterly reliant on cars. Sold in Manchester a year ago and renting now. We don't stretch ourselves so it would take petrol prices to treble or more to really hurt. Knutsford is ok but that's a poor train line and you have the plane noise.

I know the areas South of Timp, East to Disley, West to Lymm, South to Holmes Chapel all pretty well - know the areas we'd like but are constrained/reluctant to buy due to lack of supply/choice and anticipated price drops.

HOLA4417

Thanks for all the info.

Am widening my search area. Convinced the misses to head further south into Cheshire.

Am sick of living in chavsville city centre, or just off it.

So perhaps, Bramhall, Wilmslow, Cheadle, Hale, Altrincham, etc. Just depends what one can get for the budget.

Which parts of Cheadle and Cheadle Hulme are decent and which are to be avoided? What is it like as a place to live?

Likewise what about Bramhall as an area? Seems to be a few links on the web about it being full of Chavs (all back in 2005). Didn't get that impression from the first visit.

Also what is Handforth like?

I personlly just want the quietest place possible, work in Warrington so South Manchester suburbs suit me fine. Misses wants to be close to shops, dance classes, etc.

Had a look around Wilmslow and some decentish place around the £260-£270 mark but generally a bit smaller 2/3 bed terraces rather than the larger 3 bed semis of Sale.

How much would we say nominal prices are down from the peak in South Manchester suburbs? 15% or so?

An agent I spoke to said that the £250k-£300k 3 bed bracket is the most competitive for buyers so prices generally sell close to the asking price.

Edited by ringledman

HOLA4418

I don't know Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme or Bramhall well enough to recommend specific areas, but I'd say Bramhall seems fine overall. You get get reports of bad behaviour/teens hanging round causing trouble/gangs in parks etc in every area so I wouldn't put too much credence on what you've read about Bramhall - it's a good area.

I'm not a huge fan of Handforth - an empty suburb to Wilmslow from my perspective - redeeming features are lower prices and a train stn. At that distance Poynton is also ok, but would be a nightmare for Warrington. Despite the 'glam' reputation, Wilmslow centre is slightly similar to Sale's! i.e. a bland 60s arcade, although it does have very smart resisential areas, good train links, restaurants, schools etc.

Alty would be a good Trafford/Warrington travel compromise; Cheadle/Bramhall probably not that bad.

HOLA4419

Thanks for all the info.

Am widening my search area. Convinced the misses to head further south into Cheshire.

Am sick of living in chavsville city centre, or just off it.

So perhaps, Bramhall, Wilmslow, Cheadle, Hale, Altrincham, etc. Just depends what one can get for the budget.

Which parts of Cheadle and Cheadle Hulme are decent and which are to be avoided? What is it like as a place to live?

Likewise what about Bramhall as an area? Seems to be a few links on the web about it being full of Chavs (all back in 2005). Didn't get that impression from the first visit.

Also what is Handforth like?

I personlly just want the quietest place possible, work in Warrington so South Manchester suburbs suit me fine. Misses wants to be close to shops, dance classes, etc.

Had a look around Wilmslow and some decentish place around the £260-£270 mark but generally a bit smaller 2/3 bed terraces rather than the larger 3 bed semis of Sale.

How much would we say nominal prices are down from the peak in South Manchester suburbs? 15% or so?

An agent I spoke to said that the £250k-£300k 3 bed bracket is the most competitive for buyers so prices generally sell close to the asking price.

Don't let us put you off certain places if they meet your personal requirements/expectations.

I always found the city centre ideal for commuting to Warrington and latterly, S. Mcr is still reasonable for my commute but I am reluctant to stray any further east and need to use the M60. I made the move from Hulme 2 years ago for probably similar reasons you are looking to move. Despite the outstanding OFSTED rating of the local infant school, I didn't really want my toddler to be 'enjoying' such a 'multi-cultural' schooling so a move to middle class suburbia made a lot of sense. But some people are never happy, especially here that is home to the chattering classes. The perfectly decent, very local school is still not good enough for some parents and they would rather travel across town every day for 7 years. Anti-social behaviour doesn't just drink cider in bus shelters, its everywhere.

HOLA4420

This is no more than an idle observation that may be of use to to RLM but I've only been to work 10 times since the new year but I've been held up on the A56 approach to the Bowdon roundabout 3 times by traffic queueing to join the M56 E'bound and another 3 times on the M6 on the short stretch between the M56 and Woolston. I'm not sure if I've just been unlucky or there is a new trend in heavy traffic along this route but its adding 15-20mins+ to my journey most days now.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4421

Apologies to be joining the debate a bit late but this is my first visit to HPC for a while.

I live in Sale and agree with most of the comments. The ONE AND ONLY REASON to live in Sale is the schools. If you have or are planning to have kids then Sale offers an entry level to the South Trafford suburban dream of leafy suburbs, nice families, good transport links and of course excellent schools. If you don't have or plan to start a family there are more fashinable places to live, although Altrincham, Timperley and Cheadle wouldn't be the top of my list either.

FOR :

Great Schools

Good choice of affordable family homes

Good Transport Links (Tram, M60)

Decent shopping and Leisure Facilities

AGAINST

Metroland suburbia, street after street of 3 bed 1930s semis

Rough neighboring areas - Northern Moor, Stretford

Kids - yep they're everywhere

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Feels very odd writing this as I never expected to be considering Sale....but despite being reasonably familar with the area when passing through (& briefly living on Wardle road) I'm not too clued up on which residential areas are better or worse.

One of our options is South Manchester and I'd been considering Altrincham/Hale/Bowdon, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall etc. I haven't seen much that appeals in Cheadle Hulme/Bramhall except for on Bramhall Lane South - not keen as I don't want to be on a road that busy with young kids. Most of north Alty doesn't appeal, round Oldfield road is overpriced for some reason, I'd need an extra few hundred grand for the house/garden I'd want in Hale/Bowdon, so all of that has made me look at Sale with a fresh pair of eyes.

Basically for my money it may offer a decent mix of house/garden size, travel time into manc and decent schooling.

In terms of pros, I know some of the schools have a good reputation, I remember some very smart period residential roads and obviously a good tram time into Manchester. Counting against it is the town centre which I've always felt was a bit of a hole and always felt a little rough.

Anyone know what the area's like that's bounded by washway road to the east, the a6144 to the west and Harboro way to the south/west?

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Adding to this...

Brooklands - is there anything there? Beyond the tram and some decent schools, but any shops/pubs/cafes etc, or are you reliant on the few in Timp or Sale/Alty?

Unless your idea of a good night is 4 pints of Stella and some fish n chips - in a word, no. But with the metro this isn't really a problem... 20 mins say into Manchester.

HOLA4425

Unless your idea of a good night is 4 pints of Stella and some fish n chips - in a word, no. But with the metro this isn't really a problem... 20 mins say into Manchester.

Not going to turn my nose up at fish n chips! I was idly looking on RM at some of the houses on Brooklands road (good size, decent gardens) but have never been down that way beyond the washway road side of Brooklands metro. I guess if you live round there you're as likely to get the metro into Alty or town than walk up to Sale centre