House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Share Price Crash

CEO's come and go - and in the current case more likely the latter then the former.

Tescos market share is huge - nobody else comes close.

4% ish yield

I'll let you know if it's good investment in 5 years.......

:)

Which sites do you recommend for buying shares without having to carry out tons of research as to how it all works? A simple, find a company you like the look of, how well its doing and the option to buy or sell.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which sites do you recommend for buying shares without having to carry out tons of research as to how it all works? A simple, find a company you like the look of, how well its doing and the option to buy or sell.

www.digitallook.co.uk

It is never as simple as all that though. If you had held shares in Tesco yesterday, would you have seen this coming?

Possibly, but not necessarily. More people are coming to appreciate that Lidl and Aldi offer some good quality things you don't find elsewhere and are generally cheaper for branded essentials. I have a friend who is probably in the top 5% of earners in the UK, yet shops in Lidl fairly frequently because the nearby store is convenient and it's nice to pay less when you can.

Shopping in Lidl isn't an indication of poverty, in the same way shopping in Waitrose isn't an indication of wealth

How apt your user name ;)

Here is your opportunity to become the Tesco king of Canada.

Haha, I don't think so. I have wondered why Canadian supermarkets are so crap (or so very expensive for the few that aren't) but I think that's someone else's problem to resolve. I'm content enough to buy my basics from the cheap place and get the nice stuff from one or other of the small shops near my house.

Serves them well for screwing customers with false "cheap" or discounted goods and offering abysmal quality.

Their meat, veg and own branded stuff is always one day from rotting and absolutely disgusting.

Same prices in Sainsbury (actually it's cheaper there) with better quality and less contempt for the customer.

****** tesco.

+1

It has been very noticeable to me that this has been the case in the Swansea centre store since they modernised it in November. Loads of shelves with special offers... but all empty.

Now, if you only visit the store once a week you would believe that you were just unlucky... but I went into this store almost daily since it re-opened after the modernisation and several of the special offer shelves have been constantly empty.

+1

I found that things like their special offer cheaper laptop computers have never ever seemed to be in stock at any branch. It's often seemed like a special offer virtual reality land of fantasy. Alice would have been very much at home there.

Question: "When will they be available?"

Answer: "Err umm err umm if you come back in a few days time?".

A total waste of time.

Edited by billybong

+1

+2.

You've got to be a f*cking maths genius to work out the deals in most supermarkets - but Tescos is the worst.

Do they really think we don't notice this insult to our intelligence?! - all this per 100g on one brand per 0.25kg on the next, per item on the 3rd - FFS.

I'm so sick of it now I rarely buy anything that isn't reduced quite a bit (at least 25% off – preferably 50%), I'm loathed to pay full price - frankly I can go without / get something else or just wait until next time in a few weeks when it'll probably be reduced anyway. This actually works pretty well - if you've got reasonable sized cupboards stock up on stuff when its half price and it'll last until the same thing is on promotion again in 2-3 months time.

I was wondering about this the other day, Sainsbury’s had quite a bit of stuff I like at half price for a change - so I stocked up on half price HP beans, dishwasher tablets, cereal bars whatever. Do these promotions get taken into account in the inflation figures? In their obviously manipulated basket of goods they have basic grocery staples - does the treasury (or ONS whoever) buy the same brand of chicken nuggets for example each month? Do they always survey the same supermarkets and use just the cheapest or an average? I would've thought this could make quite a difference to the price of the same basket of goods (it does to mine!).

They was doing packs of Stella 10x440ml, 4 packs for £25 just before Xmas. That's £6.25 a pack :P That must have been a loss leader surely?

Sad i know but out of curiosity i done the maths to compare to the off licence. At 500ml Tesco was doing 35 cans. My off licence sells 24 cans for £27.99.

I went down and got some more :D

Just curious - this question was posted at FT Av - how many of you here will not simply go to the nearest (from work/home) supermarket to do the weekly shop ?

If not, what is the maximum distance you will go to get a cheaper/higher quality shop?

We won't use our nearest supermarkets, instead travelling 10 or 12 miles away purely to avoid bumping into work colleagues, neighbours, friends, relatives.

Theres nothing worse* than being on a mission to do your shopping, and collect the shopping lists of elderly neighbours, and seeing some dope you can't abide ambling through the aisles like they have all day - or all night. Especially when two suchlike are blocking everybody whilst discussing Steven Gertrude in the tunnel or whatever his name is.

Through my Intergalactic Gargle Blaster, the message from Tesco Phil on the news was, everybody else is cheaper, and customers go there instead - something Leahy would never have let happen, though he may have talked about Gertrude in the tunnel.

Baffling as offers are, two powerful consumer groups are notably adept at sorting out supermarket pricing, both largely because they have time on their hands to do so.

The unemployed and the retired.

You can't fool everybody all of the time.

* OK there are things worse.

Edited by Walton Goggins

You do know that the meat for sainsubrys and tesco comes from the same farms, suppliers and factories St. Merryn Meat Ltd, Tulip foods etc..

You do know you are just paying extra for the packaging, Image and brand. You do know that don't you?? You might also be surprised to know that the flour for the bread also comes from the same supplier.

Tesco French granny smith or Sainsburys French granny smith apples? Well there is no difference except the price you pay.

People might have been surprised to know that Woolworths (I used to work at their Head Office) schoolwear was made by the same suppliers as M & S Schoolwear, to extremely similar quality standards.

They was doing packs of Stella 10x440ml, 4 packs for £25 just before Xmas. That's £6.25 a pack :P That must have been a loss leader surely?

Sad i know but out of curiosity i done the maths to compare to the off licence. At 500ml Tesco was doing 35 cans. My off licence sells 24 cans for £27.99.

Did you enjoy the hangover headaches? ;)

Or, is it just that me and Stella don't mix.

It's getting beyond a joke. A local supermarket used the BIG small trick on a dump-bin recently to try and make people think what was actually costing them £8 was only £2

save

£2

normal price £10 now £8

hehe you summed that up pretty good. I was talking about dual pricing the other day in the John Lewis thread. My mother got fooled. In your example, she thought she was paying £2, but it turned out to be £8 at the till.

She was not happy, and I told her shops were using every trick in the book, everything is baited, so be careful not to take it hook line and sinker. She is now more cautious with Tesco, and I doubt the trust will be built back up soon. Call it deceitful, call it liar pricing. Lies permeate the country now. "You can judge a nations integrity by its currency".

Oh even MrT, me, master of the universe, the elite, the big bass fish*, was fooled by the IKEA breakfast - take a tip, it is only 99p if you show your membership card. You can register for free outside the restaurant and receive a temporary card.

rapala-cd11-magnum-bass-plug.jpg

*Big bass are harder to catch because they are able to grow big by not being caught easily.

Yes, people are fed up with their sharp discounting practices, but I think their problem is much simpler than that.. They're just too expensive. People know they can do their weekly shop for nearly half the price at Lidl / Aldi.

Tesco used to be cheap, now it isn't.

Edited by exiges

Heard him talk about them not doing enough 'promotions'.

A classic sign that he indeed doesn't know what he is doing.

Safeway went exactly the same way...lots of promos...all designed to hoodwink customers. Before their demise led to them being taken over by a much more savvy operator that many still look down their noses at.

Crap approach.

...customers are NOT a stupid as they look, and news travels fast. ;)

I've posted this before, but still.

Tesco before Christmas:

Asahi beer, 500ml bottle, £1.66.

SPECIAL OFFER - 3 for £5.00

Retards.

I've always found the barclaysstockbrokers web-site easy to use.

Or if you have internet banking with HSBC, they have an easy to use facility as well.

Yes, people are fed up with their sharp discounting practices, but I think their problem is much simpler than that.. They're just too expensive. People know they can do their weekly shop for nearly half the price at Lidl / Aldi.

Tesco used to be cheap, now it isn't.

They used to be able to straddle the middle ground and do both price and quality - i.e. 'Finest' stuff and basics stuff. The problem is their 'Finest' range is more like 'Just About Acceptable' and the basics stuff is undercut by Aldi/Lidl.

Put the farcical offers in along with staff who seem to have given up bothering to even pretend to care and what do you expect?

I know you are joking Catsick, but for the benefit of any new investors thinking of taking a punt, price:earnings ratio is in no way the same as yield. Plenty of companies with a P:E of 9 will earn you 0% on your money.

Catsick is correct. PE of 9 means that the company is adding to its equity at the rate of 11%pa. The money may not be passed to you (As dividend), but it

increases the book value of the company and long term investor assumed that the money will be theirs eventually.

Tesco dividend yield is around 4.7% at the moment, so that is the money that you can get your hands on. It is perfectly possible to finance the trade at around 2%-3%,

the deal is pretty good.

I know you are joking Catsick, but for the benefit of any new investors thinking of taking a punt, price:earnings ratio is in no way the same as yield. Plenty of companies with a P:E of 9 will earn you 0% on your money.

The underlying earning of the company at 34 pence a share represents a rate of earning on shares at 317 pence of close to 11% , I didn't say the dividend was 11% but that is the return the company is making on your behalf.