House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fancypants

Railtrack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4340794.stm

would be interested in reading people's thoughts on this. You might think it is not HPC related, but I think it is indicative of the trend toward the end of the speculative bubble of the last 10 years... first shares now property (and soon the last bit of shares??)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4340794.stm

would be interested in reading people's thoughts on this. You might think it is not HPC related, but I think it is indicative of the trend toward the end of the speculative bubble of the last 10 years... first shares now property (and soon the last bit of shares??)

The shareholders didn't actually lose (and I'm sppeaking as one). Despite the mismanagement on a truly grand scale they got pretty well all their capital back and as usual the bill was picked up by the dear old state. That is the real scandal of this sorry episode.

The current court case would not have made much difference.

I knew someone who was a railtrack shareholder

Incidently, he bought his first property in the south-west mid last year too

Not doing to well is he :lol:

Edited by Ritters

The shareholders didn't actually lose (and I'm sppeaking as one). Despite the mismanagement on a truly grand scale they got pretty well all their capital back and as usual the bill was picked up by the dear old state. That is the real scandal of this sorry episode.

The current court case would not have made much difference.

should have said... shareholders lose the case. Apologies.

I assume that you got shares in the initial flotation?

Right. They lost the case but not their original capital. I did indeed pick up the shares in the original flotation.

Indeed & this seems to be getting lost in the reporting. Those that lost out were those that joined in the latter stages of a speculative bubble. Now what does that remind me of?

Byers is obviously a slimeball, but not much sympathy with the shareholders generally. Not clear to me why taxpayers should prop up a failing company so that private individuals can benefit. Remember folks, stocks can go down as well as up.

Byers is obviously a slimeball, but not much sympathy with the shareholders generally. Not clear to me why taxpayers should prop up a failing company so that private individuals can benefit. Remember folks, stocks can go down as well as up.

precisely my view. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth no doubt, but these people who lost money only got involved because they expected to make some. Another tough lesson for those who believed in "one way bets"

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Institutional shareholders accepted the government's eventual compensation offer of around 250p a share, but the private shareholders wanted much more.

Did they? Whoopee for them.

:rolleyes:

Guest Bart of Darkness
Remember folks, stocks can go down as well as up.

Just what I was thinking.

Personal responsibility for one's own decisions and actions. It's almost a lost art in this country.