House Price Crash Forum

Took opportunity of no-one in our hotel this weekend to go to cinema.

7:30pm showing of "Hugo" at Bristol St Philips causeway.

Including us 4 total in show was 12 !

I have previously been in Longwell Green midweek when only and I and the kids and certain property show presenter and his youngster were the only ones in the show but I was really shocked to see how few were in last night. Car park outside was virtually empty - we parked on front row across from cinema.

They cannot have come close to covering costs.

Film was great by the way. Thoroughly recommended.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually just go out for a meal.

Good Pizza place on Cheltenham Rd Bristol or recently went to ZsaZsa Bazaar on harbourside.

Tonight cinema and MacDs ( we go about 3 times a year to the latter) and happy kids and less dosh than we usually spend. ZZB for example was £75 including a decent bottle of wine. Oh and ZZB was very busy early but much quieter later (this was just before Christmas).

I have so far in my life managed to be the only person watching for two films: John Carpenter's "In The Mouth Of Madness", which was quite good, and "Evil Aliens", which wasn't. My previous best was watching Peter Jackson's "Braindead" in 1993 (yes, it had a UK theatrical release). I and my friend comprised a third of the audience.

:D

Took opportunity of no-one in our hotel this weekend to go to cinema.

7:30pm showing of "Hugo" at Bristol St Philips causeway.

Including us 4 total in show was 12 !

I have previously been in Longwell Green midweek when only and I and the kids and certain property show presenter and his youngster were the only ones in the show but I was really shocked to see how few were in last night. Car park outside was virtually empty - we parked on front row across from cinema.

They cannot have come close to covering costs.

Film was great by the way. Thoroughly recommended.

.... and I thought I was diplexic! :/ Wow.... You didn't happen to score some weed on the way back did you?

January is traditionally a slow month in the fleapit business and from what I've heard, Hugo has bombed at the box office; but even so, four punters for the main Friday evening show is apocalyptically bad.

During my time in the cinema industry (1988 to 2000) I can recall two films that achieved the rare feat of precisely zero punters for the main Saturday evening show: Photographing Fairies and the deceptively entitled Ma Vie Sexuelle. It's deceptive, because there isn't actually any sex in it - just ten or eleven reels of some loser complaining about the fact that he doesn't have any. For a joint close second, Washington Square and Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask achieved Friday and Saturday audiences in single figures.

All these were shown at an arthouse I worked at at a time when the Lottery was subsidising the production and distribution of some quite spectularly awful sh!te (even the arty, PC mags such as Sight and Sound judged these films as such), and in order to justify their existence, we were forced to show these films as part of the Arts Council (and later UK Film Council, known as **** to its detractors) subsidy we needed to keep the doors open. From about 1997 until the mid '00s, taxpayers were handing over a significant amount of money to these places, quite literally to show films to empty houses.

Edit: in 1998, the Wail published this article, ranting about the Lottery-funded flops. We all had a giggle about it at the time, because pretty much all the films cited were ones that we'd shown to almost empty auditoria. My Name is Joe is one I'd forgotten about: it's a bleak, gritty Ken Loach tidings of comfort and joy-fest about a Glaswegian alcoholic taxi driver who suffers various misfortunes before hanging himself in his Gorbals council flat in the final scene. We showed it in the week before Christmas in 1999, with It's a Wonderful Life in the other screen. The only punters we got for the Loach misery were those who couldn't get in to Wonderful Life and didn't want to go home without seeing something. By the end of the week the box office staff were actually encouraging people to save their money and go to the pub instead, and I couldn't bring myself to stop them, such were the walkouts and complaints we got from the few who actually went in.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

I have so far in my life managed to be the only person watching for two films: John Carpenter's "In The Mouth Of Madness", which was quite good, and "Evil Aliens", which wasn't. My previous best was watching Peter Jackson's "Braindead" in 1993 (yes, it had a UK theatrical release). I and my friend comprised a third of the audience.

:D

A former colleague of mine, Craig Smith, grew up in New Zealand with Jackson as best mates. Together with a bunch of friends they made Jackson's first movie Bad Taste, now a cult classic. Since then Jackson hasn't looked back and Smith and he still remain best mates to this day.

Edited by nmarks

A former colleague of mine, Craig Smith, grew up in New Zealand with Jackson as best mates. Together with a bunch of friends they made Jackson's first movie Bad Taste, now a cult classic. Since then Jackson hasn't looked back and Smith and he still remain best mates to this day.

An awesome movie - I'd post an image from it but it would probably get taken down.

Bad taste was awesome.

Went to see mission impossible 3 couple weeks ago and it seemed 80% or more full. Surprising as most other times I've gone cinema was 0-30% full

Oh and the film was crap

What they need to do is have a yearly family ticket. 50 films for a family for £3-500 (obviously non peak times)

Every time I get dragged to the mulitplex these days I'm just appalled by the dim, blurred image, booming audio, and general poor presentation. I own a not-particularly-flash plasma tv and a blu-ray player which looks and sounds far better. I've always loved cinema, but if this is what it has come to let's put it out of its misery and get something from Lovefilm.

I can only remember once being the only person in the audience. That was christmas 1975, when Kubrick's Barry Lyndon was booked for three whole weeks at our local fleapit. I think almost every cinema in the land was obliged to run it for three weeks at christmas, a huge misjudgement by Warner Bros. After that I'm surprised the cinema industry managed to hang on long enough for Star Wars to rescue it.

Wife & I took the opportunity of some free baby sitting, to enjoy a meal out & sherlock holmes at the Vue basingstoke recently. I love the cinema, although find it overpriced. You have to choose your cinema carefully though. Cineworld gives the best experience, followed by Vue then Odeon, in my humble opinion. Anyway, our screen was about quarter full that Saturday evening. Really enjoyed the movie.

Last 2 visits to the cinema have crossed my personal threshold for pain on the cost front. Over 18 quid for 2 tickets is really not on for the experience you have.

I do agree though that Hugo is an amazing film. I went to see that in 3d and the cinematography was incredible but again it cost more than 20 quid. I think I would actually prefer to buy a new 3d telly 500 and a full sky 3d package. Think that it would be better value for money over time

I think you mean Mission Impossible 4. I saw it the other day and thought it was great fun.

Edit: Haggis, if you have a cineworld nearby, go on a Tuesday or Thursday - tickets are only £4.50.

Went to see mission impossible 3 couple weeks ago and it seemed 80% or more full. Surprising as most other times I've gone cinema was 0-30% full

Oh and the film was crap

What they need to do is have a yearly family ticket. 50 films for a family for £3-500 (obviously non peak times)

Edited by OzzMosiz

we were debating this in another thread recently.a lot of it is down to the cost as it's no longer a cheap night out.especially if you buy the overpriced goodies from the cinema.

besides that people mentioned the rise of the mobile phone with people texting and talking through movies

and the rise of home cinema systems

haven't been in a few years at least.

sad really as I loved it as a kid.

we were debating this in another thread recently.a lot of it is down to the cost as it's no longer a cheap night out.especially if you buy the overpriced goodies from the cinema.[/i]

It's the whole 'experience' of going to the cinema I hate*. A 3 mile drive (I live in the sticks), £'s to park, £'s to go in, and then being sat next to some **** who can't sit down and watch a film for an hour and a half without staffing their face with pop corn**. While texting and talking. Yeuch.

* But then I am 46. And as Robbie Williams put it "..... when I'm drunk, I dance like my Dad, I've started to dress a bit like him" so perhaps that explains it !

** Remember that Mr Bean episode wher he buys a bucket of pop corn. I always seem to get stuck next to him.

Edited by Leo Dumpmen

I went to see Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows at Showcase in Bristol's Cabot Circus - an OK movie and I had nothing wrong with the presentation/amenities. There were enough people going and I do not sense a trend of serious decline in cinema visits (also cinema kinda went downhill in the 1970s).

it's a bleak, gritty Ken Loach tidings of comfort and joy-fest about a Glaswegian alcoholic taxi driver who suffers various misfortunes before hanging himself in his Gorbals council flat in the final scene.

Sounds like a HPCer's fantasy film full of fun, laughter and frolicks, yes?

Every time I get dragged to the mulitplex these days I'm just appalled by the dim, blurred image....

I own a not-particularly-flash plasma tv and a blu-ray player which looks and sounds far better.

So it's not just my eyes.

My friend's Samsung TV (not top of the range by any means) looks way better than the washed-out, fuzzy image on display at my local Odeon. And Sheffield Odeon's speakers are crap!

Cineworld gives the best experience, followed by Vue then Odeon, in my humble opinion.

That certainly sems to be the situation in Sheffield. Even the smaller Cineworld screens are more impressive than pretty much any of the Sheffield Odeon's screens.

Personally, I don't go to the cinema these days unless "dragged" there by friends (Sureshlock Holmes 2. Why, why?) or I go to a freebie.