House Price Crash Forum

Youth Disenfranchised Because

We could have more jobs if the things we have to buy weren't so expensive.

For example, if my weekly food bill was £30 less and my gas/electricity perhaps £10 less per week, I could employ someone for a couple of hours.

I could easily find work for them, such as gardening, decorating, car washing, small repairs, cleaning, ironing etc...

My guess would be that most people would much rather line the pockets of a local worker than those of Tesco and British Gas shareholders.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mis-read the thread title. It is "Youth Disenfranchised Because" not "Youth Grateful Because".

Boast about all the hand-outs that you get via extortion from us on another thread.

TMO, you should be ashamed at yourself. This was a glib response and aimed at the wrong person. You should say sorry and hope to move on.

My gas rates are the most expensive. I don't use my heating, I just use gas for heating water. My annual bill for gas and electric is just under £280, most of the electricity is at 23p/kWh rather than the ~10p it falls to if your a high user.

That's rather a lot for a young, single person without a serious health issue ...

Like I said, work has little/no bearing upon income.

Indeedie. I think we can agree on that.

If we had true capitalism I would be miles better off, as there would be an incentive to work, and I'd be out there grafting.

A hell of a lot of people would be a lot worse off, often the likes of whom, who would readily slag me off.

No, we'd be better off in general, for precisely the same reason as you would. Lots of people motivated to do something productive.

If I worked full time, after transport costs I would be some £40/week better off. That buys you 13 pints.

In my first full-time job after graduating, I was £1/week better off than the dole. That was after rent[1] but before transport costs, let alone the cost of getting lunch at central London sandwich bar rates.

[1] On a grotty room in a grotty house in a grotty area, and without luxuries like hot water.

We could have more jobs if the things we have to buy weren't so expensive.

For example, if my weekly food bill was £30 less and my gas/electricity perhaps £10 less per week, I could employ someone for a couple of hours.

I could easily find work for them, such as gardening, decorating, car washing, small repairs, cleaning, ironing etc...

My guess would be that most people would much rather line the pockets of a local worker than those of Tesco and British Gas shareholders.

The self-delusion index?

Food and energy costs are within a gnats whisker of an all-time low. The food and power £30/week and £10/week buy you today would've been a struggle (if not totally out of reach) for the vast majority, not just through history and the world, but in the UK as recently as the 1970s.

You could afford to pay someone for gardening/etc but you choose to gorge yourself instead.

(So do I. The difference is, I'm not blaming it on food/energy costs).

As someone else said....there is a lack of opportunities for the young to progress, too many so called educated graduates that have invested years of, some may say part time study into gaining qualifications where either no wants the skills they have learned or no one will pay the price for it......it was not that long ago when labour was that much in demand that companies in London provided paid accommodation for staff to travel from all over the country to work and provide paid training at the same time, most of these people were A level school leavers, many were 16 years of age....the days when employers paid for training they required and invested greatly in their employees. ;)

But did they ever have any opportunity? Even in the days of manufacturing, it would be a lifetime in a dead end job, or worse blown to bits in a war. The saving grace of the dead job in the immediate post war period would at least be a house bought and paid for in a few years, whereas now its a dead end job and renting forever.

I agree that the intelligent reaction is avoid being exploited.Even self (un)employment is a form of exploitation, just hoovering up the scraps left behind by corporates. Its probably why I notice the "yoof" of today only becoming illuminated by iPhones and celebrity trivia, or lost in the latest computer game.

They still buy houses.........for their landlords (or the taxpayer funds the landlord's purchase via Housing Benefit). Either way the good old days when landlords boasted of their single BTL property have long gone. Nowadays if you aint got a portfolio you aint shite.

"Why do you think we have mass youth unemployment? "

The answer is technology. There are simply not enough jobs, and too many people.

It used to take days by horse and cart to get to London. Now it takes a few hours, and you don't even have to travel - get the message to London in seconds at a click of a mouse.

I laugh at people rushing about in cars, with their furrowed brows. Stressed mums on their phones, rushing from shop to shop.

We're stressed more than ever, yet we as a group more productive than ever. We should have more time and be wealthier. Yet we have more rules and regulations, and fines if you don't do this, or do that.

It's more because the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.Think these council CEOs on 250,000 a year really earn their wages?

It's not about left vs right anymore as anyone can see the blindingly obvious , wealth distribution is out of whack.CEOs get too much , politicians get too much and houses are too expensive.

As someone else said....there is a lack of opportunities for the young to progress, too many so called educated graduates that have invested years of, some may say part time study into gaining qualifications where either no wants the skills they have learned or no one will pay the price for it......it was not that long ago when labour was that much in demand that companies in London provided paid accommodation for staff to travel from all over the country to work and provide paid training at the same time, most of these people were A level school leavers, many were 16 years of age....the days when employers paid for training they required and invested greatly in their employees. ;)

why the should they anymore... the goverment has allowed them to hire from offshore without thinking the impact his will have to the youth and to the internal market.

How are people suppose to support the UK market when they dont have jobs?

Labour/Tories just went and sold out everything, outsourced everything and that was it. Now the youth (and us) pays the price..

All that was done in the name of the "Free Market" but now when the free market wants to adjust the house prices, then they make sure that the market is not free at all...

why the should they anymore... the goverment has allowed them to hire from offshore without thinking the impact his will have to the youth and to the internal market.

How are people suppose to support the UK market when they dont have jobs?

Labour/Tories just went and sold out everything, outsourced everything and that was it. Now the youth (and us) pays the price..

All that was done in the name of the "Free Market" but now when the free market wants to adjust the house prices, then they make sure that the market is not free at all...

The whole country is hostage to the financial elite in the "square mile" which operates at the expense of this country not for the good of it. The sooner the parasites F*** off and wreck some other "host" the better. Terry's of York, Cadbury's etc plus a slew of manufacturing firms, the list is endless.

The whole country is hostage to the financial elite in the "square mile" which operates at the expense of this country not for the good of it. The sooner the parasites F*** off and wreck some other "host" the better. Terry's of York, Cadbury's etc plus a slew of manufacturing firms, the list is endless.

It is complete shambles. We save the bankers but we dont save companies like Marconi.

We sell Qinetiq for nothing...

And when the free market says this bank is bankrupt, we just keep giving them in order to get their bonuses.

And when the free market says houses are over valued, we do not allow the correction.. We just do our best to screw the savers/pensioners and the youth.

The whole system is stupid..

and the MPs just sell us ********..

I've been thinking about why people are feeling disenfranchised just now more than ever so I'm going to brain dump my ideas onto this thread.

I reckon people's expectations of life style just now are way out of whack with reality and that is mainly down to the media and television that is currently popular. If you look back 20 years the popular shows at the time showed people living in normal flats with normal lives. I.e. Only fools and horses, step toe and son, brookside etc etc. Now people seem to spend their time watching 'reality shows' where everyone is a millionaire. Only way is Essex, meet the kardasians, the hills, if you are watching that then looking at your own life it's no surprise you feel annoyed.

Career progression. It may be the case that working in a minimum wage job means that you will not be able to afford a great deal more than you would if you were on benefits but if you work hard and get promoted then you will get wealthier over time. If you stay on benefits you are always going to be skint. Ive personally seen places in the world we're people work from dusk till Dawn on subsistence farms tending to their fields with ox drawn tools. I'm sure they would love the lifestyle of anyone in the uk. There's not much chance of moving up the ladder in this job but they did seem happy.

I didn't think people in this country realise how lucky they actually are. You might feel better if you compare your situation against people with harder life's than you than to footballers and celeb millionaires.

But I'm normally a grumpy Fu@@@r just feeling positive today. :)

The market value for a literate, pc skilled worker with a good work ethic (along with problem solving skills that can reduce task costs or time), is around £7 hour. If you take a young person aside and tell them after years of school and a degree you to can get £13k a year for the rest of your life with little chance of a pay rise, guess what? Screw starting a family, pissing half your wage away in rent. Cans of beer at home with the xbox is starting to sound like the intelligent choice.

In my first full-time job after graduating, I was £1/week better off than the dole. That was after rent[1] but before transport costs, let alone the cost of getting lunch at central London sandwich bar rates.

I don't know when you graduated but the difference between when I got out of university and now is that there was a lot less competition and prospects were better back then. And I'm comparing with the late 1980s which didn't seem so hot at the time

I know how people in the 2nd half of their lives are supposed to get off on telling young people how hard things were when they were young but my heart's really not in it

The market value for a literate, pc skilled worker with a good work ethic (along with problem solving skills that can reduce task costs or time), is around £7 hour. If you take a young person aside and tell them after years of school and a degree you to can get £13k a year for the rest of your life with little chance of a pay rise, guess what? Screw starting a family, pissing half your wage away in rent. Cans of beer at home with the xbox is starting to sound like the intelligent choice.

13k is the starting salary. You can learn things while you work and then try to do better for yourself. We a rapidly finding out that the current benefit system cant be paid for sitting at home on the xbox is not going to be option for much longer. Theres slot of people who would love to sit in a warm in office all day.

It isn't a great salary, but why do you think that being literate and able to use office should pay more than that?

It isn't a great salary, but why do you think that being literate and able to use office should pay more than that?

Simply because there are millions of people who are not literate, at least not in English, who can not use office but who "earn" more than £13k.

Somewhere down the line the market needs to get real.

Simply because there are millions of people who are not literate, at least not in English, who can not use office but who "earn" more than £13k.

Somewhere down the line the market needs to get real.

but I'm sure for the jobs they're doing, being litrate or using office isn't required. Not going to be much use if your laying bricks or cleaning a toilet, but if no one else can/ wants to do that then of course those jobs will pay more.

Why would that be wrong?

but I'm sure for the jobs they're doing, being litrate or using office isn't required. Not going to be much use if your laying bricks or cleaning a toilet, but if no one else can/ wants to do that then of course those jobs will pay more.

Why would that be wrong?

I think you missed the quotation marks around "earn"

Why would that be wrong?

I was referring to the difference between unemployment benefits and paid employment not between different types of employment.

FYI: If you are a graduate and you fancy a job cleaning toilets or stacking shelves the last thing you should do is let the potential employer know just how literate you are.

I've been thinking about why people are feeling disenfranchised just now more than ever so I'm going to brain dump my ideas onto this thread.

I didn't think people in this country realise how lucky they actually are. You might feel better if you compare your situation against people with harder life's than you than to footballers and celeb millionaires.

But I'm normally a grumpy Fu@@@r just feeling positive today. :)

Absolute material wealth isn't the only kind of wealth.

Yes, I can listen to my ipod in my centrally heated flat but my family will always be under the thumb of a landlord and the threat of eviction. I live in a world where a garden is a luxury only slightly more affordable than having my wife actually care for our children.

Meanwhile I get to watch the rich getting richer off the back of my hard work, whilst any chance of social advancement slowly slips away.

No, the young should be rioting. The more interesting question is why they aren't.

13k is the starting salary. You can learn things while you work and then try to do better for yourself. We a rapidly finding out that the current benefit system cant be paid for sitting at home on the xbox is not going to be option for much longer. Theres slot of people who would love to sit in a warm in office all day.

I think xbox, and cans of beer are within the budget of a youth at home with mum and dad.

There certainly are a lot of people wanting a nice office job in the warm, it pays £7 suck it up. The kind of people I work with have worked in accounts, worked as a temps all there lives, one had that £20k council job. Maybe you fail to grasp the shear scale of 27+ falling out of the job market hoovering up the scraps. In the south it certainly is the case. Another guy I worked with went from a £30k job to having 2 cleaning jobs and a driver position while juggling all the bills. I've seen a secretary, clueless regarding care work queuing for an interview in the job centre, her redundancy package was running out.

Currently I earn £500 more than my first job in the 90's. Perhaps I should take your advice and sign up for that ONC in Religious Studies and start praying :).

Career progression. It may be the case that working in a minimum wage job means that you will not be able to afford a great deal more than you would if you were on benefits but if you work hard and get promoted then you will get wealthier over time. If you stay on benefits you are always going to be skint. Ive personally seen places in the world we're people work from dusk till Dawn on subsistence farms tending to their fields with ox drawn tools. I'm sure they would love the lifestyle of anyone in the uk. There's not much chance of moving up the ladder in this job but they did seem happy.

:)

You won't. You will in fact, most likely be working for an agency.. for ever, in a dumbed down microtasked job, that offers little opportunity for advancement, or for useful/tradable crossover skills to be acquired.