House Price Crash Forum

Retailers Crying Wolf – Again

HOLA441

Yep. Correct all over.

Kenwood Triblade -£59.99 at John Lewis

£54.99 on co-op electrical

Having said that their sales can be cheaper. In store I did find some items were cheaper then on the internet however. I bought some Swiss Kitchen knifes for £12 that are £18 on amazon.

I was only in John Lewis a few days because I was looking to spend my £50 John Lewis vouchers (earned by winning a Halloween fancy dress - I went as Gaddafi).

http://www.johnlewis.com/Magazine/Feature.aspx?Id=517&intcmp=HP_header_nku_211011

They price match - just ask for the money back.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Dead and covered in blood and having had a knife rammed up your jacksie?

Or in full regalia with luscious female bodyguards in uniform?

Almost.

Ripped up brown t shirt, covert in fake black soot. Loads of fake blood all over my face, a wig that was originally intended to be used as a Michael Jackson thriller wig, and a fez type thing that my old dear picked up whilst on holiday in Egypt a few years back.

I also had a belt of fake rifle bullets around me. I did actually have a fake knife with a blood stain on it too. It turned out to be a bit of a silly idea because as everyone got more and more drunk, I got more and more plastic knives in the direction of my jacksie.

HOLA444

Not sure about the original point being made in this thread.

1) A company with an exceptional business model is being used to "prove" a point. John Lewis (and Waitrose) are organised very differently compared to the shared equity-leveraged buyout model that seems to be taking over the high street.

2) And even though they're doing very well in maintaining, and even taking, market share, they are taking hits on margins.

I don't get the stuff about it being for posh people either.

I shop with John Lewis because they have a good range of stuff, at reasonable prices, with good warranties. If I buy a laptop from DSG, then I get pressured into buying extended warranties, and sometimes signing away my consumer rights, for under-specified, over-priced cr@p. If I buy it from John Lewis, they are only there to sell me the laptop, no pressure to buy anything else, or to sign away my rights.

I also shop with them because I like the business model. There's a reason why the staff are cheerful, respectful, and motivated to sell you what you actually want to buy rather than gouge you for rip-off extras.

HOLA445

John Lewis is an honest shop. You know what you're getting, you know what you're paying. None of this dual pricing - you've got to be a member etc. Honest like GOLD, and that is why it outshines the rest. Not everyone has the internet, and those without the internet need the honest impartial advice that the staff have on hand.

It is ripe for a private equity take over however!

HOLA446

John Lewis is an honest shop. You know what you're getting, you know what you're paying. None of this dual pricing - you've got to be a member etc. Honest like GOLD, and that is why it outshines the rest. Not everyone has the internet, and those without the internet need the honest impartial advice that the staff have on hand.

I think they launched a retail 'bond' recently. Capital raising is different because of the company ownership structure but I think they see it as a competitve advantage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/mar/06/john-lewis-retail-bond

edit: don't know about PE interest

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA447

I also shop with them because I like the business model. There's a reason why the staff are cheerful, respectful, and motivated to sell you what you actually want to buy rather than gouge you for rip-off extras.

Me too.

And I don't find them any more expensive as they have the "never knowingly undersold" promise which they keep.

Even when I was technically in the wrong (I bought a hoover, saw what I thought was an identical one on special offer somewhere else but the model was very, very slightly different) they still refunded the difference in price.

Likewise when our wedding crockery got broken when it was delivered they could not have done more and when a non-stick pan lost its non-stick within a few months they replaced it no questions asked.

HOLA448

Me too.

And I don't find them any more expensive as they have the "never knowingly undersold" promise which they keep.

Even when I was technically in the wrong (I bought a hoover, saw what I thought was an identical one on special offer somewhere else but the model was very, very slightly different) they still refunded the difference in price.

Likewise when our wedding crockery got broken when it was delivered they could not have done more and when a non-stick pan lost its non-stick within a few months they replaced it no questions asked.

I think thats it, they are very helpful and generally the products are good quality, for exactly the reason that they do support them and hence they do not want bad quality things in the shop.

I don't buy much, I actually consider myself tight as arseholes, I often go supermarket bargain reductions shopping at 7pm, but I still buy some things for John Lewis.

In fact the main reason i don't use them that often is simply because they are in a great big shopping center that I hate parking in etc, I'd rather stay a bit further out and not in a multi-story car park.

It does remind me, we had our wedding list there. We had some really lovely things and I wouldn't swap any of them looks wise, however our plates have not really done very well, they look worn already and I was going to email them, I might do it now and see how I get on.

HOLA449

Used to use Waitrose a lot when I lived in London. They only have a serious presence in the South/South East? London is still booming evidently and the rest of the country can go to hell in a hand cart no doubt! :huh:

Update: out of 35 stores, four are in London.

it is cheaper than other stores like tescos etc.. the food is much nicer free range meat is so much cheaper there.Tesco food is just bland no taste etc.. pure processed crap.they dont have the same crappy advertising like tescos etc...

i purchased a phone from tescos took my almost 6 months to get a refund because the phone was faulty there stores managers dont know about the sales of goods act, one even said they never heard of it.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA4410

as they have the "never knowingly undersold" promise which they keep.

Apparently they have an interesting trick regarding their 2 year guarantee.

John Lewis: never knowingly undersold?

John Lewis's refund policy just doesn't wash

John Lewis changes its Never Knowingly Undersold price vow by the back door

John Lewis alters 'never knowingly undersold' promise

HOLA4411

Can that happen without the staff voting for demutualisation first?

From the Wikipedia page:

"In 1999, in response to a fall in profits, there were calls from some Partners for the business to be demutualised and floated on the stock market. If this had gone through, each Partner would have been guaranteed a windfall of up to £100,000 each, in order to compensate them for their share of the business. In the end, no one on the Partnership Council agreed with the idea and only one member spoke in favour of a referendum on the issue."

I'm sure that kind of windfall would be tempting, and I wouldn't bet on a "No" result if it ever did go to a referendum. However, it looks any demutualisation campaign would have to be organised to the point where they can get their people into the Partnership Council.

I would bet, on the other hand, that it would go down the toilet just like the rest if it ever happens.